User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 14 of 94 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's all good.

Story from the front lines--one of my organization's responsibilities is the educational programs for students who are incarcerated and students who are in-patient behavioral/psychological patients. The in-patient facility was high on the priority list for clinicians, and they (thankfully and rightfully) included our teachers and instructional aides for that program on their count. When all doses were accounted for they ended up with one extra. We ended up having to spend 2 hours deciding who it should go to because the administrators of the program (vice principal, principal, etc.) didn't want it. Not because they don't desire to get vaccinated--they just don't want to jump in line before *any* teacher, instructional aide, or janitor. It took some work to convince the VP that it was the right thing to do.

I see a lot of folks around me working really hard to do the most just thing they can. I think those stories should be shared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Not to understate the obvious... what’s “normal?”
    Whatever was normative prior to the disruption for any given individual..

For me that was traveling in the western US on average 1-2x/mon to attend meetings or conferences for 2-4 days at a time, otherwise working from home and attending meetings or conferences local to me 1x/mon. I used to do group rides and go to stores to buy things. I went to multiple local farmer-market/foodie stores every week to get my provisions. I often worked in coffee shops when I had reading and writing to do, but no conference calls. I went to restaurants 2-3x/wk, saw family, etc. And occasionally I took a vacation to see family in other parts of the west or go ride my bike somewhere.

Like sk_tle, I doubt much of that normal will be returned to in 2021.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Whatever was normative prior to the disruption for any given individual..

For me that was traveling in the western US on average 1-2x/mon to attend meetings or conferences for 2-4 days at a time, otherwise working from home and attending meetings or conferences local to me 1x/mon. I used to do group rides and go to stores to buy things. I went to multiple local farmer-market/foodie stores every week to get my provisions. I often worked in coffee shops when I had reading and writing to do, but no conference calls. I went to restaurants 2-3x/wk, saw family, etc. And occasionally I took a vacation to see family in other parts of the west or go ride my bike somewhere.

Like sk_tle, I doubt much of that normal will be returned to in 2021.
    Dan - I tend to be an optimist, but I also am deep in the woods on Covid professionally. I think we will be back to your (and my BTW) normal by fall, with minor modifications.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are similar chatters amongst healthcare workers in Belgium too. Some of it must be because of a failure of marketing/education initiative or lack thereof.

'I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but...' US health workers' vaccine hesitancy raises alarm
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I jus spent 45 mins. trying to get through to register for an appointment. Finally got through and was told they were not making any more appointments but would notify me by email when one was available. I’m not holding my breath.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian snowbirds chartering private jets to fly south for faster COVID-19 vaccine access.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...cess-1.5257752

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I put my name on the list at VA. My group is coming up, they'll contact me when my appointment is set. It's just 15 minutes to the clinic, my boss is okay with anyone leaving to get the vaccine.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had #2 on Wed NBD; had 3 'rona pts out of 4 rooms yesterday. Frequency increase from my limited perspective.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposed to be getting my second dose tomorrow but it's just been cancelled - to be rearranged for March.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    There are similar chatters amongst healthcare workers in Belgium too. Some of it must be because of a failure of marketing/education initiative or lack thereof.

'I'm not an anti-vaxxer, but...' US health workers' vaccine hesitancy raises alarm
    Talked with my mom this morning (it’s her birthday 77) and I asked her about getting vaccinated. She then tells me her friend who works in a care facility says she won’t get a covid vaccine (compared it to flu vaccine and said the strains mutate so quickly that it’s not useful). So I tried to explain why that’s not the case and misleading info.
    She doesn’t consume reliable news and neither do those around her so it’s an uphill battle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second dose done today! Our 16 year old also started the Pfizer series as she works as a dietary aide in a nursing home. One of our physicians leading the effort to vaccinate others in our community had to put the pressure down as administration wanted more meetings and planning while we sat on 975 doses. It worked! Now we’re getting almost all 1a category people vaccinated in our community. My understanding with the poor role out; 1. Vaccinations sent to hospital systems and not knowing when they would arrive. 2. All of a sudden additional doses were allocated to us and we weren’t aware. 3. We cannot administer these doses outside of our campus. 4. We are using our staff to complete these vaccinations without compensation. So we’re moving staff from other positions and a cost burden on our organization without a plan from government institutions. 5. Our state public health system tasked with the plan is underfunded, understaffed, and overwhelmed. 6. The is failure of federal leadership. Systems should have been put in place months ago, stress tested and fine tuned. 7. Vaccinating the general public, at this point, is going to be a cluster-f$*k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife got her first vaccine yesterday. She said the process was quick and efficient. Lot's of security. Her second shot is scheduled for early February.

The firm my wife works at is in the process of getting certified to give the C19 vaccination. Once they do, I hope to get my shot(s).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Past Covid-19 infection "may provide months of immunity" and "Having the vaccine after recovering from Covid-19 is not an issue... and will likely boost the natural immunity,"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55651518

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Moderna dose last night. Mild sore arm (clearly inflammatory and not from needle) and mild fatigue and myalgias. Already cured with a cup of coffee and some acetaminophen. YMMV, but this is about what most seem to be experiencing in my neck of the woods (from both Moderna and Pfizer). Take a day or two off the bike after your second dose and let your immune system do its work.

Public distribution still a cluster but slowly getting organized around here (central NJ and eastern Philadelphia suburbs). It's totally on the health care providers with the feds completely uninvolved and the state dysfunctional. Everything in NJ stopped cold for three days because of the MLK holiday.That strikes me as antithetical to the spirit of the day - service to one's fellow man. Hopeful that the change of federal administration will get things straightened out on a widespread basis.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're definitely seeing some disconnects in the distribution and delivery system here in MA. The criteria/priorities seem pretty clear but the actual delivery does not strictly align.

Just to share a personal anecdote, I'm frustrated to see the system scheduling back-office hospital staff before front-line public school nurses.

I don't begrudge anyone accepting the vaccine when it's offered, but I'm hoping that this kind of thing gets addressed.

Maybe some guidance and support from the top will help?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I registered for the vaccine last week. Local paper reported yesterday that the county was going to receive 5,500 doses this week. Great news until the next sentence tells me 30,000 people signed up for the vaccine.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I registered for the vaccine last week. Local paper reported yesterday that the county was going to receive 5,500 doses this week. Great news until the next sentence tells me 30,000 people signed up for the vaccine.

Mike
    How does Florida prioritize who gets it?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is 65 + with older getting preference and health care workers. But with
    DeSantis you can never be sure. The high number of people signed up is a reflection of our population here of which and my wife are part of.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Second Moderna dose last night. Mild sore arm (clearly inflammatory and not from needle) and mild fatigue and myalgias. Already cured with a cup of coffee and some acetaminophen. YMMV, but this is about what most seem to be experiencing in my neck of the woods (from both Moderna and Pfizer). Take a day or two off the bike after your second dose and let your immune system do its work.
    Afternoon update, now pushing 24 hours since dose 2. Myalgias, chills alternating with hot all day and significant fatigue despite acetaminophen and good hydration. I'm actually happy because that means I already had antibodies after dose 1 and my immune system is cranking. Hoping symptoms are limited to 24 - 36 hours as others have seen. YMMV.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    ....Public distribution still a cluster ....
    That's an understatement. I'm due for #2 next week. The people ahead of me online are unable to get appts because sites in NY are not making appointments because we're reportedly running out. One of my coworkers, vaccinated 2 weeks ago, was told March!

March is, AFAIK, well outside the recommended vaccination schedule of 21 or 28 days between doses and I don't think the clinical trials anticipated that. So either this is COMPLETELY forked up or there's a last minute power-play drama to make the outgoing government look bad and suddenly the doses will be found Wednesday night. After getting an email from my employer on Friday telling me not to worry about dose #2 , that it will be provided on time....I'm entering worried mode.

Tin foil hat Bob is concerned this is totally messed up and large groups of people will have to start over completely after they aren't able to get dose #2 .