Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Washing Machine

I need a new washing machine. Mine leaks.

Front Loading. Electric. Standard home size- We don't have kids, but we do do a load of wash every 1-2 days.

I want the "Ultegra Level" type washing machine. So a nice one, but no need for "Dura-Ace".

What do I want?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Washing Machine

Bosch, Miele, Asko. They all have a $1500 full-sized washing machine that is excellent. We have a Bosch in the city and an Asko upstate. I prefer the Asko, but it is larger than the Bosch we got in the city. And as a result, it doesn't tie button shirts in knots. Friends have a Miele and it is remarkably quiet. The Asko has a floating drum so the outside stays still while the drum goes nuts on the spin cycle.

If you are switching brands, you may need to have an electrician come in and set up a new outlet. Some washers give you a choice of outlet designs. And while you are there, I'd suggest getting an automatic water shut-off so if a hose goes bad or flips out of the drain (if you have that arrangement, most do) the sensor shuts off the water at the tap which in turn stops the washing machine.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went through this a few years back. Definitely get a front loader.

I ended up with a Speed Queen and am quite happy. This brand is used in commercial laundromats and what I got is supposed to be a home version. So far, so good. They’re not available at many big box stores but are readily available at specialty appliance stores.

Mine stays open when not in use to let it dry out. The soap tray needs to be towel dried due to how it drains.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 01-22-2021 at 11:36 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Almost all washers are 110V with a standard three-prong plug. Dryers can vary with the style of plug for 220V, by you can pick up the right cord at Home Depot or through Amazon and replace the cord to match your wall outlet. I have had a Kenmore (probably LG, because the matching dryer is LG) front loader since 2007. Like Saab, I leave the door open when I'm not using it so it can dry and not leave the seal compressed. The seals are replaceable, is your washer leaking around the door or internally from the drum? I haven't had to work on my washer, but last year I rebuilt my dryer with new rollers and drive belt. Youtube is good for diagnosing problems and solutions if you're handy. I'm a Red Green fan, I'm handy.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second to the Speed Queen recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1 what Saab and Bill said about leaving the door open on a front loader. The seal can get funky if you don’t. Also stop using fabric softener if you do. It’s made with animal fat, the residue goes rancid and stinks like hell.

+1 what Bill said about fixing clothes dryers. They’re one of the most simple appliances there is. The last one I fixed didn’t have rollers but two skid plates the drum rested on. Replacing those, the drive belt, and a felt seal was cheap and easy. That’s why a dryer is a good score on Craigslist. They last a long time but many people replace them when getting a new washer to stay matchy matchy.

We had a FRidgidaire front loader that died early. The rear seal went, and the leak was minor but the control board was on the back of the machine below the seal. Fzzzzzt.

Replaced it with a Maytag because that’s what they use in college dorms. Has performed admirably. Replaced the front seal because one of my kids tore it while removing a load that included a dog bed, towels, and probably three loads worth of other clothes. So the Maytag has survived some abuse.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewman View Post
    Second to the Speed Queen recommendation.
    Have a new Speed Queen top loader, with 80s style digital dash, just like a laundromat.
    Like having Di2 on your Sachs.
    It replaced a hi-e top loading Whirlpool that lasted the standard 10 years.
    Got the Speed Queen dryer when 25 year old dryer finally died.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a top loading LG high efficiency about six months ago, does about 10 loads a week and so far no complaints. Went with the Consumer Reports ratings, replaced a Sears brand that burned out its second clutch after 16 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Almost all washers are 110V with a standard three-prong plug. Dryers can vary with the style of plug for 220V, by you can pick up the right cord at Home Depot or through Amazon and replace the cord to match your wall outlet. I have had a Kenmore (probably LG, because the matching dryer is LG) front loader since 2007. Like Saab, I leave the door open when I'm not using it so it can dry and not leave the seal compressed. The seals are replaceable, is your washer leaking around the door or internally from the drum? I haven't had to work on my washer, but last year I rebuilt my dryer with new rollers and drive belt. Youtube is good for diagnosing problems and solutions if you're handy. I'm a Red Green fan, I'm handy.
    Both the Bosch and the Asko we have are 220/240V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LG washer & dryer, front loaders. If space allows can be stacked. Clean out the dryer and vent at least once a year. A real fire hazard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought an LG WM3500 a couple years ago, 4.5 cubic feet. The gas version, but I'm sure there's a electric one too. It's been great.

Plus you should get a t shirt.

sywm.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious whether anyone has actually procured a washing machine - or any other major appliance - since the shit hit the fan?
    Edit: I see Tom did about six months ago - anyone else? Stories/anecdotes? I hear it's really tough and very delayed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gf got a Speed Queen front loader, the thing is solid. 25year warranty on the electronics. I haven't had to play appliance repairman in 5 years. If my 80s era Kenmore ever breaks and costs more than $50 to fix, I'm buying a Speed Queen.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got a samsung front loader from best buy that was on sale as a floor model. it has a weird little front filter that started to leak after about 4 years. I was initially obsessed with making it stop, but couldn't and it is a very small leak--after several loads a week it may leak 1/2 cup total, and I used my son's swim fin to divert it to a small receptacle, and it just evaporates before I even need to dump it. It has a bunch of cycles, including one for allergens that does make a difference for my allergies. No complaints, and quite probably if ordered a new filter it wouldn't have the tiny leak. You do have to periodically clean the inner baffle for the seal as it can get moldy--my kids often close it on the way tot he freezer (our W/D is in the garage--very common for SoCal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I ever start a band, "Speed Queen" is making the band name short list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I went through this a few years back. Definitely get a front loader.

I ended up with a Speed Queen and am quite happy. This brand is used in commercial laundromats and what I got is supposed to be a home version. So far, so good. They’re not available at many big box stores but are readily available at specialty appliance stores.

Mine stays open when not in use to let it dry out. The soap tray needs to be towel dried due to how it drains.
    I have a stackable but the washer is top load. It's been great for over 18 years. I don't look forward to replacing it. It's a Maytag, Kitchenaide bought them out and retired the unit. Its way better than the Kitchenaid version they replaced it with.
    It's an apartment so standard size was never an option. Got one of the few 27 inch units around
    -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a top loading washer. Leaving the door open on a front loader can take up valuable space and result in something you bump into. With a top loader, who cares if you leave it open (which you should)? While I'm sure they've improved, I've heard too many stories of leaking front loaders. No thanks.

Dryer? I'm cheap; I grew up with a clothesline, and once on my own, used a wooden drying rack. My condo came with a dryer. I've been here 5 years and have never used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Both the Bosch and the Asko we have are 220/240V.
    Jorn, why would those washers require a higher-voltage service? Is there a steam generator or something else inside that requires more oomph than 1500 watts?
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    Get a top loading washer. Leaving the door open on a front loader can take up valuable space and result in something you bump into. With a top loader, who cares if you leave it open (which you should)? While I'm sure they've improved, I've heard too many stories of leaking front loaders. No thanks.

Dryer? I'm cheap; I grew up with a clothesline, and once on my own, used a wooden drying rack. My condo came with a dryer. I've been here 5 years and have never used it.
    My wash room has the space and I’m gone a lot. So I get your thoughts. I don’t love leaving it open but it’s the reality for now.

As to dryers, I agree. Mine is largely unused, except for sheets. Everything else air dries on a pair of IKEA drying racks. In addition to being better on energy consumption, garments don’t end up in the lint filter as microscopic fibers. Clothes last longer, by years or decades, than they probably should.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Jorn, why would those washers require a higher-voltage service? Is there a steam generator or something else inside that requires more oomph than 1500 watts?
    I don't know. The Bosch is an 800 series and the Asko is the W4114CW. Both are listed as 240v. They are both stackable, though we have the Asko's side-by-side. Not sure about the Asko, but I remember vaguely that the Bosch washer plugs into the dryer and the dryer plugs into the wall (or vice versa - haven't climbed behind them recently.) There is only one 220v outlet in the wall. I know that because the electrician somehow managed to destroy it while he was installing it.

edit: Maybe the sterilizing cycle? There is a cycle for sterilizing the drum.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-24-2021 at 11:12 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast