Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning Guitar recommends

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Learning Guitar recommends

Mrs. Too wants to learn guitar. Recommends for a guitar that will sound good and for online learning.

#norabbithole #thankyou

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Learning Guitar recommends

Acoustic or electric? Rock, metal or punk? Jazz? Too many options to recommend without more data points.

The Fender Play is pretty good, as far as online lessons go. There is a ton of stuff on the Youtubes but so much of it is junk. The players can play, but teaching, especially online, is another beast entirely.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it's an electric guitar it's tough to go wrong with a well set up Telecaster. Used Mexican made Fender guitars are the equivalent of 105. The newer Squier stuff has been well received as well. the big thing is that you want to avoid guitars with tremolo (whammy bar) setups.

for an acoustic I would probably look at a Yamaha for a complete beginner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know we're in the midst of a pandemic, but there must be a proper brick and mortar in our nation's capital that can help the missus better than any of us armchair experts. I'd find a shop or two that is respected and recommended by some locals you respect then maybe call ahead.

Much like a bicycle, there is something to be said for the end user choosing one of many, in-person, after a knowledgeable person offers some guidance then lets them put their hands on them (regardless of whether or not they know how to play yet).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There absolutely is Colonel. We have a long standing musical instruments store nearby. Just looking for recommends from the wellspring of knowledge that is Vsalon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    the big thing is that you want to avoid guitars with tremolo (whammy bar) setups.
    Vibrato. And the exception is definitely Bigsby. I've seriously abused hollow and semi-hollow Bigsby (B5, B7, even B3) equipped guitars without issue. But, point taken and agree to avoid the cheap Fender-style or complicated Floyd stuff.

I've also heard great reviews of the newer Squier stuff, but have no personal experience.

The missus would be super cool with a 335 or similar, though, would she not?

While they might not really be my style, a basic S/S/S Strat or copy serves a lot of people well as a first electric guitar. 20 years ago Fender had an low end acoustic line that was a really good value. I still have one I bought in 1999 for like $400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Vibrato. And the exception is definitely Bigsby. I've seriously abused hollow and semi-hollow Bigsby (B5, B7, even B3) equipped guitars without issue. But, point taken and agree to avoid the cheap Fender-style or complicated Floyd stuff.

I've also heard great reviews of the newer Squier stuff, but have no personal experience.

The missus would be super cool with a 335 or similar, though, would she not?

While they might not really be my style, a basic S/S/S Strat or copy serves a lot of people well as a first electric guitar. 20 years ago Fender had an low end acoustic line that was a really good value. I still have one I bought in 1999 for like $400.
    even a bigsby is still going to make string changes more difficult.

I'd avoid many 335 style guitars (and Les Pauls for that matter) just because of the tuning stability issues inherent in that string path. that's my main reason for recommending a hardtail as well. It's a lot easier to learn when your guitar stays in tune.

but yeah, there's nothing better than actually going to a store and laying hands and eyes on a couple things to see what you do and don't like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Acoustic or electric? Rock, metal or punk? Jazz? Too many options to recommend without more data points.

The Fender Play is pretty good, as far as online lessons go. There is a ton of stuff on the Youtubes but so much of it is junk. The players can play, but teaching, especially online, is another beast entirely.
    Replying to myself. How gauche.

Had a few ideas.

For acoustic ... the Godin family, particularly Seagull and Norman, are great and affordable. Easy to play with good tone and volume.

For electric ... it’s hard to beat a Strat or Tele. Get it setup by a decent luthier and you will be set. Although this necessitates an amp discussion, which is perhaps more complicated.

I’m really digging the new Fender acoustic-letrics: Acoustisonic series. A little spendy but really cool.

I’m agnostic about tremolos. It only takes a minute or two to tune so that’s not a dealbreaker. I have a Bigsby but don’t use it much. If she’s shredding 80s hair metal, it’s a necessity. Otherwise, meh take it or leave it.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any adult center classes? I seem to remember Montgomery County had such for guitar and uke years ago when we were stationed in Bethesda, this was nearly 15 yrs ago though.
    I'm self taught, wish I had lessons, as I have some and habits and chord fingering etc, but I really enjoy playing--very therapeutic for me.

When I used to see live music in DC area bars, many had Takamine Acoustic or acoustic electric, I even asked a 2 diff guys why and got the same answer--not that expensive, and i something happened the next one sounds the same.

For a beginner light strings and low action may help. I'd pick a budget, and go try a few in that range--one will feel undoubtedly better and sound better. And it might not be the standard acoustic dreadnaught.

And of course in the spirit of custom bikes, nothing wrong with a handmade work of art--nice client list:
    https://delgadoguitars.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my wife a Blueridge. 000 pattern and has a lower action (for flatpicking) and a thin neck that works well with her smaller hands. It is also beautifully finished and puts a smile on her face, and her very experienced friends when they pick it up to play. Price is what it is because they are (were? Haven’t kept up) made in China. But a good choice for a beginner I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I'd avoid many 335 style guitars (and Les Pauls for that matter) just because of the tuning stability issues inherent in that string path. that's my main reason for recommending a hardtail as well. It's a lot easier to learn when your guitar stays in tune.
    I definitely don't disagree that it's a lot easier to learn when your guitar stays in tune, but I'm curious what it is about a 335- or Les Paul-style setup that contributes to tuning instability? I've been playing guitar since 1972, have owned two or three Les Pauls, played dozens more, owned an ES-345, played several other 335/355s, owned a couple of Ibanez Les Paul clones, and still currently own a Roland GR-303 which is essentially a Les Paul made in Japan with anachronistic electronics...all of them had the same 24.75" scale length, same stud bridge w/ separate tailpiece, same maple neck construction... otoh I don't think any two of them had the same make/model tuning machines. But in any case, I never found those guitars any more prone to tuning instability than the numerous Fender-type guitars with the 25.5" scale length and one-piece bridge/tailpiece I've owned or used.

Whammy bars, yeah, there's a culprit fo' shizzle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lower end models from Martin or Taylor are nice. Yamaha is a good to for a starter guitar. Blue Ridge and Eastman both make nicer guitars than credit for. A good setup is key. I agree that a good local store(keep it local!) is the way to go. As far as electrics go, have her pick out what she thinks looks nice, and sounds nice. Again a good setup is the key. It will play properly and will be easier to play. It will BE more inspiring to play. (everyday). Also at the local stores more teachers are doing lessons via zoom or FaceTime. The ability to ask your teacher questions cannot be understated. I hope she enjoys learning to play!

p.s. Lighter string gauges for beginners can be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes to light strings...especially for acoustic . . . and not just for beginners. Billy Gibbons plays super light strings.

Gretsch has some good selection under $500 if that's her taste. For a lil more, Yamaha Revstars 502 series are fun.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/\ /\ /\ /\ ------ what Jay said. Set up is KEY! String guage, body style/size/shape, neck shape all are important too. As is the color of the guitar! For acoustics, I second Yamaha as a great guitar - for starters and experienced players. And a good case is important too, for protection as well as humidity control if it comes to that.

I tried teaching myself with books and a couple of online sites (like JustinGuitar), but got lazy and progressed very little, that is until I had someone actually assign me lessons to learn and required practice! I need a teacher that holds me accountable for practicing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She wants acoustic. These are great leads, I'll drop by the store and see what lines up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I definitely don't disagree that it's a lot easier to learn when your guitar stays in tune, but I'm curious what it is about a 335- or Les Paul-style setup that contributes to tuning instability? I've been playing guitar since 1972, have owned two or three Les Pauls, played dozens more, owned an ES-345, played several other 335/355s, owned a couple of Ibanez Les Paul clones, and still currently own a Roland GR-303 which is essentially a Les Paul made in Japan with anachronistic electronics...all of them had the same 24.75" scale length, same stud bridge w/ separate tailpiece, same maple neck construction... otoh I don't think any two of them had the same make/model tuning machines. But in any case, I never found those guitars any more prone to tuning instability than the numerous Fender-type guitars with the 25.5" scale length and one-piece bridge/tailpiece I've owned or used.

Whammy bars, yeah, there's a culprit fo' shizzle.
    it's the sharp breaking angle the string goes through after it passes through the nut. if the slot isn't cut perfectly and even then it won't hold tune particularly well. there's a reason Gibson went so far as to install robotic tuners on their guitars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha. Zac hates everything, just not equally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gibsons are made in Bozeman, Josh. I think their sunburst and pickguards have a country femininity about them.

My dream guitar is a Martin J-40

If she just wants to learn chords and dip her toes in a concert ukulele is a good cheap option

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taylor just announced the company will be employee owned. That is pretty coo. They are local to me and I always planned to tour the factory but never got abound to it.

When I bought my guitar in 2000, it was at a huge shop (Buffalo Brothers, now out of business) with incredible selection. I wanted a narrow width fretboard dreadnaught, and my favorite I tried was a Taylor signature model for Jewel. I didn't/don't like her enough to have a guitar with her name on it. I "had" to go to a higher price point to find a guitar I liked as much.

Unless this is a surprise, your wife should try them to see how they fit her hand, feel the action, and the tone from just strumming. Even better if she can learn the finger placement for a few chords like E and G and D to ear them on various guitars and feel the force to form them on each that she tries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second the recommendation for a Seagull S6. Quality acoustic with solid spruce or mahogany top that will continue to sound good as she improves as a player. Made in Canada and very reasonably priced. Comes in dreadnaught and smaller concert and auditorium sizes.
    killing idols one at a time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast