User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 30 of 94 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    it always amazes me that functional married couples can exist with fundamental ideologic differences like that. voting for trump, deciding not to vaccinate, picking sram over campy, etc. how can a partnership like a marriage work when people cant come together on big issues like this. i dont get it.

that said, if he's your pal, you probably dont really want him to get hit by a truck just because he's refusing to get vaccinated right? if that thought even crosses your mind it probably means you're too emotionally invested in his decision and you should probably step away for your own mental sanity, especially if it sounds like there is about zero chance of changing his mind.
    My wife and I separated a year ago. We live six miles apart. Continue to manage our joint affairs without undue acrimony- we have passed that stage. She says she won't get the Covid vaccine, or Shingrix, or the pneumonia vaccine. I am hoping she changes her mind because it will be very unpleasant should she get sick.

I will get my first shot tomorrow.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding a data point to the list:

I got my first (Pfizer) vaccine shot on Tuesday (so, just over three days ago). The only significant hassle was that I had to drive 90 minutes to Mexico (MO) to get it.

Only noticeable side-effect was local muscular pain starting shortly after my workout later that evening. I still felt it a bit the next morning, but nothing significant.
    I may have had a very, very, very slight headache, but only because I was looking for it. It was far below the threshold of being significant.

There was no wait at all, and from the time I parked my car to the time I was sitting down for the 15-minute post-shot safety wait, was 5 minutes max.
    I was automatically signed up for the booster 3 weeks later, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

So, other than having to drive nearly halfway across the state to get it, everything worked out as well as one might hope.

Edit: The irony of my having to drive there to get the shot is that the key building-blocks of the Pfizer vaccine start at the Pfizer facility in Chesterfield MO, which I drive by (on the highway) just about every day. It starts here in MO, is then shipped to Andover MA, then finally to Kalamazoo MI where the finishing touches are applied and it's bottled for end-use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter’s college just gave her her first Moderna shot this week.
    My wife and son received the J & J vaccine last week.
    I was vaccinated in December.
    It feels good to have everyone protected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Adding a data point to the list:

I got my first (Pfizer) vaccine shot on Tuesday (so, just over three days ago). The only significant hassle was that I had to drive 90 minutes to Mexico (MO) to get it.

Only noticeable side-effect was local muscular pain starting shortly after my workout later that evening. I still felt it a bit the next morning, but nothing significant.
    I may have had a very, very, very slight headache, but only because I was looking for it. It was far below the threshold of being significant.

There was no wait at all, and from the time I parked my car to the time I was sitting down for the 15-minute post-shot safety wait, was 5 minutes max.
    I was automatically signed up for the booster 3 weeks later, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

So, other than having to drive nearly halfway across the state to get it, everything worked out as well as one might hope.

Edit: The irony of my having to drive there to get the shot is that the key building-blocks of the Pfizer vaccine start at the Pfizer facility in Chesterfield MO, which I drive by (on the highway) just about every day. It starts here in MO, is then shipped to Andover MA, then finally to Kalamazoo MI where the finishing touches are applied and it's bottled for end-use.

My first Pfizer shot had some localized muscle pain for a few hours and the beginning of feeling like the flu for 2 hours in the evening. That completely disappeared.

For my second shot I had some muscle pain and that was it. No effects at all. Really happy with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYS has an app, NYS Wallet and after 14 days from your vaccine you confirm the MAC address of the microchip they injected, they download a QR code and for 6 months it works to get you into concerts or on a plane. Why they can't set everybody up with chip readers I don't understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had the second Moderna stick on Wednesday at a local pharmacy in Rye. Arm slightly sore, and tired--which is a good, means my immune system is working.

Bob M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    NYS has an app, NYS Wallet and after 14 days from your vaccine you confirm the MAC address of the microchip they injected, they download a QR code and for 6 months it works to get you into concerts or on a plane. Why they can't set everybody up with chip readers I don't understand.
    Does anyone here know why they have a "good for 6 months" date on them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    Does anyone here know why they have a "good for 6 months" date on them?
    I'm guessing we will need booster shots in the fall.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I both got our second Pfizer vac three weeks ago, neither of us experienced ill effects other than sore arms and feeling(more than usual) a bit tired for a day or two, first shot was only very mild soreness at the injection site for a day.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the people in the vaccine trials started six months ago and are still testing positive for antibodies. When they hit eight months, I bet these things get updated to eight months. Six months is about all the data we have at the moment.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Because the people in the vaccine trials started six months ago and are still testing positive for antibodies. When they hit eight months, I bet these things get updated to eight months. Six months is about all the data we have at the moment.
    That’s a logical answer and I’m not sure I am willing to give the Great Liberal Democratic Peoples Republic of NY that much credit but I’ll wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We did a vaccination event at work yesterday. Any employee that wanted a shot could get one. They offered me my second shot, but I'm sticking with my appointment on Tuesday at the VA for my second one. If it's going to leave me feeling tired and a wee bit sick, I'd rather have that midweek than on the weekend. My son gets his second next week as well. He had covid, the first shot messed with him for a day.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    We did a vaccination event at work yesterday. Any employee that wanted a shot could get one. They offered me my second shot, but I'm sticking with my appointment on Tuesday at the VA for my second one. If it's going to leave me feeling tired and a wee bit sick, I'd rather have that midweek than on the weekend. My son gets his second next week as well. He had covid, the first shot messed with him for a day.
    That was my philosophy with the second shingles shot. Missed two days of work while feeling like crap, but saved my weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fwiw, back in December when this thread was started I voted No in the poll, because I was very concerned that these vaccines were getting rushed to market as a political tool, and might possibly be side-stepping the usual testing, vetting, and peer-reviewing that typically accompanies a new drug's commercial release.

But it took so fcuking long for the vaccines to be made available to my category that I got it as soon as I was eligible*. Hey, most of those front-line workers and over-65-year-olds who got it three or four months before I was eligible didn't die, so... :::shrugs:::

Just got my 2nd does yesterday. "SERENITY NOW!"

*(Well, as soon as I could make an appointment after I was eligible, which added another couple weeks to the wait.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my first today.

A friend of a friend thought he'd wait to see whether the vaccine was effective. Over the advice of the former he flew to Turkey to see his wife. He died in a Turkish hospital. She survived.

Two weeks after the second I will go to CA to see a few relatives while there is still time, given their ages and health profiles.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 people in my office have tested positive since I got my first shot (Wednesday). 3 of the 4 engage closely numerous times a day. The 4th is a baseball dad whose kid has been playing in tournaments. He got his shot a day before me. His whole family tested positive. Maybe more appropriate for the other thread, but I’m not really sure how I feel about this. I’ve been taking my temps since day 2 post-shot (Friday) and have seen everything from 97.6 to 100.1. Day 2 had a cough, but that has tapered. No other symptoms, but the temp thing is annoying me, so I’ll be going to get a test tomorrow.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 04-11-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chin up.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Story about the gent who founded the website Vaccine Spotter and a link to the site for those who are seeking an appointment.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/us/va...ent/index.html

https://www.vaccinespotter.org/PA/?zip=15215&radius=10
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    You might be able to save yourself a drive: the vaccination event they are doing at the Dome is doing second shots. Got my first shot in Cape Girardeau, then was able to get my second shot Friday at the Dome, saving 4 hours in the car. Really well run by the Navy. At some point that site is going to switch from Pfizer to J&J, so it may happen before your three weeks are up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benkiel View Post
    You might be able to save yourself a drive: the vaccination event they are doing at the Dome is doing second shots. Got my first shot in Cape Girardeau, then was able to get my second shot Friday at the Dome, saving 4 hours in the car. Really well run by the Navy. At some point that site is going to switch from Pfizer to J&J, so it may happen before your three weeks are up.
    Thanks for the Head's Up. How does someone register for those? I assume it's somewhere on the web.

(My single biggest complaint about the whole vaccination thing is that there is no one central web-based site for all (or even just most) vaccination activities in a given area.)

Edit: Cape - that was quite a drive for you. At work there are lots of stories about people driving all over the place to get theirs.