In early December 2020 I filed my 2019 tax return late. I know, I was lazy, but because they owed me money they don't mind. You actually have a few years to do it, if they owe you money.
Had I known exactly how much I was due I would have sent it in earlier. (when you're that late you have to mail in a paper copy)

It's now been two months. If you go to the IRS web site they say that normally it's a max of 6 weeks. I've been checking the "Where's My Refund" tool on the IRS web site and the reply is always "We don't know what you're talking about."

So I called them (20 minute wait on the phone) and the gal confirmed that my 2019 return has not yet been processed by them. That doesn't mean that they haven't received it - it may just be sitting in a pile somewhere, waiting. But it isn't "in the system." She did say that they're running behind, but how many other fools send in their returns in December? They can't be that busy.

Another data point: I sent in my MO return at the same time (again, paper copy) and got my refund from them about two weeks later.

Anyone have any useful insight or experience with this sort of thing?

TIA