We recently traded in our manual crosstrek for am outback, and I want something a little more light and fun to cruise around the dirt roads in VT. I also want to learn a lot more about working on cars, so something more approachable will be fun for that i'm thinking. I don't want anything precious. I would like RWD I think, a GTI or something could be neat too, but i've never owned a RWD car. Here's my current short list of search terms, anything I should add / remove or be aware of? I'm hoping to spend less than 2,000 on the car, and dont really care about the exterior / interior condition.

1. Volvo 240 - Ideally I would be looking for a 2dr, manual turbo, but these seem rare, fine with 4dr or wagon though. They seem the most abundant of the options i'm thinking, can be had cheap, and I have friends with tons of experience. They seem reasonably tough and light. I wouldn't feel bad about screwing one of these up. I also am a fan of the look. Found plenty in the price range, but not enough manual transmissions yet.

2. Datsun 510 - Long shot I know, but this would be the dream. Maybe too precious. There seems to be quite a few 240's sitting around in barns around here for some reason, might be cool with that too.

3. BMW - e30, or I'm sure there are plenty of other models. Seem popular / expensive, and im while the look is cool, it might be "too cool" for me.

4. Porcshe 944 - surprisingly cheap ones out there, might be fun, not my favorite thing to look at but fun in its strange way.