Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Stereo Music Box Thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default One Piece Stereo Music Box Thing

I want a nice looking box that sounds good. We've had Bose Wavewhatsit units before, and they always sound a bit muddy to me - except that I could turn the volume down to almost nothing and listen to the BBC perfectly clearly as I drifted off to sleep. But I liked the utility of it and the lack of anything more than a power cable.

I found this one from Revo, which looks great. I am a big Dieter Rams fan, and this reminds me of some of his Braun radio designs from the 60's and 70's. But I know nothing of the company. Price isn't horrible, but if someone has experience with them, let me know. But this is the sort of box with the sort of features I imagine getting. Plus it matches the house.

There are also some I've seen from Ruark that I like, but it doesn't look like I can get those in the USA.

And then I am a sucker for anything Eames (Eames toilet seat? Sure!) so of course I like the limited edition Vitra Eames Radio (which I think is made by Revo actually.)

More design than HiFi and just music files, internet radio, etc. Really don't like Sonos.

Any experience/suggestions?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: One Piece Stereo Music Box Thing

I picked up an Audio Pro C10 earlier this year after being in the same boat as you.
    It’s nicer than any Bose I’ve ever heard, one piece, plug and play, and I like that you can stream over Bluetooth and WiFi. The latter seems to have better range and no audio drops.
    They can be paired with other speakers from the same company if you’re looking to do a multi room setup.
    Mine is easy to move, so it generally lives in my home office during the week and out into the main room for the weekend.

https://us.audiopro.com/product/addon-c10/#grey

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno your budget but in a pandemic how else are you spending money? www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/RS200

Of course, for that price you could get a NAD amp and a pair of Sonus Faber speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    I dunno your budget but in a pandemic how else are you spending money? www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/RS200

Of course, for that price you could get a NAD amp and a pair of Sonus Faber speakers.
    Whoa. That looks amazing but yeah, the price.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tivoli radios have been around a while so they must be popular. I don't own one so I can't vouch for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tivoli sound good but not great.

Some of the Klipsh offerings are great. The Three II (stupid name) sounds quite good to my ears. Not sure if it has all the bells and whistles you want though and it's not as refined looking. . . .
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably depends a lot on the volume you expect to play at and the room size, but I went on a similar quest last year and settled on the Tivoli after my last system crapped out after a nearly 20 year stint. I use it with an outlet timer for my morning wake-up radio. on at 5AM and off at 8AM every single day. volume is low as i keep it on my nightstand. i think the sound is pretty darn good for the size of the unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Apple HomePod that sounds great, especially considering the size. It was very easy to setup and it just works ... "Hey Siri, play the new Jason Isbell" ... and there it is. Supposedly it does some other smart house things but I don't bother with all of that. Also have two HomePods Mini spread about that do the same thing more or less, in a smaller size and with a bit less volume. We are deeply bound to the Apple eco-system so the HomePods were the obvious, and really only, choice. The Homepod also syncs seamlessly with AppleTV and sounds as good (maybe better) as the Bose soundbar on the bedroom TV.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Polack View Post
    The Tivoli radios have been around a while so they must be popular. I don't own one so I can't vouch for them.
    I personally think they sound awful, muddy and bloated. My wife has a little Grundig unit that is, I think, the unit Tivoli copied. It is much cleaner than the Tivoli on FM but has terrible AM reception. Not strictly one piece because the FM aerial supplied is rubbish, an external aerial allows the unit to reach its potential.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you need the capacity to control and play radios / local music out of the box or do you want something smartphone/computer controlled through bluetooth/wifi.

I have always saw that company more as a design company than a sound excellence focused one but was suprised at a Copenhagen museum how nice a very simple and small Bang & Olufsen Beosound A1 portable bluetooth speaker sounded. I would be curious what other bigger devices from the Beoplay range would sound.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’ve had two Tivoli radios. A Model One and a Music System, both earlier non-Bluetooth models than are listed on their site. Both slowly decayed electronically over several years until they finally stopped working. That’s the only way I can describe it. Decay. Slow build up of static, noisy pots & tuning dial, progressive loss of volume. Very weird. They look very nice but I can’t in good faith buy another one.

The fall back is a Sonos 5, the newer model that runs about $500. Sound is actually excellent and it can be operated from any computer or device in the house because it doesn’t contain a radio - as Thomas suggests, this might be the best option.

I’ve heard the B&O portable speakers and they are similarly excellent, but the price is exponentially more for living room size than the Sony so if I go that route I might as well stick with the Sony. I am also not much for B&O’s bizarre designs in their larger models.

I liked Geneva Labs but they don’t seem to make the speakers that they used to make. But I’ll need to go back and look again. I wish I had known they made an excellent-looking tv pedestal with speaker - I might have gotten that for our television.

Our house is a smart speaker free environment. We have enough leaks of our personal information already. No Siri, no Alexa, no Hey Google. We’ve turned off as much as we can find on our computers and phones and appliances. I actually liked the Sonos more when I found I could get versions without any microphone.

One thing - why are all the cool, esoteric, elegant audio solutions coming out of the UK? Every time I find something neato burrito it seems to have a UK home address.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're looking at the Sonos Five? I'd recommend two Sonos One SLs in a stereo pair. They will be cheaper and you can create a stereo pair which, ATMO, is vastly preferable to a mono speaker.

This is the setup I have in our living room. It's an inconspicuous, great-sounding system for less than $400.

ones.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...abletop-radio/

Jorn...here are a few from a 3-year old NYT article, but you could always go shortwave if you’re into the BBC and Radio Free Europe, although replacement tubes might be tough to source. My Dad gave a Hallicrafters WR-600 to me for my 10th birthday when I was a kid...what else does one expect as a son of Marine Corps radio operator, right?
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 12-30-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Arcam rCube that suffices.

https://www.amazon.com/Arcam-rCube-P.../dp/B0047ZGFYY
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    You're looking at the Sonos Five? I'd recommend two Sonos One SLs in a stereo pair. They will be cheaper and you can create a stereo pair which, ATMO, is vastly preferable to a mono speaker.

This is the setup I have in our living room. It's an inconspicuous, great-sounding system for less than $400....
    Good tip. That may be the least painful and thus simplest answer. The white ones fit the decor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...abletop-radio/

Jorn...here are a few from a 3-year old NYT article, but you could always go shortwave if you’re into the BBC and Radio Free Europe, although replacement tubes might be tough to source. My Dad gave a Hallicrafters WR-600 to me for my 10th birthday when I was a kid...what else does one expect as a son of Marine Corps radio operator, right?
    I had a Grundig with an earpiece I used to listen to the BBC World Service as I fell asleep when I was younger. We met plenty of people in Eastern Europe who similarly listened to RFE. Very few Americans know how valuable that service is or what it even does. Travesty what's happened to it. Hopefully Biden will reverse the destruction and revitalize the service.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Our house is a smart speaker free environment. We have enough leaks of our personal information already. No Siri, no Alexa, no Hey Google. We’ve turned off as much as we can find on our computers and phones and appliances. I actually liked the Sonos more when I found I could get versions without any microphone.
    I too am trying to limit any intrusion of anything close to alexa or google home but the choice seems to be increasingly limiting. Working almost 100% at home I was in the market for some quality headphones with voice support and noise cancellation. I looked at Bose, Jabra and Sony and all their high end devices have some home assistant function. I will eventually have to try one but I hope they don't force enabling it on my smartphone if paired to it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So like most threads, I’m following this with interest. I need, want etc something for when we are at our daughter’s and SIL’s cabin. Any suggestions in the Shimano 105 range for those of us who are frugal?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a lot of headphone/mic combos without "intelligence". You've got to shop more expansively than the first Google hits.

My favorite is the Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 earbuds, which unfortunately are not currently available. $100, and I use them as my workout headphones, then change the cable to add a mic, and plug into my desktop PC for my 'office' phone.

I am sure there are other great values out there, slightly outside the mainstream.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    So like most threads, I’m following this with interest. I need, want etc something for when we are at our daughter’s and SIL’s cabin. Any suggestions in the Shimano 105 range for those of us who are frugal?

Mike
    Two Sonos One SLs in a stereo pair.
    GO!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast