User Tag List

Thread: Good quality home-gym equipment ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good quality home-gym equipment ???

Since no one knows when our gym at work is going to reopen, I thinking of upgrading my VKR machine at home. (VKR = Vertical Knee Raise, but (humble-brag) I use it for leg raises, because vkrs got to be too easy) For folks who aren't familiar with them, they're one of the best tools for core strengthening exercises, which as we all know, help a lot on the bike.

I have a Bodysolid model that cost less than $200, and now that I've used it for quite a while I realize that it's a pretty bad design - it only has two vertical support legs, which really aren't enough, so it deflects quite a bit while in use, and most annoyingly, it squeaks like crazy as the bolted joints rug against each other. The better ones have either three, or better yet, four vertical supports.

So, I'm looking for a better one, and I'm hoping for some recommendations from you guys on brands that have impressed you. The VKR machine at my gym is a Hammer Strength (see image below) and I really like it, but it costs around $1400, and I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much. In the image it looks a bit spindly, but in person it's very well made and super-strong. (Ability to do pull-ups on it is nice, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker if it doesn't have that.)

I also have a PowerTec back extension machine at home and it's also a very good piece of equipment, so I may go with their model of the VKR.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a high-quality item for home use that maybe doesn't have to be quite as over-designed as stuff that's used and abused 24-7 in commercial gyms. Any ideas on brands you like?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Good quality home-gym equipment ???

I forgot to mention, I have been on the lookout for used commercial stuff, but they aren't that easy to find, and so far have come up empty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you only have two complaints:

1. The stiffness of the unit.
    2. The creaking of the joints.

I'd suggest bringing that thing to a welding shop and asking them to add another vertical brace. I have a local welding shop that specializes in iron railings and such. I can submit photos of a request for work and they'll respond. Perhaps you have someone local as well. Even if you paid an additional $200 for the work, I think you'd still come out ahead and be happy, too.

For the creaking issue, I'd get plastic washers from the hardware store and place them between the offending parts. Or just grease the interface points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.roguefitness.com/

Super happy with the equipment I've purchased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I forgot to mention, I have been on the lookout for used commercial stuff, but they aren't that easy to find, and so far have come up empty.
    I found one (Googe search) near me in Raleigh, NC. The outfit sells a mix of used commercial and new commercial/consumer products. Brands I never heard of.....the consumer products are knockoffs from Vietnam. It was the only place in town that had weights in stock..........business is booming and I paid dearly for what I purchased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you just have dumbells you can accomplish what you need. Throw in situps and planks with some yoga.

You don't need to be equipment heavy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think if you just have dumbells you can accomplish what you need. Throw in situps and planks with some yoga.

You don't need to be equipment heavy
    Yes and no yes and no. The magic of lifting heavy is unique and well accomplished using a Olympic bar. For instance my favorite lift is a series, the Bear Complex :

To your point, I use a kettlebell to tune up my malasana squat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yes and no yes and no. The magic of lifting heavy is unique and well accomplished using a Olympic bar. For instance my favorite lift is a series, the Bear Complex :

You watching reruns of Pumping Iron and Stay Hungry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fav. Love me some Bear Complex. Well, afterwards, of course. Not during. Hate the Bear Complex during.

PS - my Rogue stuff has been awesome and they do make a knee raise, pullup contraption, though it's not much cheaper than the Bodysolid referenced above.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good luck finding a lot of this stuff these days. everyone has the same idea and lots of home gym stuff, rowing machines, spin bikes, etc have been sold out for a long time now. it's not a great time to be needing something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    good luck finding a lot of this stuff these days. everyone has the same idea and lots of home gym stuff, rowing machines, spin bikes, etc have been sold out for a long time now. it's not a great time to be needing something.
    How much for my used truck tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much for my used truck tires?
    good thinking. sometimes i wish i had a little cabin out in siberia to get the training done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really bad idea to drop the bar down behind your head. My shoulders have yet to recover (probably never without surgery) from years of doing this type of overhead/behind head workouts. Confirmed by 3 PT's I worked with the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    Really bad idea to drop the bar down behind your head. My shoulders have yet to recover (probably never without surgery) from years of doing this type of overhead/behind head workouts. Confirmed by 3 PT's I worked with the last few years.
    Thanks for the warning.

FWIIW Rehabbing clients torn Subscapularis is one of my superpowers. Careful behind and in front of the head overhead presses are very good for this particular injury. As with anything involving rank amateurs, we are mindful to listen to experts.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-08-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought a used knee raise thing last summer from a gym that was closing. I had it in the backyard (Arizona) for my son to use while he was home. He used it to rehab his arm and wrist after the bad break in Feb. He mostly did pull-ups on it. Now it's in the garage of the new place. I plan on using straps to hold it up against the wall so I can use my TRX straps. I have 25 and 30# kettlebells, a yoga mat, a Bosu, and a Swiss ball. Now I need to use them.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I bought a used knee raise thing last summer from a gym that was closing. I had it in the backyard (Arizona) for my son to use while he was home. He used it to rehab his arm and wrist after the bad break in Feb. He mostly did pull-ups on it. Now it's in the garage of the new place. I plan on using straps to hold it up against the wall so I can use my TRX straps. I have 25 and 30# kettlebells, a yoga mat, a Bosu, and a Swiss ball. Now I need to use them.
    Go man go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the warning.

FWIIW Rehabbing clients torn Subscapularis is one of my superpowers. Careful behind and in front of the head overhead presses are very good for this particular injury. As with anything involving rank amateurs, we are mindful to listen to experts.
    A behind-the-neck shoulder press exercise, like Military Press for example, can be a fast-track ticket to injury.

https://rollinghillsmedical.com/shou...ery-treatment/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    A behind-the-neck shoulder press exercise, like Military Press for example, can be a fast-track ticket to injury.

https://rollinghillsmedical.com/shou...ery-treatment/
    Got it the first time pal. Things to avoid when you have an acute injury. Yep.