User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 33 of 94 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sh!T Happens

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you think about this logically, the blood clot issue is a non-issue. If you contract COVID, you will have a higher risk of blood clot than getting the vaccine.

Is JNJ blood clot risk 4 out of 1,000,000 = .0004%

Birth Control Pills are 500-1200 cases in 1,000,000 or 0.05%-0.12%

Smoking is approx 1800 out of 1,000,000 or 0.18%

The data I have seen for COViD infections producing blood clots is higher, but I cannot verify it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0690-4
    As for mutations gaining function- article from Nature, it's complicated.
    ....and only appears in young(er) women.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Vertical Doug said. Logarithmically greater chance of getting hit by lightning (or some random unfortunate fatal event - say, a mall shooting, getting killed on your next ride by a texting teenager) than getting TTP or cavernous sinus thrombosis from JNJ vaccine. Unfortunate that we'll waste a few weeks in the vaccine campaign and that this will give undue voice to the tinfoil hats. I'm already Moderna'd, but I'd take JNJ tomorrow without a second thought if I weren't.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I absofuckinglutely hate the pullback of the J&J vaccine. Fear sells and now the folks opposed to the vaccine have more fodder. In other news.....
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd shot- Be careful with edibles!

Long story
    Shot #1 .) Went well. No issues except sore arm after injection, and itchy arm after 10 days.
    Shot #2 .) Only sore arm right after. But then 3 days later... Major flu like symptoms. Projectile Vomiting followed by the same from the other end like 3 times.
    Day after that I felt ok but chilled out and did little.
    Day after that- Woke up feeling really off. I took about 10mg of THC edibles before going to bed, and when I woke up I felt totally high. This has never happened to me before. Every time I have ever taken THC regardless of dose I am tip top Magoo by the next day.
    I tried to play it off and go on with my day- Went for a walk and grabbed a cup of coffee along the way. When I got home I realized this wasn't working so I went back to bed. Slept for 3 more hours.
    Woke up and I was no longer high, so I did a bit of strength training, ate breakfast, and eventually went for a ride. No juice in the legs on the ride. I need more time.

The moral of the story is that you can have issues more than a day or two after the 2nd shot. 2nd moral is to give up the edibles for a while!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post

Long story
    Shot #1 .) Went well. No issues except sore arm after injection, and itchy arm after 10 days.
    Shot #2 .) Only sore arm right after. But then 3 days later... Major flu like symptoms. Projectile Vomiting followed by the same from the other end like 3 times.
    Day after that- Woke up feeling really off. I took about 10mg of THC edibles before going to bed, and when I woke up I felt totally high. This has never happened to me before. Every time I have ever taken THC regardless of dose I am tip top Magoo by the next day.
    I tried to play it off and go on with my day- Went for a walk and grabbed a cup of coffee along the way. When I got home I realized this wasn't working so I went back to bed. Slept for 3 more hours.
    Woke up and I was no longer high, so I did a bit of strength training, ate breakfast, and eventually went for a ride. No juice in the legs on the ride. I need more time.

The moral of the story is that you can have issues more than a day or two after the 2nd shot. 2nd moral is to give up the edibles for a while!
    Which brand of vaccine?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I absofuckinglutely hate the pullback of the J&J vaccine. Fear sells and now the folks opposed to the vaccine have more fodder. In other news.....
    The U.S. is haunted by the failed roll-out of the first operation warp speed vaccine rolled out under Gerald Ford. There were a few unexplained heart attacks but arguably the anti-vax movement was born. There's another explanation in that the first rule of medicine is to first do no harm so a temporary pause where they look for risk factors that may have contributed or were the true actual cause probably makes sense. Best I can tell is anyone that was scheduled for JNJ will now get Pfizer instead. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whew, thankfully feeling better this morning!

Wife and I got the J&J on Monday and it has been a rough, rough 36 hours for both of us. Low grade fevers, serious body aches and chills. Nauseous all day. Definitely felt like a bad case of the flu. Cautiously optimistic, but feeling better this morning.

My uneducated feeling is that this hits smaller people harder. I weigh a whopping 130# and my wife quite a few lbs less, so my casual observation is people with smaller bodies have more trouble with symptoms, but i cant substantiate that.

Anyway, happy to just be done. We will drink some red wine for good measure and continued heart health!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Wife and I got the J&J on Monday and it has been a rough, rough 36 hours for both of us. Low grade fevers, serious body aches and chills. Nauseous all day. Definitely felt like a bad case of the flu. Cautiously optimistic, but feeling better this morning.

My uneducated feeling is that this hits smaller people harder. I weigh a whopping 130# and my wife quite a few lbs less, so my casual observation is people with smaller bodies have more trouble with symptoms, but i cant substantiate that.

Anyway, happy to just be done. We will drink some red wine for good measure and continued heart health!
    Women on average also may have stronger reactions to second and J&J vaccinations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post

Long story

Ugh. I got my second Moderna shot yesterday and I'm feeling generally fine today. Hopefully I don't get walloped in a couple days like you did.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was taking an Uber from O’Hare to a worksite two weeks ago and in talking with the driver, I inquired if she had been vaccinated, or had plans to be. She responded that she had no interest as she never got sick, she didn’t trust the government in rolling out a vaccine so quickly and that her grandmother said, “if J&J couldn’t baby powder right, how do you expect them to get the vaccine right?” I kid you not.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I was taking an Uber from O’Hare to a worksite two weeks ago and in talking with the driver, I inquired if she had been vaccinated, or had plans to be. She responded that she had no interest as she never got sick, she didn’t trust the government in rolling out a vaccine so quickly and that her grandmother said, “if J&J couldn’t baby powder right, how do you expect them to get the vaccine right?” I kid you not.
    I mean, how can you argue with that iron-clad logic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, this characterization is valid for a large segment of the population. Too many people feel that American "rights" and "independence" mean that their unfounded opinion is equal to your science-based logic. I'm at a loss when it comes to how to engage these people in meaningful dialog. I simply let it go (typically with a smile and head nod) when I hear this from strangers. It's very troubling when these opinions come from friends, co-workers, and family members.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Ugh. I got my second Moderna shot yesterday and I'm feeling generally fine today. Hopefully I don't get walloped in a couple days like you did.
    Spoke too soon...feeling a bit wonky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Spoke too soon...feeling a bit wonky.
    You’ll be over it in a day, Matt and then the switch comes back on...head straight to the sofa and watch highlights of the 2019 TdF.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fog

Got the second Pfizer yesterday at 3pm.
    Woke up this morning felt OK.
    Wife hands me a smoothie. Didn’t ever hear the roar of the loudest blender on the planet.
    She tells me she hopes they finish the roadwork outside of our building today.
    I look out and 3 jackhammers tearing up the street. Didn’t notice a thing.
    Yowza, I’m staying home today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’ll be over it in a day, Matt and then the switch comes back on...head straight to the sofa and watch highlights of the 2019 TdF.
    That was a good vintage. I may also watch cartoons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You’ll be over it in a day, Matt and then the switch comes back on...head straight to the sofa and watch highlights of the 1990 Worlds.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Neighbor had the JnJ and felt like hell for 24 hours: flu, night sweats etc. He's pushing 200 lbs. Better after a day.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You’ll be over it in a day, Matt and then the switch comes back on...head straight to the sofa and watch highlights of the 1989 Worlds.

Even better.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderna #2 completed 64 minutes ago. Raves at my place!
    La Cheeserie!