User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should I wait for my IRS Fed Tax refund?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How long should I wait for my IRS Fed Tax refund?

In early December 2020 I filed my 2019 tax return late. I know, I was lazy, but because they owed me money they don't mind. You actually have a few years to do it, if they owe you money.
    Had I known exactly how much I was due I would have sent it in earlier. (when you're that late you have to mail in a paper copy)

It's now been two months. If you go to the IRS web site they say that normally it's a max of 6 weeks. I've been checking the "Where's My Refund" tool on the IRS web site and the reply is always "We don't know what you're talking about."

So I called them (20 minute wait on the phone) and the gal confirmed that my 2019 return has not yet been processed by them. That doesn't mean that they haven't received it - it may just be sitting in a pile somewhere, waiting. But it isn't "in the system." She did say that they're running behind, but how many other fools send in their returns in December? They can't be that busy.

Another data point: I sent in my MO return at the same time (again, paper copy) and got my refund from them about two weeks later.

Anyone have any useful insight or experience with this sort of thing?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How long should I wait for my IRS Fed Tax refund?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    They can't be that busy.
    I'm not sure what gave you that impression, but my useful insight is that you're incorrect about that.

Based on recent IRS correspondence from various clients they seem to be starting to work their way through timely filed 2018 returns (passthrough entities and C corps, both paper and electronic). Things are worse right now that they've been the last few years, which have been worse still than those preceding it.

I'm assuming you paper filed your returns to Kansas City. That office may be in the worst shape of them all. They're sitting on mountains of returns. The COVID situation turned things from bad to worse.

It would not surprise me if your refund was processed next week. Neither would it surprise me if it's still weeks away. Did you buy a lottery ticket the day you only had a 20 minute wait to speak with someone at IRS? Should have.

You could write your congressperson and ask that they work to properly fund the IRS, or at least stop defunding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    I'm not sure what gave you that impression, but my useful insight is that you're incorrect about that.
    Thanks for the reply and the info.

I said that only because things haven't ramped up yet for the 2020 tax year filings, so I assumed that right now would not be a super-busy time. However, I do realize that like everyone else, they're dealing with COVID issues.

I am willing to wait, but it's frustrating that two months after I sent it in I can't even get an acknowledgement that they've received it. At least then I would know that it wasn't lost in the mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply and the info.

I said that only because things haven't ramped up yet for the 2020 tax year filings, so I assumed that right now would not be a super-busy time. However, I do realize that like everyone else, they're dealing with COVID issues.

I am willing to wait, but it's frustrating that two months after I sent it in I can't even get an acknowledgement that they've received it. At least then I would know that it wasn't lost in the mail.
    If you want an assurance that your returns were received, the thing to do would have been at least a signature confirmation, if not via certified mail. All moot now, but something to consider for the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are very, very, very busy.

Through early summer we were getting ominous notices that we, in effect, did not pay our 2019 taxes, despite signed receipt return documentation that we had, indeed, paid our 2019 taxes. We heard that the facility that was processing our returns (somewhere in the Midwest- perhaps KC if I recall correctly?) was months behind, and hundreds of thousands of people were getting similar notices.

Despite some (very) high anxiety regarding this, the IRS eventually caught up with the glut, and everything turned out ok.

I wouldn't expect anything close to normal timelines once more this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many CPAs on a forum I am on in Texas said they have mailed in Tax payments (With proof of Receipt) and they have not cashed those checks Since October.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once in grad school my wife had a small summer fellowship that didn't withhold anything and didn't send any end-of-the-year tax forms.

We found out it was taxable when the IRS sent us a bill.

That was three years later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think I've mailed a paper return in over a decade. I used to do volunteer tax in the VITA program and we'd upload returns to the IRS every evening. I would get a receipt notice for each one. I filed in March last year, and might file before the end of February if I find time. I also have a thesis due on 2/28.

Many years ago, we took in a niece and enrolled her in the local high school, sad situation of poor parenting. I told her mom (sister in law) that in return for her living with us, I would claim her on my taxes as my dependent. The last year she lived with us and graduated high school, her mom claimed her on her taxes and I got a letter from the IRS. The letter said I had to do nothing if my return was correct, so I did nothing. I called her mom and told her I had claimed her daughter and that she needed to amend her return. The niece had lived with us through July so I was in the right. My sister in law refused to change her return so I still did nothing. Two years later she got a $1000 dollar fine and was forced to return the refund.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it sounds like the general consensus is that I need to be patient. (not that I have much choice)

My plan now is to give them another month and check the "Where's my refund?" tool on the IRS.gov web site once a week.

If, after a total of 3 months, they're still not even acknowledging that they've received the return I'll give them another call.

And in the meantime, I'll get ready to file my 2020 taxes. (I'd really prefer having 2019 squared away before doing that, but you never know.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine took a couple months or maybe a bit longer and I filed first week of October.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it sounds like the general consensus is that I need to be patient. (not that I have much choice)

My plan now is to give them another month and check the "Where's my refund?" tool on the IRS.gov web site once a week.

If, after a total of 3 months, they're still not even acknowledging that they've received the return I'll give them another call.

And in the meantime, I'll get ready to file my 2020 taxes. (I'd really prefer having 2019 squared away before doing that, but you never know.)
    If you did not have an overpayment on your 2019 return that you requested be applied to your 2020 tax liability then you can go ahead and file your 2020 return electronically. It's also fine to electronically file form 4868 and wait until your 2019 return has been processed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article in the WaPost mentions delays on 2019 returns, among other things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...t-cp21c-error/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this today. Note the last bulletin regarding filing your 2020 return.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ope...tions-continue

IRS.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info.

I'm still waiting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venting...

Not that anyone here should gad, but it's now been over three months since I mailed in my 2019 Fed tax return to the IRS and they still don't even acknowledge having received it.

I guess I'll try giving them a call again to see what they say.

That will teach me for waiting so long to file that I can't do it electronically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received my 2019 refund check in the mail last week. It took 50 weeks from the time I filed it to receive my $20 refund.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jlyon View Post
    I received my 2019 refund check in the mail last week. It took 50 weeks from the time I filed it to receive my $20 refund.
    Hmmmm - I hope it takes them a bit less time to get me my $3k.

(Ironically enough, after not having checked the "Where's My Refund" thing on the IRS web site I just went there 15 minutes ago to see if they had any news for me ... and of course nothing.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They just finished auditing our 2018 taxes so I know they are busy. I am hoping they are as diligent checking whatshisname's return, given the object of their interest was 16K of depreciation on rental properties. We had physical receipts for everything. They relented.

We have another courtesy of NYC ongoing: the city is attempting to retroactively recover a 6% surcharge on commercial rents over 250K/year, a tax that has been on the books but not enforced for ever. Till Covid.

If you want to better understand the IRS read The Pale King, by D F Wallace.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I filed my federal taxes right around 3/23. My refund popped into my checking account last night.

So there's that.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Not that anyone has any particular interest in this, but I figured I'd close the loop on my original post:

Much to my surprise, an envelope from the IRS showed up in my mailbox on Monday (24 May) with my 2019 tax refund.

So, I mailed my return to them in early Dec 2020, and got the refund in late May 2021.

Now I have a $3k windfall I blow on some cryptocurrency speculation... (jk)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast