User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 32 of 94 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    yup. just proves that until kids can stop getting/spreading, and parents who are on the brink of a childcare crisis can return to reliable schooldays, we're not close to a return to normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Those of you who've been (or are getting vaccinated) but also have young children, what are your thoughts on "returning to normal" before kids are vaccinated?
    My wife and I have both had two jabs, our kids are recently back in school full time masked (substantially all teachers/staff vaxxed). But there are drumbeats for me to get back to traveling (I'm in real estate), and I do worry about bringing something back from my travels unintentionally.
    I'm just confused about how normal things can actually be if the parents are vaccinated and the kids are not. I know the numbers and the statistical probabilities. We have several friends with kids who have tested positive (meaning the kids tested positive and brought the virus home with them,) resulting in the quarantine of the whole family. In two families, everyone got sick and in one only the kid showed any symptoms. Two kids are 10 and the other kid is 16. Everyone recovered but it wasn't fun. But kids do get covid.
    My wife is getting her second shot today. My second is tomorrow. Our son is now the last kid in his class who is still virtual and we are going to put him back in class in person in a couple weeks when we've hit the time period for the vaccine to be optimally protective. His school has been pretty good with transmission and he's only 4 (soon 5), so in a very low risk group and masks and distancing are still enforced at school. There have been no cases in his age group at the school. I'm the last in my family to be vaccinated and while I do still fear the variants, my concern is starting to switch to the implications of the kid being isolated from peers for so long. Collectively as a family we're willing to take the calculated risk but all other aspects of our life will remain very cautious. We'll only gather indoors with family who are also still being careful, we'll still avoid dining out and will still wear masks in public.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just heard Salesforce is allowing workers back to their SF downtown office tower, with proof of vaccination. My own agency has taken the stance that vaccination is a personal choice and the agency has no right to ask you about it, and they will not be requiring any proof. So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally, I like Salesforce's approach better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I just heard Salesforce is allowing workers back to their SF downtown office tower, with proof of vaccination. My own agency has taken the stance that vaccination is a personal choice and the agency has no right to ask you about it, and they will not be requiring any proof. So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally, I like Salesforce's approach better.

Yeah, I heard the local restaurant near your office has decided that washing hands is a personal choice and they have no right to ask staff if they have hepatitis. Please direct your company CEO there for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the exception of four weeks, our school district has remained open for the entire pandemic with a hybrid/alternate day attendance by name and virtual attendance on Wednesdays, as the buildings were closed for deep cleaning. No issues to report of. With one kid left in college, he received his first jab two weeks ago and his second is scheduled for next week and the school (The Ohio State University) is pushing very hard, as well as making it very easy for kids to be vaccinated through the Ohio State Medical Center before the end of the semester. in his circle of friends both at Ohio State and at a number of other schools, an overwhelming majority tested positive at some point and we are truly surprised that he hasn't. He has also been tested 24 freakin' times since August 2020 and Ohio State has ramped up the testing for students to 2 x week for the balance of the semester, 1 x week if you've been vaccinated.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Those of you who've been (or are getting vaccinated) but also have young children, what are your thoughts on "returning to normal" before kids are vaccinated?
    My wife and I have both had two jabs, our kids are recently back in school full time masked (substantially all teachers/staff vaxxed). But there are drumbeats for me to get back to traveling (I'm in real estate), and I do worry about bringing something back from my travels unintentionally.
    This is a tough question.

It's tough enough for someone like me who's child is 27 (and got her first vax last week!) We're actively working on figuring out how our pod (three 60-ish parents and three mid-to-late 20s offspring) are going to begin re-engaging with the world. The question came up between me & my wife last week when we learned (vaccinated) friends are planning to visit Boston in early June. Would we go to a restaurant with them? Here's where we landed:

Once vaccines are available to every adult, and two weeks has passed since every qualified adult has had an opportunity to get vaccinated, we will be comfortable re-entering the world. We will be protecting others, and everyone who chooses will be protecting themselves. Those who have decided to not protect themselves? We will no longer be responsible for their protection.

Now adding children to this equation is a whole other layer of complexity. I will admit that we're only beginning to think this part through and, so far, only as it relates to inviting some beloved youngsters to our kid's wedding. Oh and as far as my wife's career providing nursing care to a school full of children. Although in some ways that's easier - she will continue to take full COVID precautions when she's working. My guess is that will be the case not only through this school year, but also in fall.

So I'm very interested in what you younger parents are thinking.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sh!T Happens

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/u...s-fda-cdc.html

I got the Moderna or whatever it’s called. Waiting......
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sh!T Happens

9/11 of published cases of AZ vaccine induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia were female (from the recent NEJM article).

Apparently all of the J&J thrombosis cases were women.

Risk of this complication appears to be gender related. Perhaps we should adjust vaccine distribution accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    U.S. Calls for Pause on Johnson & Johnson Vaccine After Rare Clotting Cases

That's the one my wife and I got. Given that clotting is a risk of my cardiac arrhythmia, and my wife has had a pulmonary embolism, this is of concern. Excuse me while I go get a baby aspirin.

PS If this virus is allowed to transmit among younger-aged populations, it it simply a matter of time before a variant develops that is more dangerous and deadly to them?
    Last edited by thollandpe; 04-13-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/u...s-fda-cdc.html

ugh - and just got the J&J vaccine yesterday. Hopefully extremely rare means just that. For some annecdata, so far, almost 24 hours later, no significant side effects from J&J. Maybe some very slight general muscle soreness, maybe? Hard to tell.

In comparison, my wife who is a healthcare worker and got Covid in January, was sick and in bed for 1.5 days following both the first and second doses of the Moderna vaccine.

Probably only goes to show that reactions can vary wildly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 out of 7 million doses given is what I read. And all 6 were women. One woman died and one woman is hospitalized in serious condition. Clotting occurred ~2 weeks after vaccine. No case details about possible contributing factors. The type of clotting condition involved is itself very rare.

One thing I didn’t consider but was suggested by a friend of ours is that some people coming in to get vaccines have not actually had a regular doctor’s appointment in years. That’s based on her observations in her community in Maine. Who knows what undiagnosed issues there are in 7 million people?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

PS If this virus is allowed to transmit among younger-aged populations, it it simply a matter of time before a variant develops that is more dangerous and deadly to them?
    Sort of. It’s a matter of chance, but with coronavirus’ fast mutation we always knew it might mutate faster than we could catch up with. It’s why we don’t have a cure for the common cold. Now, more deadly might not help the virus spread. I think it’s worth remembering that this virus is worldwide pandemic bad because it doesn’t kill everyone, and may not even make some feel sick. OG SARS and MERS were way more deadly and it kind of helped containment because carriers were noticeably sick or dead. The variants we have are nearly the perfect balance for spreading and killing for maximum impact.

As for the single shot clotting issues... hopefully this can allow more data to be pulled. It seems like young, female, and healthy is a common trait for clotting issues. Especially when coupled with the labs (clotting was happening while platelet counts crashed) likely means autoimmune reaction. I’m going to go out on a limb here and figure “young”, “female”, and “healthy” is not our demographic...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think about this logically, the blood clot issue is a non-issue. If you contract COVID, you will have a higher risk of blood clot than getting the vaccine.

Is JNJ blood clot risk 4 out of 1,000,000 = .0004%

Birth Control Pills are 500-1200 cases in 1,000,000 or 0.05%-0.12%

Smoking is approx 1800 out of 1,000,000 or 0.18%

The data I have seen for COViD infections producing blood clots is higher, but I cannot verify it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0690-4
    As for mutations gaining function- article from Nature, it's complicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you think about this logically, the blood clot issue is a non-issue. If you contract COVID, you will have a higher risk of blood clot than getting the vaccine.

Is JNJ blood clot risk 4 out of 1,000,000 = .0004%

Birth Control Pills are 500-1200 cases in 1,000,000 or 0.05%-0.12%

Smoking is approx 1800 out of 1,000,000 or 0.18%

The data I have seen for COViD infections producing blood clots is higher, but I cannot verify it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0690-4
    As for mutations gaining function- article from Nature, it's complicated.
    You can't compare those numbers because the type of clots are very different.
    OC's and smoking are associated with venous thromboses.
    The clotting issue with the vaccines is more generalized, involves clots in deadlier places and is more likely to kill people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vaccines are now readily available where I live, Santa Barbara CA. I received my second a month ago at the drive in clinic, super smooth process.

Cottage Health announced they have 10,000 Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination appointments available this week for their drive-up clinics. Everyone age 16 and over is eligible to receive the Pfizer vaccine and those aged 16 and 17 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to provide consent at the clinic
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 out of 7 million doses given is what I read. And all 6 were women. One woman died and one woman is hospitalized in serious condition. Clotting occurred ~2 weeks after vaccine. No case details about possible contributing factors. The type of clotting condition involved is itself very rare.

One thing I didn’t consider but was suggested by a friend of ours is that some people coming in to get vaccines have not actually had a regular doctor’s appointment in years. That’s based on her observations in her community in Maine. Who knows what undiagnosed issues there are in 7 million people?
    Having both of us got the J&J on Saturday, The Boss here has suggested she would not be surprised if there's some connection with a reaction to hormonal birth control. I'm not going to lose sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The New York Times wrote a front-page alarmist article, saying the J&J risk of blood clotting is great cause for concern, even though the data are that the risk of clots is 1 in a million. There have been six cases in 7,000,000 people:

"Injections of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose coronavirus vaccine came to a sudden halt in much of the United States on Tuesday after federal health agencies called for a pause in the vaccine’s use following the emergence of a rare blood clotting in six recipients within one to three weeks of vaccination. The virus is also surging in some parts of the U.S."

But just three days ago, NYT breezily dismissed the risk of blood clotting for the AstraZenica vaccine in this article, where the data show a risk of 1 in 100,000:

"In rare cases, an immune reaction has led to antibodies that caused a serious clotting disorder. But public health experts maintain the vaccine’s benefits far outweigh the risks for most people."

Gotta love those guys. Sometimes I think the real disease is poor journalism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be naïve, but I assumed when I got my vax that the chance of serious complications from the vaccine were higher than one in one million. Much better than the 1 in 100 chance of dying from the virus. I am surprised there is a pause on J&J due to this, but I'm not a scientist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    Gotta love those guys. Sometimes I think the real disease is poor journalism.
    x9999