Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Airbrush vs Small Guns like the Sata MiniJet

I paint my frames outside. Will a hobby airbrush reduce over-spray and the associated toxic cloud, relative to a MiniJet type gun, drastically? I mean like by an order of magnitude, and still do a credible job of primer, paint and clear?

This question relates to putting less crap into the atmosphere and environment, and nothing else.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airbrush vs Small Guns like the Sata MiniJet

Less overspray, yes. Do a credible job, no. In the end you are still going to put on the same amount of material to have the same toughness. Overspray isn’t as big of an issue as the solvents and changing the gun from that Sata to an air brush won’t address this. That’s my opinion and it’s worth exactly what you paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    Less overspray, yes. Do a credible job, no. In the end you are still going to put on the same amount of material to have the same toughness. Overspray isn’t as big of an issue as the solvents and changing the gun from that Sata to an air brush won’t address this. That’s my opinion and it’s worth exactly what you paid.
    Interesting perspective. I thought I remembered that Suzy Jackson ( https://www.suzyj.net/2011/04/ ) used an airbrush so I checked; she does, or at least did, and got what looks to me to be very nice results.

I'm glad you pointed out the solvent's being the larger issue BUT...if I mix a smaller mass of paint, bc less of it misses the pipes, then I'll put a smaller mass of solvents into the atmosphere.

Regardless, I appreciate the info but I think I'll poke around some more. Suzy also built, and using an airbrush probably made it more feasible, a small spray "booth" which looks quite do-able and suitable for an amateur.

Thanks again.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m curious as to how one with an airbrush could put a clear coat on an entire frame quickly enough without any dry spots. I know of no professional painter that does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    I’m curious as to how one with an airbrush could put a clear coat on an entire frame quickly enough without any dry spots. I know of no professional painter that does.
    A professional would be nuts to do that! There are only bad reasons to use one under those circumstances; but they aren't my circumstances. But your point, more generally, is well taken. That said, Suzy Jackson has managed to do so, just barely she said with a .5 mm airbrush orifice; "barely" gets me home. I need to find out how much color and clear she consumes, per frame in order to compare reductions.

Her little paint spray cabinet looks, or sounds, like it's up to the task of capturing whatever those filters capture, something I need to check on; I thought I saw some with carbon absorption capabilities but I may be confusing that with something else.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If emissions are your concern, sell your car and stop shopping at the grocery store.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic