User Tag List

Thread: Anvil Journeyman fixture

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anvil Journeyman fixture

I'm thinking of scooping up the Anvil Journeyman that's currently for sale in the Classifieds section but, feel a bit out of my element. It's at least 11 years old and I know there were improvements made to the Journeyman since then. I'm worried that it might not be able to build with all the current trends. Am I worried about nothing? Anyone out there familiar enough with Anvil and all the iterations to fill me in here?

Farr and Cobra will have their fixtures available soon but, at double the price, is it worth passing up an Anvil for those? (I hope I'm not offending them, I know Todd is on here...I already use one of his fork fixtures and like it a lot. I'm planning to buy one of his brake tab tools shortly too. :)

Thanks,

Lyle Wiens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anvil Journeyman fixture

It's a good fixture.

WAY better then my first, ummm.........three of them?

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anvil Journeyman fixture

I am the chap with the ad for the Anvil Journeyman. I just saw this question and thought Id shed some light. I just went out and measured the Front Center of the Anvil and it is 61cm +- a couple mm.

My building has not strayed too far away from traditional. Though I have built 2 bikes for a gent that is 6'10". As I mentioned in the ad. I dont remember what the FC was for those bikes but it wasnt close to maxing out. The bike I am working on now for a 6'0" gent has a 72 degree ST, a 72 degree HT, a virtual TT of 620mm and a FC of 473mm...so roughly 14cm of capacity left. Much more than that and you run into issues of locating Down Tubes that are of sufficient length.

I did help David Folch design the 36e bike he built for Shaq...Actually got as far as brazing the DT HT pre-assembly before he had a change in direction for his Dirty Sixer (we found a Ti builder to take over the project. ) The Anvil handled that geo. It was a square frame with a proportionally high BB. It was maxed out for that project.

The BB to Rear Axle on the Anvil is maxed out at 49cm.

If you are planning on following Peter Verdone into the world of Warbirds and such then the Anvil isn't the fixture for you. (Although I think he did build the warbird on his Anvil. No idea if later versions addressed this forward geometry or not???

Always happy to answer any questions.
    Hale Sramek
    halekai machine