Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: considering a turntable

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default considering a turntable

my wife has a collection of old records her sister recently sent to her. I got her a VERY cheap record player system, (Teac LP-P1000 ) but she does enjoy playing the records so I think something better is in order.

I've reviewed a few older threads on the subject.

A Technics SL 1300 is on my local craigslist, with a stanton EEE cartridge. Is that a decent gamble for CL? IT isn't hooked up to anything and I will still have to get a phone amp and probably better speakers, but though I'd start trying to find a good deal on a TT if possible.

Other wise I'll save up for a a Rega or Music Hall level TT for her b-day in a few months

thanks
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: considering a turn table

As long as the turntable works, the SL-1300 is an excellent piece.

I am inclined to think that since it's for your wife, you shouldn't go through the potential headaches of a used turntable. For yourself I'd say go for it.

Surprise her with a new turntable if you can afford it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seconding that the direct drive technics are awesome if they work. The speeds can be wonky and the control boards are kind of flimsy.

In other news... There's an older P3 with a very low hours M97xE cart gathering dust in my office. PM me and I'd be happy to part with it for peanuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - that's great. VSalon to the rescue!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Seconding that the direct drive technics are awesome if they work. The speeds can be wonky and the control boards are kind of flimsy.

In other news... There's an older P3 with a very low hours M97xE cart gathering dust in my office. PM me and I'd be happy to part with it for peanuts.
    PM sent,
    also thanks to those who replied and to the excellent older threads on the subject. I guess it seems a real gamble with the CL technics, since it isn't hooked up to anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A direct drive technics isn't really a gamble. The motors are bulletproof and the rest can be repaired. Most of the problems those have are just oxidized potentiometers (knobs, switches) and can usually be fixed by regular applications of caig deoxit or similar deoxidizing electronics cleaners. I'm pretty sure most of them will still work fine when they are 100 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure your wife need a direct drive turntable nor a 45y old one that may need a complete restauration to sounds good. Not sure which model you currently have but it might not even sound better than the current Teac with a good cartdirdge. Teac tend to do decent stuff. I would first look with her if she wants an automatic, semi-automatic or fully manual experience, if you need an integrated preamp or not, etc.

Thorens does great stuff too, I am not sure the price of the highest end ones is entirely justified though but the range is large enough to find something good in almost any budget but there are great offering from Denon, Teac, Yamaha, Cambridge audio, Ellipson.

Without knowing what you currently have exactly, what kind of budget and the requirements in term of operation and connectivity, it is hard to give a good advice. Looks to me you don't have any issue with the current setup but simply wants to upgrade for the sake of upgrading without being sure the actual stuff you would buy would really be an upgrade in term of sound and experience.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-05-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the process of enhancing our AV room so have been looking at various components including turntables.

We have an old Technics direct drive with a new(er) Grado cartridge that I will be hooking up soon. Have not used it since we moved from MD 4+ years ago. I've been looking at potential upgrades-performance and modern look to match what we have. Rega Planar 1 and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon get good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    my wife has a collection of old records her sister recently sent to her. I got her a VERY cheap record player system, (Teac LP-P1000 ) but she does enjoy playing the records so I think something better is in order.

I've reviewed a few older threads on the subject.

A Technics SL 1300 is on my local craigslist, with a stanton EEE cartridge. Is that a decent gamble for CL? IT isn't hooked up to anything and I will still have to get a phone amp and probably better speakers, but though I'd start trying to find a good deal on a TT if possible.

Other wise I'll save up for a a Rega or Music Hall level TT for her b-day in a few months

thanks
    jim
    Jim,

Your receiver/amplifier has a phono stage, I hope? The output from a tt needs to be equalized before it's amplified.

So if your equipment doesn't have that, you will need a tt that includes it.

Also, what's your price range?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Not sure your wife need a direct drive turntable nor a 45y old one that may need a complete restauration to sounds good. Not sure which model you currently have but it might not even sound better than the current Teac with a good cartdirdge. Teac tend to do decent stuff. I would first look with her if she wants an automatic, semi-automatic or fully manual experience, if you need an integrated preamp or not, etc.

Thorens does great stuff too, I am not sure the price of the highest end ones is entirely justified though but the range is large enough to find something good in almost any budget but there are great offering from Denon, Teac, Yamaha, Cambridge audio, Ellipson.

Without knowing what you currently have exactly, what kind of budget and the requirements in term of operation and connectivity, it is hard to give a good advice. Looks to me you don't have any issue with the current setup but simply wants to upgrade for the sake of upgrading without being sure the actual stuff you would buy would really be an upgrade in term of sound and experience.
    Sorry, I thought I linked the TEEAC we have in my OP, but it is this:
    http://audio.teac.com/product/lp-p1000/
    I really don't know how to interpret the specs on things in this arena. My wife enjoys listening to her old Commodores and other records from the late 60s' into maybe early 80s. Many of her records burned in a fire at her parents decades ago, but her sister had some and sent them along. If I get her a good TT, we may start getting more old vinyl.

My budget is limited, and it will depend on what I need to get. I now know most TT need a separate phono pre-amp, and then an amp, not sure if an integrated amp with phono can work instead of the 2 separate. I don't even know if anything I buy could go through the TEAC we have, until I can upgrade more in the future. I was going to use CNET recommendation on TT, they had good rec. for under $400, was hoping to use the TEAC speakers for now, and then was guessing another $400 for any amp/receiver I might need. However I just saw a well reviewed NAD, NAD C 316BEE Integrated Amplifier with Phono, on amazon that costs more then my TT budget.

Appreciate all the comments and expert thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Jim,

Your receiver/amplifier has a phono stage, I hope? The output from a tt needs to be equalized before it's amplified.

So if your equipment doesn't have that, you will need a tt that includes it.

Also, what's your price range?
    So all I have is this TEAC mini system:
    I have no idea if I can just run a new TT through it, assuming I can't and will need to get the other components?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the specs, you have aux-in but no phono-in which mean you would need either a turntable with an integrated pre-amp, either a turntable + preamp.

I would say this Teac system seems like a really decent piece of kit if your room is not too big. The integrated turntable is also said to be usable with an external amp. Not sure what kind of room it is made to sonorize nor at which level your wife like to play here records, but I would say I would look first to buy a new amplifier and a set of good speakers before even thinking about upgrading the turntable (which can be done in a later step). If your budget is limited I would rather wait and save money for a longer term upgrade.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-05-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim, you can pic up decent new phono preamp for around $100. I'd definitely go for the used p3. I like regas; I have a 20 yr old planar 3 in my second system and I've never found a reason to replace it.

BTW, how are the pentax binoculars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    According to the specs, you have aux-in but no phono-in which mean you would need either a turntable with an integrated pre-amp, either a turntable + preamp.

I would say this Teac system seems like a really decent piece of kit if your room is not too big. The integrated turntable is also said to be usable with an external amp. Not sure what kind of room it is made to sonorize nor at which level your wife like to play here records, but I would say I would look first to buy a new amplifier and a set of good speakers before even thinking about upgrading the turntable (which can be done in a later step). If your budget is limited I would rather wait and save money for a longer term upgrade.
    TT is currently in the main family room open to kitchen, probably a 16' x40 space. Family room has a 6-speaker surround sound mounted at 4 corners and mid-point of ceiling. we however have never used it because the input was above the fireplace for a wall mounted flat screen, and she wanted her painting there and TV in the corner. If I'm not here, she will paly loud enough to here in other areas of the house, but my main goal was just to give her a better system for her favorite records.

She hasn't complained about anything, so maybe the TEAC is pretty good for her. I obviously don't really know what I am doing. My plan was new (or used) TT, phono pre-amp (like Schiit Mani Phono Preamp), and bookshelf speakers like Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (used) or Klipsch RB-51 II (new) speakers. I initially assumed I could run the output of the TT & pre-amp through the TEAC to the upgraded speakers, now I'm not sure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So all I have is this TEAC mini system:
    I have no idea if I can just run a new TT through it, assuming I can't and will need to get the other components?
    Ah. Well in the long run you need everything!

Honestly, I'd start by replacing either the amplification or the speakers. That unit has "AUX Audio Output" so you could connect that output to the input of a decent integrated amp (one that either includes a phono preamp, or has enough inputs to add one when you replace the turntable) And connect that decent integrated amp to a decent set of inexpensive speakers. And, finally, you could get a decent turntable.

Something like this:

NAD C316 integrated amp, $450
    ELAC Debut 2.0 speakers, $300
    Rega Planar 1 w/cartridge, $475

The NAD has plenty of inputs, so you could attach a network streamer, a CD or DVD player, your TV audio, etc.

I know that many would consider this $1,200 system extravagant. So if you do, too, just ignore me. I'll go back to my corner.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My plan was new (or used) TT, phono pre-amp (like Schiit Mani Phono Preamp), and bookshelf speakers like Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (used) or Klipsch RB-51 II (new) speakers. I initially assumed I could run the output of the TT & pre-amp through the TEAC to the upgraded speakers, now I'm not sure...
    Throw an amp in there, between the Mani and the speakers, and you're in business!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Throw an amp in there, between the Mani and the speakers, and you're in business!
    Thanks!, that was the NAD I saw on amazon. Can I ask what makes you suggest ELAC over the andrew jones pioneer bookshelf (not expensive on ebay) and the Klipsch bookshelf?

Am I correct in that if I did the new TT to Mani to NAD to current speakers that the current TEAC (for radio or CD) can also plug into the NAD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!, that was the NAD I saw on amazon. Can I ask what makes you suggest ELAC over the andrew jones pioneer bookshelf (not expensive on ebay) and the Klipsch bookshelf?

Am I correct in that if I did the new TT to Mani to NAD to current speakers that the current TEAC (for radio or CD) can also plug into the NAD?
    A big, big caveat: I haven't heard any of these! I based those pick on reputation and reviews, for high-value inexpensive equipment. I've also read great things about those Klipschs too. I know nothing about those Pioneers.

The NAD C316BEE V2 has a built-in phono preamp so the Mani would be superfluous. With either C316, the TEAC could plug right in.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an NAD C328 in my third system. Its a nice unit and sounds fine streaming and playing CDs through the little speakers I mated it with. I haven't run a TT into it but I recommend the unit as reliable, seemingly well built, intuitive, and good value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a hugely slippery slope, be careful.

047f65b187837d51a00c3a636b917c5b49a0c21b.jpg.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast