User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

After yesterday's 2nd Pfizer shot my wife just asked me to bring her tea in a smaller cup because the regular mug was too heavy to lift. It will be a rough day or three for her. She likely (it was impossible to get tested, then testing wasn't reliable/didn't matter) had Covid back in January 2020 that lasted with low level symptoms for nearly a year. I had zero effects from my first Moderna, second one coming in a few days, crossing fingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yes, she is fine. Already done pilates and now taking her French lessons. She says she is at 80% but that's 110% for most humans.
    Soon after I wrote this, she went to bed for 24 hours. Delayed reaction I guess. But she’s right as rain now. I’m getting some periodic narcolepsy, rectified by a 30 minute nap. But it takes me a while to figure out what is going on. Meanwhile I shouldn’t be operating power tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Onion posted earlier that bass players will be eligible for vaccines starting in 2036.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an article in the NYT yesterday about the many people who are skipping the second dose of the vaccine. This made me wonder about the effects of skipping. It makes a person more susceptible to infection of course. Since the immune response is weaker, does it also kill the weak COVID strains and leave the stronger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    2nd dose yesterday.

I feel like i went to the gym for the first time ever and then attended a frat party afterward.
    That's a great way of describing exactly how I felt after my 2nd shot!
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my 2nd Pfizer dose on Tuesday. Was even less of a deal than the first. My arm was a bit sore Tuesday evening and Wednesday, and maybe a teeny bit sore today still, but other than that, no significant issues that I've noticed. And as for the first dose, I was in and out of there in less than 20 minutes, 15 of which were sitting in the YMCA gym reading.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get my sister and mother (who are down in Haiti) vaccinated...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received my second dose a couple weeks ago. Day one was okay, but day two was like being stunt double in an old Jerry Lewis movie. I just noticed through my Instagram feed that a local restaurant is Has a 100 Doses of Pfizer for first come, first served. Man...times have definitely changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had kind of a sine wave thing going on since #2 . Energetic day, no energy day. That's waned slowly. Feeling more consistently myself. Weird.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    The Onion posted earlier that bass players will be eligible for vaccines starting in 2036.

This will mildly annoy my younger brother. I am going to send it to him first thing tomorrow morning. Tee hee hee...Shhh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With poll results of 86% yes, I'd have to say velocipedesalon is not representative of the general population. After looking at CDC data and having conversations with some of the people opting out, I'd be surprised if we get much north of 50% fully vaccinated for those over 16 years of age(Some NYC area counties may get closer to 60% eventually) Very disappointing -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right so that should tell you that vaccine policy should not be based on herd immunity as it isn’t achievable with any sort of efficiency.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    This will mildly annoy my younger brother. I am going to send it to him first thing tomorrow morning. Tee hee hee...Shhh
    My oldest son...a guitar player...always teased his younger brother...a drummer and keyboard player...with this joke. “What did the drummer get on his SAT’s...drool.”
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    With poll results of 86% yes, I'd have to say velocipedesalon is not representative of the general population. After looking at CDC data and having conversations with some of the people opting out, I'd be surprised if we get much north of 50% fully vaccinated for those over 16 years of age(Some NYC area counties may get closer to 60% eventually) Very disappointing -Mike G
    LA County which is not representative (West Coast!) of VS will likely reach 86%. There's great enthusiasm for the vaccines here. Based on the numbers published by the LA Co Health Dept only one city in the County, La Habra Heights, reports vaccination rates below 50% (for those currently eligible). My sister who lives in the neighboring town claims the Low Vaxx City is known as a Cop and Firefighter Enclave.

Over 65 vaccination rates:
    lahabra.jpeg
    (Malibu, surprisingly low rates...Health Vibes Effect?)

La Habra Heights, the only city in LA County to go entirely for Trump
    lahabra2.jpg
    lahabra3.jpg

lahabra4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've been somewhat concerned about my 2nd Moderna shot, given that I tested positive 5 days after round 1. Spoke with a friend of mine who's a Dr at Baylor Scott & White. I guess I was the first covid-positive-post-shot case he had encountered. He called up his head infectious disease doc and it was advised that I wait 6wks after the onset of the symptoms, in order to keep my immune system from going batty. It's amazing how paranoid I've become about pretty much everything since testing positive.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    There's no ability to update votes though.. if there were, I think our results would be higher here now that more is known about the risks and efficacy of the vaccine.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right so that should tell you that vaccine policy should not be based on herd immunity as it isn’t achievable with any sort of efficiency.
    Get my 2nd Pfizer this afternoon.. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm on a bike this weekend. I took most of the week off from vigorous activity trying to get my body in as good a state as possible before it takes on the new challenge - a taper week, if you will.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    So I've been somewhat concerned about my 2nd Moderna shot, given that I tested positive 5 days after round 1. Spoke with a friend of mine who's a Dr at Baylor Scott & White. I guess I was the first covid-positive-post-shot case he had encountered. He called up his head infectious disease doc and it was advised that I wait 6wks after the onset of the symptoms, in order to keep my immune system from going batty. It's amazing how paranoid I've become about pretty much everything since testing positive.
    The CDC has changed advisement on this. Originally they said wait 90 days. Now they are saying asap after recovery, especially for second shot. The immunities you get from the vaccine are more consistently protective than the immunities you get from infection. See this article and check the CDC site:

https://khn.org/news/article/the-sho...ng-vaccinated/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CDC has changed advisement on this. Originally they said wait 90 days. Now they are saying asap after recovery, especially for second shot. The immunities you get from the vaccine are more consistently protective than the immunities you get from infection. See this article and check the CDC site:

https://khn.org/news/article/the-sho...ng-vaccinated/
    Isn't he describing a type of breakthrough infection? Obviously not a true breakthrough infection as he's not fully vaccinated but likely infected after having some immunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Get my 2nd Pfizer this afternoon.. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm on a bike this weekend. I took most of the week off from vigorous activity trying to get my body in as good a state as possible before it takes on the new challenge - a taper week, if you will.
    I have done the same, though not by choice: had a really bad reaction to something I ate that put me out of commission for the better part of two days.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Isn't he describing a type of breakthrough infection? Obviously not a true breakthrough infection as he's not fully vaccinated but likely infected after having some immunity.
    I think that's what the article is about, yes. Or are you talking about Dustin? Breakthrough is when you are fully vaccinated and done with the period afterwards so resulting immunities are presumably at full strength. That's not what Dustin had. His positive test came 5 days after his first vaccine, so he could have been infected before his vaccination. At any rate, as I understand the maturation of immunities post-vaccine, 5 days isn't enough to gain any real protection.

Originally the CDC said that you get about 90 days of immunity from infection antibodies after you've gotten covid-19. So their advice was to reschedule your second vaccine for after those 90 days so you were sure that you did not develop lingering symptoms or other complications. That's how I understand the rationale. Now however the CDC is saying that you should go ahead and get the second vaccine as soon as you are completely recovered from covid-19. Again, as I understand it, this is because the immunities conveyed by the vaccine are more comprehensive & longer lasting that those gained through infection. Why that would be I don't know.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books