Thread: Washing Machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Jorn, why would those washers require a higher-voltage service? Is there a steam generator or something else inside that requires more oomph than 1500 watts?
    I'm curious too. Everywhere I've lived in the US has had a 110 outlet for the washer, and 220 and/or gas fitting for the dryer. I used a Bosch all-in-one unit when I lived in Italy, but it's all 220. The Bosch sucked for drying, I used a gas dryer (butane bomba). The biggest hassle I experience now is my new house has the washer/dryer hookups opposite from anywhere I've lived. The doors open towards each other.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm curious too. Everywhere I've lived in the US has had a 110 outlet for the washer, and 220 and/or gas fitting for the dryer.....
    Gosh, Some places require quarters for washer and dryer.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Curious whether anyone has actually procured a washing machine - or any other major appliance - since the shit hit the fan?
    Hand up.

Ordered Nov. 30 2020. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't complain as I took the opportunity to reno the laundry room. Go figure......reno a laundry room!

Recommendation.

LG is killing it.....at least according to consumer reports. Took the top 5 spots.

Took a hard look at Speedqueens. Some issues 1-2 years ago...did not clean very well. Improved now but still not great. Reported reliability is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Curious whether anyone has actually procured a washing machine - or any other major appliance - since the shit hit the fan?
    Edit: I see Tom did about six months ago - anyone else? Stories/anecdotes? I hear it's really tough and very delayed.

Are you asking because of COVID? I bought a fridge and they arrived with masks, gloves and booties, and spent as little time as possible in the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm curious too. Everywhere I've lived in the US has had a 110 outlet for the washer, and 220 and/or gas fitting for the dryer. I used a Bosch all-in-one unit when I lived in Italy, but it's all 220. The Bosch sucked for drying, I used a gas dryer (butane bomba). The biggest hassle I experience now is my new house has the washer/dryer hookups opposite from anywhere I've lived. The doors open towards each other.
    Can you reconfigure the door, to put the hinge on the other side? Ours opened towards eachother as delivered, but we were able to switch the dryer door so it opens away from the washer. The washer door isn't ambidextrous though, so they now both have the hinge on the left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I need a new washing machine. Mine leaks.

Front Loading. Electric. Standard home size- We don't have kids, but we do do a load of wash every 1-2 days.

I want the "Ultegra Level" type washing machine. So a nice one, but no need for "Dura-Ace".

What do I want?
    Two Words: Speed Queen.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    Are you asking because of COVID? I bought a fridge and they arrived with masks, gloves and booties, and spent as little time as possible in the house.
    Yes, COVID, but not so much the delivery and installation - it's the supply chain problems that have resulted in major appliances being pretty much unavailable recently, maybe particularly in the Northeast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another vote for Speed Queen. Don't know what model, but it's a toploader that cost about $1200 and worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Another vote for Speed Queen. Don't know what model, but it's a toploader that cost about $1200 and worth every penny.
    TC5, that's what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a new washing machine. Mine leaks.

Front Loading. Electric. Standard home size- We don't have kids, but we do do a load of wash every 1-2 days.

I want the "Ultegra Level" type washing machine. So a nice one, but no need for "Dura-Ace".

What do I want?
    There's a Friedman's appliance near you in Pleasant Hill. Go there. Good guys, knowledgeable and no pressure, we were sent to them by close friends in the area and we're very glad for the tip as we've purchased a washer, dryer, refrigerator, and dishwasher from them in the past 12 months. Like you, there's just two of us in the house, and we have a front-loading Ultegra-level GE (actually more like a 105 Model# GW550SSN0WW) that we're very happy with- and now that I think about it, it's kind of the equivalent to a Gravel Grinder given the current state of my laundry as I'm in the middle of DIY remodeling that includes weeks of plaster removal and crawlspace work under the house. It's very California-friendly (water and energy efficiency being a major thing in East Bay). I no longer trust any single source for this kind of advice- consumer reports, online reviews, even tips from friends- there's not enough and too much information at the same time so I tend to triangulate from multiple sources. The advice we've gotten consistently from Friedmans has been reliable and backed up through (my wife's crazy-level) research over months, (with spreadsheets, visits to the usual big box stores and notes from manufacturers CS calls, she has much more patience than I do). Ask for Adam, he's worked hard to find us deals and given us head's up on sales (advice like don't buy now, wait a couple months). He's been in the biz for years and no salesfloor BS, he talked us down from higher end models in a couple of cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Get a top loading washer. Leaving the door open on a front loader can take up valuable space and result in something you bump into. With a top loader, who cares if you leave it open (which you should)? While I'm sure they've improved, I've heard too many stories of leaking front loaders. No thanks.

Dryer? I'm cheap; I grew up with a clothesline, and once on my own, used a wooden drying rack. My condo came with a dryer. I've been here 5 years and have never used it.
    Top loading washers use more water- not an issue on the East Coast but a major consideration in Cali. Front loaders have gotten much better in recent years, they used to have leaking and mold issues around the door but new materials now make this a non-issue. Front loaders are also much easier on "nice" clothing than top loaders, they clean better with less agitation, more of an issue with my Wife's office attire than mine. But generally more expensive. Clothes lines are the best though I've learned the hard way that California sun can also be brutal to some fabrics causing fading if I leave them out too long- part of my West Coast transformation/lessons learned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drying racks are your friend. Have a dryer too but seriously, try a drying rack. Your clothes will last orders of magnitude longer if they’re air dried.

Also, to reiterate what others have said, all washers should be left open as often as possible. Trapping moisture inside isn’t good. Kind of like with bikes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up getting a top loader- Not a front load washer.
    My wife and I go scared off on the issues with front loading machines.
    Leaving the door of the washer open is not really an option for us- our cats would be inside the machine straight away ;)

We bought a Maytag MVWC565FW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up getting a top loader- Not a front load washer.
    My wife and I go scared off on the issues with front loading machines.
    Leaving the door of the washer open is not really an option for us- our cats would be inside the machine straight away ;)

We bought a Maytag MVWC565FW.
    Rinse cycle for cats. It’s in the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many moons ago (read 18 years) I had a Bosch washer and dryer. Loved the machines - build quality on them were outstanding - but didn't love the control board in the washer. It began failing about 4 years into ownership.
    Regarding the 240v - yes, the washer had a heating element. It was used during the sterilizing cycle. It also had a cool outlet on the back, whereas you plugged the washer into the 240v wall outlet and the dryer plugged into the washer.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Drying racks are your friend. Have a dryer too but seriously, try a drying rack. Your clothes will last orders of magnitude longer if they’re air dried.

Also, to reiterate what others have said, all washers should be left open as often as possible. Trapping moisture inside isn’t good. Kind of like with bikes.
    Good idea especially in the winter time with dry indoor air. Dries fast and adds a wee bit of moisture into the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Many moons ago (read 18 years) I had a Bosch washer and dryer. Loved the machines - build quality on them were outstanding - but didn't love the control board in the washer. It began failing about 4 years into ownership.
    Regarding the 240v - yes, the washer had a heating element. It was used during the sterilizing cycle. It also had a cool outlet on the back, whereas you plugged the washer into the 240v wall outlet and the dryer plugged into the washer.
    Thanks. That's what I thought.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12