Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hyundai Elantra GT N

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hyundai Elantra GT N

My mech just took a look at my Volvo S40 and said, "I'd love to make $4000 off of you but that wouldn't be right. You need a new car."

Previous car was a 2006 Matrix (manual) which I absolutely loved even though it was underpowered.

Elantra GT N looks pretty similar in terms of cargo capacity and size but with more power.
    But it's hard to find in my area. I figured a bit of insight from folks here would help determine if I drive the 100-150 miles to go test one out.

Thanks
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hyundai Elantra GT N

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    My mech just took a look at my Volvo S40 and said, "I'd love to make $4000 off of you but that wouldn't be right. You need a new car."

Previous car was a 2006 Matrix (manual) which I absolutely loved even though it was underpowered.

Elantra GT N looks pretty similar in terms of cargo capacity and size but with more power.
    But it's hard to find in my area. I figured a bit of insight from folks here would help determine if I drive the 100-150 miles to go test one out.

Thanks
    I haven't driven one but Hyundai products have come a long way. Test drives are kind of over-rated in my opinion. What you might want to do is go to your local preferred dealer and scope out the base model just to see if you can live with the interior and ergonomics. The trim you're interested in shares and engine and transmission plus probably most of the suspension bits with the Veloster GT so you could likely find one of those to test drive to get a feel for how the N-line would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say on modern sports sedan/hatchback there is virtually no reason anymore to test drive them. They have pretty much all faster than a 80's Ferrari or Porsche but are so sensorially muted that they are boring as fuck under legal speed limits. Even the fastest BMW M cars / Mercedes AMG are boring on the road once you got past the first few miles where you are hammering the throttle like a dickhead at every traffic light. Treat it as an appliance, if the internal dimensions, price and overall material quality is good for you and is rated high in the reliability indexes it is a good buy.

If you want to have fun behind a wheel, equip it with an hitch, buy a trailer and a go-kart / formula Ford/Vee / kartcross / SxS / buggy.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-06-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't there a Mazda 6 wagon coming out?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an 2018 KIA Forte wagon with the 1.6L Turbo. First cousins, nice ride plenty of room for my Goodrich with the front wheel removed. I also sell KIA and Hyundai products although I'm a bit farther than the 150 mile range ;>). Mine has the 7 speed Auto but the 6speed is a nice option. Let me know if I can help or you have questions.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave the Elantra GT N-Line (that name is a mouth full) a good look in '19 when I bought a new car. I decided against it, and here's why:

* Gas mileage. That Hyundai engine is fun -- all the torque is down low, so it's a fun daily driver if you have the back/low traffic roads to hoon on. But, the cost for the 20hp over a Civic hatch is that you get GTI mileage, without GTI performance.

* Chassis. It is stiffer than an Elantra GT. It's still squishy. I was an asshole on my test drives, pushing the thing into a few corners -- it would grip, no doubt, but it was plowy. The Michelin tires were doing the work of compensating for the so-so chassis. Boo.

* Differential. There's no torque vectoring like in the Veloster Turbo R Spec (which is a great deal and a hoot). So, if you want to play with that power, be ready for torque steer. Combined with the chassis, it's fun, sure, but it's sketchy.

On the plus side, no rev hang. The Honda rev hang is a PITA.

It's not an I-30N. That is the one you want, but the U.S. can't get.

I ended up going with a Civic Sport 6MT. It's underpowered -- you'll get smoked by some compact crossovers and V-8 sedans at stop lights, if that's what you're into (or just trying to pass), but the chassis is superb for that price. It grips like the Elantra GT, but the grip is coming from bushings, shocks, springs and body bracing, not from a killer set of tires. So it feels stable, responsive, and planted for a cheesy hatchback that doesn't have GTI or ST after the name (actually, in overall driving fun on the street, I thought it was about a wash with the Fiesta ST, but with more space and less NVH). Plus, the smaller engine is good for a 30mpg all-around, even with redline shifting and heel-toeing it all over the place like a jerkwad.

