User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 39 of 94 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Thursday will be two weeks post second shot of Moderna. Only notable side effect was soreness in the arm. As of Saturday morning our entire family is now fully vaccinated. 100K gravel ride this weekend, hunt test, summer almost here, things are looking up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three of us got our second Moderna shot yesterday. My son (19) was totally unaffected. My wife and I had very sore arms during the day. Then last night both of us woke up with fever and chills. It would have been terrifying for us if we weren't prepared for it. I had been off the bike for the previous two days, but this morning whoop gave me a 1% recovery for 8 hours of sleep! Two more weeks and all four of us here will be fully vaccinated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wish the messages were clearer from the government. CDC says vaccinated folks can go mask-free except in certain public transportation situations and air travel. OSHA still requires companies to report Covid 19 illnesses transmitted in the workplace to be reported. Even if the employer follows the OSHA guidelines to minimize spread such as moving workers apart, PPE, increased ventilation, and air exchange, the employer can still be liable if a transmission is traced to the workplace. This isn't done for other illnesses such as the flu. Companies are left with very few options other than keeping their employees in masks. My employer is considering letting fully vaccinated workers work without masks, but fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get Covid, it likely means a very mild case or asymptomatic. IMO, OSHA needs to drop the special Covid reporting criteria and treat it like any other illness. I'm in Arizona and it's getting hot, another summer with masks because of unclear guidance would suck.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My employer is considering letting fully vaccinated workers work without masks, but fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get Covid, it likely means a very mild case or asymptomatic. IMO, OSHA needs to drop the special Covid reporting criteria and treat it like any other illness. I'm in Arizona and it's getting hot, another summer with masks because of unclear guidance would suck.
    The report of 8 infections of vaccinated individuals in the Yankees' organization is troubling. Conversely, I can't find another documented instance of a cluster of reinfections in a group of previously infected persons. There's speculation that reinfection could have been common in populations with high seroprevalence, ie, Manaus and India, but the data are still being analyzed. In any case, the hospitalization and fatality rates for breakthrough infections in the US are as high or higher than case rates throughout the Pandemic:

The C.D.C. said that as of April 26, of the more than 95 million people in the United States who had been fully vaccinated, it knew of 9,245 breakthrough infections. Of those, there were 835 hospitalizations and 132 deaths.

Breakthrough Infection Hospitalization rate: 9%. Breakthrough Infection CFR: 1.4%
    US Pandemic Hospitalization rate: 6.6% US Pandemic CFR: 1.8%

The numbers above seem to indicate that if you get infected with Covid-19 whether you're vaccinated (breakthrough) or not you'll have the same outcome. Of course, the hope is that the vaccine really will reduce infection rates by 90%.

Anyway, not questioning the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines and this is not an anti-vaxx angle or perspective, I just want my kid to be able to start K in the Fall without any overwrought restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    The report of 8 infections of vaccinated individuals in the Yankees' organization is troubling. Conversely, I can't find another documented instance of a cluster of reinfections in a group of previously infected persons. There's speculation that reinfection could have been common in populations with high seroprevalence, ie, Manaus and India, but the data are still being analyzed. In any case, the hospitalization and fatality rates for breakthrough infections in the US are as high or higher than case rates throughout the Pandemic:

The C.D.C. said that as of April 26, of the more than 95 million people in the United States who had been fully vaccinated, it knew of 9,245 breakthrough infections. Of those, there were 835 hospitalizations and 132 deaths.

Breakthrough Infection Hospitalization rate: 9%. Breakthrough Infection CFR: 1.4%
    US Pandemic Hospitalization rate: 6.6% US Pandemic CFR: 1.8%

The numbers above seem to indicate that if you get infected with Covid-19 whether you're vaccinated (breakthrough) or not you'll have the same outcome. Of course, the hope is that the vaccine really will reduce infection rates by 90%.

Anyway, not questioning the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines and this is not an anti-vaxx angle or perspective, I just want my kid to be able to start K in the Fall without any overwrought restrictions.
    How many breakthrough infections are never recognized. Bill Maher was fully vaccinated and tested positive as part of a protocol for a show. He never felt sick or symptomatic. If he hadn't been tested, would he have ever known? How many folks were asymptomatic during the height of the pandemic? My son attends the Naval Academy and was sick with Covid in January. Since then, he has had a full recovery and has received his vaccines. Masks are no longer required on campus. It will make for an interesting case study if pursued.

I carry a mask in town. If the business requires a mask, I will respect that and wear one. Otherwise, unless I'm at work, I'm not wearing one. I'm five weeks past my second Moderna.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    How many breakthrough infections are never recognized. Bill Maher was fully vaccinated and tested positive as part of a protocol for a show. He never felt sick or symptomatic. If he hadn't been tested, would he have ever known? How many folks were asymptomatic during the height of the pandemic? My son attends the Naval Academy and was sick with Covid in January. Since then, he has had a full recovery and has received his vaccines. Masks are no longer required on campus. It will make for an interesting case study if pursued.

I carry a mask in town. If the business requires a mask, I will respect that and wear one. Otherwise, unless I'm at work, I'm not wearing one. I'm five weeks past my second Moderna.
    I’ve wondered the same thing. Based on anecdotal reports from the world of sports, which I follow fairly closely, it would seem there are plenty of folks who have had this and never knew. A year ago when the world of sports was trying to figure out how to move forward it became clear that near universal and frequent testing of team staff and athletes was the only way forward. Many people were held out due to positive tests but were otherwise totally asymptotic, meaning they never would have known. How many others who weren’t subjected to frequent testing may have had similar cases that were undetected?

Back at the beginning of this thing a flight attendant friend of mine had what was later assumed to be COVID-19 though it was so early it was thought this wasn’t possible. This was before widespread testing. But she later did test positive for antibodies and donated plasma. During the time she had been sick and I was in contact with her I also had something though it was mild and caused me no particular concern because in my business in January getting a cough or a cold is totally normal. This was early January of 2020. Her case was in December of 2019 IIRC. End of January I traveled to Europe and shortly thereafter the shit hit the fan as we all know. My nephew traveled back from Europe in mid-February or early March and was actually tested positive. His case was mild, lasting 2-3 days though he was diligent about quarantining for the then-recommended 2 full weeks.

I’m also now a month or more out from my second Moderna shot.

I hope folks who haven’t had the opportunity or who have been reluctant to get the vaccine go ahead. It’s a no brainer to get it because it’s free to the recipient and the process now is so easy. It’s also the only way to beat this it would seem. I have yet to hear a single cogent argument against being vaccinated.

Curiously, I recently read an article about whether or not we will need boosters periodically or if one will be enough. It will be interesting to see this going forward.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 05-16-2021 at 05:09 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my 2nd Moderna shot at 8:00am last Sunday-No problems...until 11:00pm.

I woke up shivering so badly I had a hard time breathing! Instant (regular) flu-like feeling for the next 24 hours. Joints hurt, chills, headache, no appetite, etc.
    Then woke up, and instantly ok.

I was pretty disappointed, as I had not been sick at all for the past 2 years.

But, yes, glad I did it.

Hope all of you here stay happy & healthy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to claim the DailyMail is the paper of record, but if you want another reason to try to persaude the non-believers:

Vaccine race to beat Indian coronavirus variant after SAGE's dire 1,000 deaths a day warning: Huge queues form
    at pop-up jab centres as it emerges most Bolton patients hospitalised with virus are 'eligible for jab but have NOT had it'

Crowds in Greater Manchester town - which has the highest infection rate in the country - rushed to get jabs
    Vaccinations are now being made available to people aged 38 and over as well as the clinically vulnerable
    But local Tory councillor Andy Morgan caused chaos this afternoon when he posted an incorrect tweet
    He wrongly claimed that all over-18s in Bolton could get the jab, which the NHS then had to furiously deny

There is a genuine sense of urgency. Infection rates in Bolton have soared by more than 250 per cent in the past week, with the vast majority of cases in the under-30s.

There has also been a slight uptick in hospitalisations, including patients in their 50s and 60s who are not vaccinated but would have been eligible.

Local officials are desperate that neither cases nor admissions accelerate and are relying on a sense of community spirit to beat the surge. Rashad, 32, was also in the queue in Bolton yesterday.

'I'm not looking forward to this at all but it will be worth it to keep myself and my community safe,' he said. In the line beside him, another man said: 'The community leaders have been urging people at prayers to come and get their vaccine. We all have our part to play.'

Bolton Council leader David Greenhalgh said the majority of cases of coronavirus in the town involved people in their teens, 20s and 30s who are not yet eligible for a vaccination.

'Bolton craves normality as this town has been disproportionately affected by local lockdowns,' he said. 'I visited the vaccination site today and there were still queues long after closing time, with vaccinators working extra time to help everyone.

'Clearly the surge in Covid cases in Bolton is linked to international travel, there's no doubt about that.'

Boris Johnson announced on Friday that second jabs for those over 50 would be brought forward, but Mr Greenhalgh wants the Government to supply more doses to allow the town to vaccinate everyone. Uptake across the town is higher than 90 per cent but there are clusters in deprived areas such as Deane, Rumworth and Great Lever where it is far lower.

Dr Helen Wall, the clinician in charge of Bolton's vaccination drive, said: 'I don't think there is hesitancy as such, I think it's more about the barriers to vaccination.

'There are some really deprived areas where people don't all have cars, they might not have money for the bus, they might not want to get on the bus because they catch Covid. Maybe they've got several children they are looking after, elderly relatives, there's all sorts of reasons.'

Despite fears over the Indian variant, the Government is pressing ahead with the latest stage of its roadmap tomorrow. Bolton is more cautious, advising care homes not to proceed with the planned easing of restrictions yet.

Few people not in search of a vaccine ventured into Bolton town centre, but Jayne Cadman had braved the rain. 'The virus is a worry for people and the town isn't as busy as it usually is,' she said.

Shaking his head, Peter Worsley, 75, who was hospitalised for two weeks with Covid-19 over Christmas, said: 'I think Bolton's infection rate is down to the fact that the Government was very slow in closing our borders to international travel. If we had taken action sooner then perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation now.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-young.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you're vaccinated, don't get Covid-19 in LA Co. Higher hospitalization rate (7%) for breakthrough infections and similar CFR (1.3%) to Pandemic rates.

Among these fully vaccinated people, 933 people were identified who tested positive for a COVID-19 infection contracted more than two weeks after they were fully vaccinated. That means that about 0.03% of all vaccinated people tested positive for COVID-19. This includes people who were tested as a matter of routine requirement by their workplace, including asymptomatic people. Of fully vaccinated people, 71 of them, or 0.002%, were hospitalized for infections contracted while fully vaccinated. And 12 people died of their infections, or 0.00036% of vaccinated County residents.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phc....cfm?prid=3137

Funny how the Health Department is starting to sound like those kooks who shout that only 0.0001% of US children have died from Covid-19.

But to paraphrase flashunc, natural immunity from infection is a helluva thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I have now had both jabs of Oxford/AstraZeneca, so I have voted accordingly. There's an account of it here. Note that I'm in the UK. Also the coronahair, which has since gotten even longer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    My wife and I have now had both jabs of Oxford/AstraZeneca, so I have voted accordingly. Note that I'm in the UK. Also the coronahair, which has since gotten even longer...
    I'm six weeks past my second Moderna dose. Last Thursday I got my coronahair cut, it was very liberating. My barber didn't recognize me after ten months. My wife got the J&J because she hates needles. It wasn't available to me when I got my first Moderna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you're vaccinated, don't get Covid-19 in LA Co. Higher hospitalization rate (7%) for breakthrough infections and similar CFR (1.3%) to Pandemic rates.

Among these fully vaccinated people, 933 people were identified who tested positive for a COVID-19 infection contracted more than two weeks after they were fully vaccinated. That means that about 0.03% of all vaccinated people tested positive for COVID-19. This includes people who were tested as a matter of routine requirement by their workplace, including asymptomatic people. Of fully vaccinated people, 71 of them, or 0.002%, were hospitalized for infections contracted while fully vaccinated. And 12 people died of their infections, or 0.00036% of vaccinated County residents.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phc....cfm?prid=3137

Funny how the Health Department is starting to sound like those kooks who shout that only 0.0001% of US children have died from Covid-19.

But to paraphrase flashunc, natural immunity from infection is a helluva thing.
    My near 80 year old mom received her 2nd Pfizer vaccine in April. Friday she informed me that she's tested positive. Complains of a sore throat. Still I think she's lucky. Would be far worse if she never received her shots .She hasn't been very good about social distancing etc -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    My near 80 year old mom received her 2nd Pfizer vaccine in April. Friday she informed me that she's tested positive. Complains of a sore throat. Still I think she's lucky. Would be far worse if she never received her shots .She hasn't been very good about social distancing etc -Mike G
    Guessing she lives at home, independently. I've yet to hear of widespread fatalities in elderly individuals who weren't in group settings. My wife's grandparents (85 and 80) had mild cases in January. Neither resides in a long term care facility or nursing home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guessing she lives at home, independently. I've yet to hear of widespread fatalities in elderly individuals who weren't in group settings. My wife's grandparents (85 and 80) had mild cases in January. Neither resides in a long term care facility or nursing home.
    It's a mild case due to the vaccination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    It's a mild case due to the vaccination.
    That's one factor, possibly the most important. But the emerging research in airborne/aerosol transmission highlights the connection between "virus rich environments" and severity of disease. The numbers in LA Co (and nationwide, actually) are not confidence inspiring. Fully vaccinated individuals with breakthrough infections have similar or worse outcomes than non vaccinated persons. Full transparency on where and how these infections are occurring is critical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of today everyone here fully vaccinated. Also, everyone in the neighborhood we associate with also now fully vaccinated, since everyone we know got it on the first or second day it was available here.

Also today we took over care for a pair of 11 week old rescue puppies for the next few weeks. So, we held a fully-vaccinated puppy party for my daughter's teenage friends. One of my daughter's friends started to cry for joy the minute she joined the party. This was a good thing for all involved.

I guarantee a large segment of the non-vaccinated population could be easily incentivized to get the vaccine if we offered them unlimited vaccine-mandatory puppy parties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got round #2 of Moderna. 7.5 weeks post onset of symptoms. We'll see how this goes.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Just got round #2 of Moderna. 7.5 weeks post onset of symptoms. We'll see how this goes.
    Second Moderna hit me on the day after. A nap made it better. The next morning, I felt better than I had in months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I spent the weekend in the Reno area. We did a drive around Lake Tahoe and saw the full range of masks/PPE. On the California side, we saw folks riding bikes, driving alone, and hiking while wearing masks. The Nevada businesses had signs saying masks weren't required if you're vaccinated. California required masks unless you're seated at a table. Both states didn't seem to have restrictions on occupancy inside restaurants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped by a convenience store yesterday to buy ice for a cookout...sign on the door required masks to enter. Went back to the car, donned the mask, entered the store to pay for the ice and the clerk was maskless.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.