User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 68 of 94 FirstFirst ... 585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1861

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Anecdote:

One of my colleagues, 55 yo male, good health, got Moderna booster on Monday. Said it kicked his ass. Much worse than shot two. Effects lasted 48hrs. I'll be due for booster late Sept / early Oct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Anecdote:

One of my colleagues, 55 yo male, good health, got Moderna booster on Monday. Said it kicked his ass. Much worse than shot two. Effects lasted 48hrs. I'll be due for booster late Sept / early Oct.
    Not sure whether that confirms his earlier vaccinations did a good job setting up his immune system OR that it is good that he got the booster OR both.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    To wit.. this graphic:

Attachment 119470

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

How can this be?

I realize that I speak graph, but how could that be made any more obvious? This needs to be a clarion call.

Holy fucking shit.
    Plain as day.
    Wake the fuck up.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 08-26-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

How can this be?

I realize that I speak graph, but how could that be made any more obvious? This needs to be a clarion call.

Holy fucking shit.
    Plain as day.
    Wake the fuck up.
    It's a death cult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only explanation is that this was a genetically engineered virus released by the Chinese to specifically target the superior “Nordic stock” genes of the former president’s devotees.

…clear as day.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not sure whether that confirms his earlier vaccinations did a good job setting up his immune system OR that it is good that he got the booster OR both.
    My guess is both. He is a physician and was pleased with the jolt it gave his system (“it works” were his words).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    The Death of Expertise

At the bottom of all of it, Nichols finds “a growing wave of narcissism.” Voters increasingly see political figures as extensions of themselves—“He’s just like me!”—imagining shared personalities and values. Narcissism elevates feelings above facts, and it breeds social resentment, a major driver, Nichols believes, of the revolt against expertise. “People cannot accept ever being at a disadvantage in a conversation with anybody else,” he says. “It’s a persistent insecurity that goads people into having to say that they know something even when they don’t. Which didn’t used to be the case—we used to be a much more reasonable culture. You know, everybody doesn’t have to know everything.”

Something else, too, gnaws at Nichols: “It strikes me that the affluence and convenience of modern society lull people into thinking that it all kind of happens magically, without any human intervention. People live in a world that functions, and not just because of technical experts, but policy experts too.” Americans can board an airplane and fly almost anywhere in the world, unencumbered—a triumph of pilots and aeronautical engineers, but also of diplomats and air-traffic control regulators and transportation security policymakers. “People have just gotten used to remarkable ease,” he says. “They look around and say, ‘How hard could this be?’ You know? ‘How hard can it be?’…That idea is totally animating our political life right now. People say, ‘We’ll elect Donald Trump and he’ll just put in a bunch of guys. We don’t need those experts. That’s the swamp. Because, really, how hard can any of this be?’”

He wrote his book largely before the rise of Trumpism, and years before Covid, but everything in it goes to show how certain populations in the USA were primed to be wrecked by what has come.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to follow the same pattern in Canada right now. From data I've seen while Alberta strongly outpaced BC earlier this year in infections per 100K, BC and Alberta are neck and neck right now. Hmm.
    It is a bit like Clarke's third law- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

For many people because of their lack of education, lack of curiosity, this all seems like magic. They want to burn the witches at the stake.

Or on a more sinister note from HG Wells 'Time Machine', the morlocks ate the ewoks. In many respects, the morlocks have been eating the ewoks in our country for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    It is a bit like Clarke's third law- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

For many people because of their lack of education, lack of curiosity, this all seems like magic. They want to burn the witches at the stake.

Or on a more sinister note from HG Wells 'Time Machine', the morlocks ate the ewoks. In many respects, the morlocks have been eating the ewoks in our country for a while.
    Except that the uneducated are but a subsegment of this cohort. The mind boggles.

That said, I suppose it's not unlike having faith when one is a student of logic. One well-respected and well-liked philosopher once explained how he reconciles being a philosopher, in a relentless pursuit of logic and cogent analysis, and being a follower of Christian faith. (I forget which denomination.) Whilst eloquently and empathetically presented, it still made no sense logically, but it did make sense as a human perspective. All too human.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Except that the uneducated are but a subsegment of this cohort. The mind boggles.

That said, I suppose it's not unlike having faith when one is a student of logic. One well-respected and well-liked philosopher once explained how he reconciles being a philosopher, in a relentless pursuit of logic and cogent analysis, and being a follower of Christian faith. (I forget which denomination.) Whilst eloquently and empathetically presented, it still made no sense logically, but it did make sense as a human perspective. All too human.
    I know many people who are 'well educated' but use the internet for confirmation bias. It's a self reinforcing loops... It is like uneducating yourself....

(I have this tendency and try to be vigilant.)

But I think most of this is people realizing they are Ewoks and they are sick of being eaten by the Morlocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is that graph from? Reddit? Or NYTimes/MIT? What county does it refer to?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Where is that graph from? Reddit? Or NYTimes/MIT? What county does it refer to?
    It's someone on Reddit using data from the NYT/MIT to make the chart.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

I think you are mixing up Sci-Fi universes, but otherwise sounds about right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teach more science in public schools. Please get vaccinated and encourage others to do likewise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    Teach more science in public schools. Please get vaccinated and encourage others to do likewise.
    I believe you’re preaching to the choir here. There have been questions asked about the vaccine and some quality debate but I don’t think anyone here (or very few) have expressed real skepticism about the vaccine.

The next debate will be the booster shots, which seem inevitable but have the possible ethical questions about wealthy nations vs non-wealthy nations who have less access to first or second doses.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The near futility of contact tracing with delta….

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    The near futility of contact tracing with delta….

You can get covid vaccinated... but the risks of becoming lethal are reduced. Seems worth it to me.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    You can get covid vaccinated... but the risks of becoming lethal are reduced. Seems worth it to me.
    Delta halves the time from exposure to symptom onset. Most don't seem to be aware of that. At least the girl, in the video wasn't. If you're infected on a Fri and symptomatic on a Sunday (testing on a Monday), as my wife was, it's tough to do effective contact tracing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Delta halves the time from exposure to symptom onset. Most don't seem to be aware of that. At least the girl, in the video wasn't. If you're infected on a Fri and symptomatic on a Sunday (testing on a Monday), as my wife was, it's tough to do effective contact tracing.
    If you get it in half the time wouldn't that make it easier to contract trace due to needed to go back fewer days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    I think you are mixing up Sci-Fi universes, but otherwise sounds about right
    Eloi, I stand corrected. Such a rich multiverse to choose from....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    If you get it in half the time wouldn't that make it easier to contract trace due to needed to go back fewer days?
    You're already infectious by the time you receive the call or notification versus having a 2 or 3 day window before. In other words, you've circulated more while possibly contagious.