At the Elantra price point, you're looking at the Civic SI sedan, a couple grad down for the Sport Hatch 6MT, the Elantra sedan N-line, and that's about it. You'd go up several grand for the Jetta GLI or the Golf GTI. Warm hatches and hot hatches are disappearing from the marketplace because Americans love automatics (yeah, better in big-city jams) and crossovers (the spawn of Satan). Hyundai is doing cool things with the N series. Those are budget monsters. The N-lines are ok -- they shove big-ish horsepower into squishy platforms and slap some good tires on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey All,

Thanks so much for the responses. I test drove the Elantra GT base model last night and was pleasantly surprised by it. More surprised that it was more comfy and has more cargo space than the Kona or a few other cars that I'm looking at.

I've been Ignoring the Civic because it kind've looks like a transformer to me but I'll go check it out on your recommendation, Doof.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another satisfied Civic Sport owner here. Fits a bike with both wheels on, no prob. Seasucker if you need to move more than one bike (center exhaust may interfere with hitch rack). I've seen 40+mpg if I'm trying to be easy on the gas on the highway.

Only regret - I should have gone with the 6MT. Looks are... well, it could be the Type R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been looking for a 6-speed N-line hatch, it’s near impossible to find. Upon reading this thread, it doesn’t seem like a worthwhile difference over the regular GT Sport. As long as a bike can fit inside with a wheel removed, I’d take it. Honda Fit seemed appealing too, but only for its utility purposes. Hyundai Elantra looks like it’s way more refined of a drive. Good luck with your search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you hold off until August or September, you may be able to try the Elantra N -- it's basically the Veloster N chassis with a sensible 4-door sedan on top. 235HP and a limited slip diff, 6-speed manual. Hoo-whee!

For the Hondas, the 11th generation, '22 Civic hatch has more toned-down looks, and might be available in the SI version, now that the coupe is dead. Or, Honda may decide to keep with the hatch as only Sport or the full-on Type R.

Looked at Cooper S? By reputation, maybe a lot of time in the shop, but a fun drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last summer we had a Ford Escape Titanium as a rental car in Montana. We drove about 2000 miles in 7 days seeing the sights from Mt Rushmore to Yellowstone. We drove many dirt roads getting to fly fishing spots, and it just cruised over Beartooth Pass (11K feet). I was so impressed that I traded in my 2018 Ford Expedition for a 2020 Escape. It is the Titanium trim with AWD and EcoBoost 2.0 Liter engine. We made a road trip over the holidays and averaged 32 mpg doing 80 on the interstates.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following up on this:

The purchase came down to an Elantra GT N Line or a 2019+ Mazda3. I chose a 2019 Mazda3 Premium. A few factors:

1. N Lines are super hard to find in SoCal. A MT was not available within 500 miles.
    2. While the Mazda is less powerful, I really liked the layout inside along with the fact that it feels like a way more expensive car.
    3. Mazda is quieter.
    4. The redesign of the Mazda is sexy IMHO.
    5. Better sound system (not amazing but good enough for me).
    6. The Mazda handles better.

The downside of the Mazda:
    1. Cargo capacity. It's not as tall as the Elantra so bikes will go in with both wheels off.
    2. The interior is so nice I'm legitimately scared to damage it. I will be renting a truck (or buying a <$1000 pickup) to do any sort've hauling. Slight bummer because I'd put 10 footers and bags of concrete in the Matrix all day long.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good choice imho. The Mazda 3's are very nice for the $$. I have two-- a 2006 and a 2018. I should sell the 2006 but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The 6MT on the newer 3's has a really nice feel to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

false_aesthetic, my wife has the big one (CX-9) and I agree on the drive quality and interior quality. If/when I need a small car, Mazda will be on the list.

I was also nervous about the interior, but with old blankets and towels for protection, it's holding up well after 2+ years. We just flatten the back seats when necessary and slide stuff in there.

There is no antidote for dog hair, however.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast