Thread: considering a turntable

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: considering a turn table

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    You guys got me digging a bit, and based on a Wirecutter recommendation I came across these guys:

https://uturnaudio.com/

Looks intriguing - affordable custom.
    Huh. I browsed their site and they look legit. Kind of a less edgy Schiit, for direct-sale made in the USA analog. Cool.

Plus, Woburn!!!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    HiFi audio has a lot if similarities with road cycling. There are a lot of urban myths and dubious pseudo science theories spread by people, there is virtually no upper limit in price and past a specific decent budget the difference in performance, or in the case of audio sound quality, are much more minute if not at times totally placebo.

Sometimes, taking time to arrange your room and place your speaker in a more efficient position makes more difference than swapping components. Same as dialing your position on the bike.
    Very true, and like cycling there are points where there are serious leaps in performance/enjoyment. Also there are different strokes for different folks. The horn speaker guys, the open baffle guys, the direct drive TTers, the Lynn and Nairobi guys going on about PRAT. Its all fascinating from a social point of view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an AR turntable with a ~1971 Transcriptors tone arm that I grafted onto it.
    It is really tedious to use. I'm better your wife would not like it. Mine clearly does not.
    Before going into this, find out if she wants to put a stack of records on the changer, or whether she wants to change each one by hand.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Mark, but we don't have a "changer". She plays one record at a time, sometimes just for a single track, then changes etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    You guys got me digging a bit, and based on a Wirecutter recommendation I came across these guys:

https://uturnaudio.com/

Looks intriguing - affordable custom.

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Huh. I browsed their site and they look legit. Kind of a less edgy Schiit, for direct-sale made in the USA analog. Cool.

Plus, Woburn!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    thanks Mark, but we don't have a "changer". She plays one record at a time, sometimes just for a single track, then changes etc

Looks pretty nice. I wonder what the relative benefit is to the various options-like acrylic vs MDF platter or different cartridges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing that the upgraded platters are 'deader' acoustically, so impart less coloration to the music.

As far as cartridges, whoa boy... These are transducers (in this case acoustic to electric) so they make a big, big difference. I have an Ortofon 2M Blue myself. Their cartridge guide is a really nice, easy-to-understand intro.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connected our old Technics yesterday (to a really nice Pioneer Elite AVR) and grabbed a few of my wife's lp's. Lp's that have not seen the light of day in 35+years. Sounded pretty nice.....classic Sonus Faber speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

speaking of old vinyl... is this sort of thing okay for cleaning records--and particularly the little thingy they use to gently (with a pulling motion) clean the needle (Stylus?)
    https://www.amazon.com/Record-Cleane...H2A9VDWX25NSR0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to know to. Some of the lp's in my wife's collection could use a bit of cleaning.

Looking at a CD player now as well. Have plenty and I would like to listen to some of them again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard good things about this guy: https://spinclean.com/

Fortunately I've kept mine clean and stored since I was a wee lad, so I get away with an Audioquest anti-static brush before I drop the needle.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll put it here too—I think a vacuum cleaning machine is only needed when you’re getting a bunch of used records of unknown history. I’ve grabbed some greats at thrift stores but holy hell were they filthy. I’ve been happy with my record doctor setup.

But I think for anyone who is just caring for their records having a dry brush for regular use and a wet solution/pad for some situations is fine. I was happy for years with the gruvglide stuff before I got the vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The easiest effective way to clean records which I've found is the Discwasher. I have the original, but it appears no longer made.I linked to something easy to find on Amazon. It's merely a corduroy-like fabric with directional fibers; just like many lint wands you can buy. They usually come with some secret fluid but you can replace it with distilled water if you must, although I'm sure filtered was would be just as clean.

The Discwasher and its clones are cheap, fast, effective, and take up little space. I've had mine for decades.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing that the upgraded platters are 'deader' acoustically, so impart less coloration to the music.

As far as cartridges, whoa boy... These are transducers (in this case acoustic to electric) so they make a big, big difference. I have an Ortofon 2M Blue myself. Their cartridge guide is a really nice, easy-to-understand intro.
    Yes, I had a look at their cartridge guide. I was thinking of ordering one with a plain painted base, high end cartridge and tone arm lifter, because my hands are shaky sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Yes, I had a look at their cartridge guide. I was thinking of ordering one with a plain painted base, high end cartridge and tone arm lifter, because my hands are shaky sometimes.
    Get the platter upgrade too!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the platter upgrade too!
    That may be all the encouragement I need.

Anyway, it should sound better than what I have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@spopepro - I tried to reply to your PM but you've exceeded your messaging space.

But anyway, thanks for your response!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123