Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Piece Stereo Music Box Thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: One Piece Stereo Music Box Thing

We hear a lot about Sonos but they have dubious business practices. What about the Yamaha musiccast offering and quality ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    So like most threads, I’m following this with interest. I need, want etc something for when we are at our daughter’s and SIL’s cabin. Any suggestions in the Shimano 105 range for those of us who are frugal?

Mike
    Mike, for portable sound, my sister has a Bose Soundlink Color II like this one here at B&H. Seemed like it put out remarkably larger better sound than it should for its size.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Mike, for portable sound, my sister has a Bose Soundlink Color II like this one here at B&H. Seemed like it put out remarkably larger better sound than it should for its size.
    I own the slightly smaller and cheaper Bose Soundlink Micro and it is a remarkable IPX7 device that you can use to sonorize a room, use along the beach, hook to your bicycle handlebar. Hey I even did Standup Paddle with it. It is so small I tend to carry it with me along the house when I go from one room to another. I read reviews that said the soundlink Color was too close to the micro for the additionnal price to be justified and that people should either look for the Micro or go for the slightly bigger Revolve. And this thread prompted me to order a Bose Soundlink Revolve a few hours ago to see if I like the multiroom capabilities of these. I might just end up with a bunch of these Bose devices in the end.

The good thing about the Soundlink Color is it has an aux-in port which the Soundlink micro do not have. The Soundlink Revolve and Revolve+ can actually act has high quality computer sound cards as well.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm looking for an all-in-one unit (including a CD player) so I can get my Denon/Yamaha/Wharfedale setup out of the kitchen. I don't want or need "smart"

This Toshiba unit caught my eye:https://www.toshibaaudio.com/product...dio-ty-cwu700/

1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm looking for an all-in-one unit (including a CD player) so I can get my Denon/Yamaha/Wharfedale setup out of the kitchen. I don't want or need "smart"

This Toshiba unit caught my eye:https://www.toshibaaudio.com/product...dio-ty-cwu700/

1.jpg
    That is nice looking. Supposed to have a solid wood case too. Bluetooth version is older. But if you ever need Bluetooth and this version doesn’t stream music smoothly, you can usually connect an up to date BT audio link to a 3.5 port.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    We hear a lot about Sonos but they have dubious business practices. What about the Yamaha musiccast offering and quality ?
    What are these practices?

The only controversy I know about is that they've stopped updating their oldest products to work with their newest software.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas is probably referring to the software update limitations to new gear if it’s connected to older devices...they’ve taken a lot of heat over this.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90454672...-for-a-boycott

People are particularly angry about one paragraph in Sonos’s blog post announcement, which says that if any older devices are connected to new devices, those new speakers also will not receive software updates “because Sonos is a system.” Sonos customer and journalist Kirk McElhearn wrote on Twitter that while it’s expected that eventually old hardware will stop receiving updates, Sonos’s decision to apply the policy to new speakers “is the stuff of class action lawsuits.”
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    What are these practices?

The only controversy I know about is that they've stopped updating their oldest products to work with their newest software.
    Well they stopped doing it because it made a big fuss accross the globe, but they also bricked perfectly functionning device at distance as part of a discount program. All this while pretending they cared about the planet. I can understand the fact you don't want to have unsafe devices running in the wild but people should have the choice to :
    - be warned and run outdated device in their own private network. As long as it doesn't phone home or is reachable from the internet, the security problem is very low
    - be able to use them as standard active speakers, connected to regular jack.

Sure they backed out but the simple fact they thought about it made me put them out of my buying list.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-31-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn,

That is right in my wheelhouse money wise. Thanks for the tip.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Well they stopped doing it because it made a big fuss accross the globe, but they also bricked perfectly functionning device at distance as part of a discount program. All this while pretending they cared about the planet. I can understand the fact you don't want to have unsafe devices running in the wild but people should have the choice to :
    - be warned and run outdated device in their own private network. As long as it doesn't phone home or is reachable from the internet, the security problem is very low
    - be able to use them as standard active speakers, connected to regular jack.

Sure they backed out but the simple fact they thought about it made me put them out of my buying list.
    OK, thanks.

That whole thing, according to my opinion, was way overblown. You buy the discounted upgrade and they disable your old speakers is hardly, "...pretending they cared about the planet." It was a ill-considered decision and they reversed it.

I say this as a happy Sonos customer who has no intention of "upgrading" my Connect to a Port.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, dumb question. Do I need a Connect or Port unit to use the Sonos speakers? Can't I just plug the speakers in, set them up with the app and then stream music from my laptop (or whatever device) over them?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, dumb question. Do I need a Connect or Port unit to use the Sonos speakers? Can't I just plug the speakers in, set them up with the app and then stream music from my laptop (or whatever device) over them?
    No other hardware required, pair them and go. I used two sets in my coffee shop and they were perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    No other hardware required, pair them and go. I used two sets in my coffee shop and they were perfect.
    Thanks!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Connect allows me to integrate with my other Sonos speakers & stream through my two-channel hifi.

now.jpg

Sorry if my reference derailed the thread!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had my eyes on these for years but can’t bring myself to dip that far into the bike budget...

https://www.brionvega.it/en/products...fonografo.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
    I have had my eyes on these for years but can’t bring myself to dip that far into the bike budget...
    That's more than just a "dip" in just about any bike budget.

And I have a hard time believing that an Italian company would design something that looked like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    That's more than just a "dip" in just about any bike budget.

And I have a hard time believing that an Italian company would design something that looked like that.
    I don't like it and would prefer a Braun design of the same era from an aesthetic point of view but you have to take into account it was designed 55 years ago and it came out of a famous design shop.

To give a bit of perspective, the very same companies built also much nicer cars at the same time these are comtemporary designs from Fiat and Lancia in the automotive world:

Last edited by sk_tle; 01-02-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get some Bang and Olufsen mid-fi and be done with it.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread sent me down the rabbit hole...anyone familiar with Elac's version? https://www.audioadvice.com/videos-r...peaker-review/

Have a Riva TurboX that we've enjoyed. Great form factor, sound is decent for a small room, its portable and at $200 a bargain https://rivaaudio.com/riva-turbo-x/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast