User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 16 of 94 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ....So put as many needles into the arms of people with the highest exposure so we don't run out of medical professionals. Anything leftover goes to the most vulnerable health-wise. One round of vaccinations is better than no round of vaccinations so use up everything you've got and fingers crossed for the next shipment to arrive before everyone has to be redone from the get-go.

Meanwhile Michigan and Maine got shipments of Moderna that had spoiled. 16,000 doses off the table.

NY cancelled 23,000 appointments due to additional Moderna delays.
    Yes, and then TELL people this is the plan. The communication has been atrocious on so many levels. If there’s no second dose for me because they are going to get as many 1st doses out, then tell me (and the other healthcare providers who can’t get an appt for #2 ), and I’ll remove that from my cognitive to-do list. But don’t make me hunt for an appt that doesn’t exist because there is no supply and don’t tell me that you’ve decided 2d dose can be given further out than the manufacturers’ specified schedule just because you can’t manage the logistics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default vaccine-thread

I’m not even talking about exhausting all doses available and gambling on timing of a second. The CADPH is clear with their language: 3.75MM *full courses* distributed. Not single doses, not on order... that’s over 5MM single doses sitting in local and multi county health orgs right now, unused. Yet, the message to us is “we don’t have enough for everyone who qualifies, so until we figure it out (what?) sit tight.

The only thing I can think is that they saw the National blowback from Stanford’s mistake, and would at this point prefer to hold instead of risking some bad press for folks getting “out of order”.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-21-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: vaccine-thread

If any of these numbers of total and used and distributed and available are real. What other numbers in this entire epidemic have been 100% accurate?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One round of vaccinations is better than no round of vaccinations

When the immune system first encounters a vaccine, it activates two important types of white blood cell. First up are the plasma B cells, which primarily focus on making antibodies. Unfortunately, this cell type is short-lived, so although your body might be swimming in antibodies within just a few weeks, without the second shot this is often followed by a rapid decline.

Then there are the T cells, each of which is specifically tailored to identify a particular pathogen and kill it. Some of these, memory T cells, are able to linger in the body for decades until they stumble upon their target – meaning immunity from vaccines or infections can sometimes last a lifetime. But crucially, you usually won't have many of this cell type until the second meeting.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...e-vaccine-dose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    When the immune system first encounters a vaccine, it activates two important types of white blood cell. First up are the plasma B cells, which primarily focus on making antibodies. Unfortunately, this cell type is short-lived, so although your body might be swimming in antibodies within just a few weeks, without the second shot this is often followed by a rapid decline.

Then there are the T cells, each of which is specifically tailored to identify a particular pathogen and kill it. Some of these, memory T cells, are able to linger in the body for decades until they stumble upon their target – meaning immunity from vaccines or infections can sometimes last a lifetime. But crucially, you usually won't have many of this cell type until the second meeting.

Thanks. Good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd shot kicked my butt. I'd say it's been about 50% with my staff needing a solid day to recover. I had all the symptoms......fever (101 degrees), aches, chills, nausea, and my lymph node was (still is) sore. Had my shot at 6:20 AM on Monday.

I would happily do it again. You feel like you have COVID superpowers afterwards. :)
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post

Yeah, I understand how it works. I was suggesting that some people in charge may be using first dosages as time-buyers, not as actual solutions, especially if supply shortages mean no 2nd vaccines are on the way for a while. I am being cynical not uninformed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Late this afternoon I got this from my primary care provider:

Dear (name of practice omitted) patient,

On Monday evening January 18, 2021, (name of practice omitted) was advised by the NYC Commissioner of Health of the shortage of Covid vaccine and that New York City had not received enough vaccine from the federal government for widespread distribution. At the present time, our order will not be filled. The major health systems and NYC Vaccination Clinics which have pending vaccine orders will receive their supply before we do. We will call our eligible patients on the wait list as soon as we receive a supply of vaccine.

For all those seeking vaccination, the City and State are actively advocating to the federal government to receive more vaccine, but they do not expect vaccine to be widely available until mid-2021. Please check the New York City Health Department website at NYC.gov for updates.
    And Gov. Cuomo sent out this in his daily update:

The footrace continues between our ability to quickly distribute the vaccine and the new strains and new cases. Our large network of distribution sites is ready, willing and able to get more vaccines to New Yorkers, faster—the problem is supply from the federal government. So we need all New Yorkers to stay vigilant as we enter the worst phase of the winter. We all need to wash hands, wear masks and social distance. The extent of community spread is a function of our actions, and we can slow it down. New Yorkers have already been brave and resilient through the enormous hardship that we've faced over the last year, saving countless lives. Now we need to get through to the light at the end of the tunnel.
    And:

In the past 24 hours, New York administered 96,000 doses. As of 11am today, New York's health care distribution sites have administered 93 percent of first doses received from the federal government, and 91 percent of first and second doses. But while we have the operational capacity to do more, our supply is scarce, and first dose supply could run out as soon as tomorrow. But I want to stress one important point: New Yorkers who have already received their first dose do not have to worry that they will not be able to get a second dose—we always ensure there are enough vaccine doses to complete the vaccination for those who got their first dose already.
    So if you are in NY and you qualified for and received a first dose, then you should get your second dose also.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-21-2021 at 10:18 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    2nd shot kicked my butt. I'd say it's been about 50% with my staff needing a solid day to recover. I had all the symptoms......fever (101 degrees), aches, chills, nausea, and my lymph node was (still is) sore. Had my shot at 6:20 AM on Monday.

I would happily do it again. You feel like you have COVID superpowers afterwards. :)
    Did you get Pfizer or Moderna and are you aware of any differences, symptom-wise, between the two vaccines after second dose?

My second Moderna shot is scheduled two weeks from today. Based on what I’m hearing, my Saturday ride may be in jeopardy; I hate missing my Saturday ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horscat View Post
    did you get pfizer or moderna and are you aware of any differences, symptom-wise, between the two vaccines after second dose?

My second moderna shot is scheduled two weeks from today. Based on what i’m hearing, my saturday ride may be in jeopardy; i hate missing my saturday ride.
    You hate missing your Saturday ride? You cannot be serious.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-22-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hearing of serious (ok, well, not that serious) flu-like symptoms after the second Moderna jab (which I am scheduled to get in three weeks) - and this from fellow health professionals who aren't prone to exaggeration.
    Don't get me wrong - I'll gladly suffer the inconvenience. And I know I'm very, very lucky. But still, oof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    I'm hearing of serious (ok, well, not that serious) flu-like symptoms after the second Moderna jab (which I am scheduled to get in three weeks) - and this from fellow health professionals who aren't prone to exaggeration.
    Don't get me wrong - I'll gladly suffer the inconvenience. And I know I'm very, very lucky. But still, oof.
    I think it is a good thing since it implies a pronounced response from your immune system to the virus. I'd be more concerned with no side effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I understand how it works. I was suggesting that some people in charge may be using first dosages as time-buyers, not as actual solutions, especially if supply shortages mean no 2nd vaccines are on the way for a while. I am being cynical not uninformed.
    Hey, it happens to me too! With this form of conversing and.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You hate missing your Saturday ride? You cannot be serious.
    Why cannot I be serious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Why cannot I be serious?
    You're lucky you are getting a second dose, let alone a first one. Missing a ride sounds like a minor inconvenience to me, even if due to suffering flu-like symptoms.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're lucky you are getting a second dose, let alone a first one. Missing a ride sounds like a minor inconvenience to me, even if due to suffering flu-like symptoms.
    Wow, ok. It was intended as a funny, but clearly it fell flat with at least one member of the audience. Obviously, missing one ride (or even a bunch of them) is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

The thrust of the inquiry was made in good faith and substantively germane to this thread. Thanks to @monadnocky for providing a helpful, on point response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, ok. It was intended as a funny, but clearly it fell flat with at least one member of the audience. Obviously, missing one ride (or even a bunch of them) is a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

The thrust of the inquiry was made in good faith and substantively germane to this thread. Thanks to @monadnocky for providing a helpful, on point response.
    Sorry I missed the humor. Number of deaths among friends and family are making things a bit tense on my end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you get Pfizer or Moderna and are you aware of any differences, symptom-wise, between the two vaccines after second dose?

My second Moderna shot is scheduled two weeks from today. Based on what I’m hearing, my Saturday ride may be in jeopardy; I hate missing my Saturday ride.
    I got the Pfizer. I know many people who have received both shots with Pfizer, but most of the people I know who received the Moderna shot will be getting their shot in 1-2 weeks. I anticipate the reactions will be equivalent. Same mechanics at work regarding the mRNA vaccine.

As the other poster noted, flu-like symptoms is very accurate for most. It is advised to not pre-medicate and hold off on meds for as long as you can. I probably waited too long but I wanted to feel the whole experience, good or bad. It was memorable. :)
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m in Florida at the moment and went to the local grocery store today, Publix. They are providing information about the vaccine and are apparently able to administer the vaccine, by appointment and presumably in their pharmacy. Currently all available appointments are booked up and contrary to what I had been told, one needs to be a Florida resident. Makes sense.

I’m not here for the vaccine FWIW. But I figured if it were available I’d consider getting it if it didn’t mean someone else wouldn’t get it. I am not a Florida resident.

Anyway, I’m glad to see that a high profile commerce crossroad like Publix is doing this. Many people may not have a doctor or health company they work with. But almost everyone goes to a grocery store and it’s not an intimidating place, which a medical facility can most definitely be. I’m hopeful this will be more common as it becomes more available - distribution in common places like grocery stores and pharmacies.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My primary health care provider e-mailed me last week with a list of appointments available for the Covid vaccine. I received the shot last Thursday and the next day I received another e-mail from them with a list of appointments available for the second shot.

It seems the providers are getting the vaccine (mine was the Moderna) before the “local” pharmacies.