User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 9 of 94 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's all good.

Good luck with that.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone with authority care to weigh in on "condition of employment" or parallels with mandatory vaccination schedules for public schools?

Yah know where I'm going with this....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry toots... I haven’t been following so I don’t know exactly where you’re going. But if you (or anyone) has questions regarding public schools and all the trappings around that, there’s one person left between me and an elected official in public Ed, so I can speak with some authority. At least for California. Whatcha wanna know?

ldamelio is online now emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderna EUA approved last night! Looking forward to getting my front line people vaccinated, looks like we will be able to start around Wednesday. It's been difficult to manage - literally next to no meaningful information from either feds or state government to help guide planning. I get most of my info from the WSJ.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Sorry toots... I haven’t been following so I don’t know exactly where you’re going. But if you (or anyone) has questions regarding public schools and all the trappings around that, there’s one person left between me and an elected official in public Ed, so I can speak with some authority. At least for California. Whatcha wanna know?
    This might be something you can answer. For new hires and existing school employees would a new term of employment that specifically requires (insert list of common vaccinations including COVID19) be legal and or feasible? Second, can and will public schools require students to provide proof of same schedule vaccines as a condition of full unrestricted in person attendance?

Some background here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-man...tate-reqs.html
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-19-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. You can be required to be vaccinated as a condition of employment. Good read below.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...estyle-choices
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, yeah. We can, and will require vaccination of all faculty and staff. It will not require a new contract. Even further, county and state council have been confident that we can require testing (which we had always done for tuberculosis) and furthermore are able to ask questions about travel and make work-return plans based on what folks are doing. We have had some pushback here... but nothing formal.

Student vaccines will be required, but I think there’s going to be issues. Not as much because of refusals but because we are still a long ways away from pediatric trials and approvals. So it seems likely that all our workers and admin will be vaccinated by next fall but maybe only some of our high school students. I think parents not wanting their kids to attend and teachers not wanting to be in classrooms until students are vaccinated is going to cause some friction, and may again require creation of “side-letters” to our collective bargaining agreements to cover various situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    They think the temperature difference is due to the differences in the delivery molecule (solid lipid nanoparticle) used to coat the mRNA strand. Moderna's is coating seems to be most robust and doesn't need to be as cold as pfizers. ( MRNA-1273 from Moderna, and BNT162b2 from BioNTech/Pfizer)

You can think of the lipid like the coating on your M&M chocolate. The chocolate inside is the mRNA, the coating is the lipid. You want it to melt in your mouth not in your hand. :)
    And the volume required difference is just that different medications require different amounts and concentrations - often you will have 2 drugs that appear similar and treat the same condition but one will be 2% and one will be 0.05%, or one will be a bigger tablet - it doesn’t mean anything other than they are different.

Had my (Pfizer) vaccination last week - felt a bit crummy the next evening for a few hours but nothing after that. Back in a few weeks for my second dose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Moderna EUA approved last night! Looking forward to getting my front line people vaccinated, looks like we will be able to start around Wednesday. It's been difficult to manage - literally next to no meaningful information from either feds or state government to help guide planning. I get most of my info from the WSJ.
    It appears there is zero information available on how/when the vaccine is distributed, who gets what where, or even who to contact regarding this. Unfortunately due to this lack of oversight/transparency, shortage of vaccine for the vast number of needed doses, and logistics of distribution it may be a year before those that want vaccinations can have them.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In CA there has been a lot of transparency from the state about how the plan is being formed... but it can be hard to find. Here’s the main site: https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/

But the interesting stuff is in the advisory committee meeting agendas and minutes: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...ommittee.aspx/

Remember that the feds are just sending counts to states and the states make the plan. And then it’s up to the individual sites to make their plans (with the recent Stanford hospital gaffe showing how to do it wrong).

I respect that it’s frustratingly bureaucratic—it is difficult to make decisions like “do we prioritize reducing deaths or do we prioritize reducing spread?” and making sure that folks aren’t left off the list just because they don’t have a voice at the table. But it’s moving, and all of it in public session.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Anyone with authority care to weigh in on "condition of employment" or parallels with mandatory vaccination schedules for public schools?

Yah know where I'm going with this....
    Our company legal team has determined that we cannot require the shot as a condition of employment. I don't know that it matters that much in a work environment, we're all going to be distancing and wearing masks well into next year. We've had 78 cases out of 450 employees, and only six of those were traced to transmission at work. People away from the job can always gather in large groups in a small place with no PPE and the company can't do a thing about it. We're starting to see more cases of the flu, but not as many as last year, maybe that's the win for 2020.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there are major institutions making decision like this. Fortunately it seems they’ve owned up to their mistake. As someone who’s spent 100+ hour weeks in a training institution that didn’t put in resident call rooms, it doesn’t surprise me at all.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-medical-resid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    In CA there has been a lot of transparency from the state about how the plan is being formed...
    Same here in KY. The distribution of their allotments has been left entirely up to states, I believe.

ldamelio is online now emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    Then there are major institutions making decision like this. Fortunately it seems they’ve owned up to their mistake. As someone who’s spent 100+ hour weeks in a training institution that didn’t put in resident call rooms, it doesn’t surprise me at all.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-medical-resid
    And minor ones, too. A local suburban boutique orthopedic practice had the gall to show one of their docs being vaccinated in a thinly veiled marketing attempt (FB post) to bring patients into their now 'clean' office. Their bulls**t little hospital that never saw an underprivileged patient likely gave them access because they're big earners. Meanwhile, I have 4800 nurses, aides, housekeepers and docs swimming face to face in the virus around the clock at my place. I am pissed.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean it's the United States. Isn't it supposed to work exactly like that?

Big earners get access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hippocratic oath and all that. I've probably said too much already, so will hold back on the more detailed rant in my head.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    I mean it's the United States. Isn't it supposed to work exactly like that?

Big earners get access.
    I think I read that Murdoch has already been vaccinated. He is old, but money talks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Please keep us posted on your experience. I'm intensely curious to get your perspective on the process.
    Got vaccinated yesterday. Our health care system started vaccinations on Wednesday and it was a flawless process. We invite employees individually, if you don't schedule within 48 hours it is assumed you don't want it and the slot is passed on. Booster exactly 3 weeks later, no deviation allowed (which btw makes little sense). In contrast to flu, it is not mandated.

No side effects for me whatsoever, not even myalgia at injection site. A small fraction of colleagues had mild cold symptoms.

Good enough today for 2 hours snowshoeing (we got a 75cm dump - fantastic day), 45 min core and 1 hr rollers (kept HR below 130 just to be conservative).

Good Luck to everybody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I did not expect to get the vaccine for a month or two, the opportunity came up last Saturday. Lucky me.
    Pfizer.

Sure, there is a lot of unknown about this vaccine.
    However, I've seen enough people die of ARDS that I'll do anything I can to avoid that.
    No prob except minor sore arm for a day.

I'm told that one of the main side effects of getting the Covid vaccine is excessive talking about the Covid vaccine.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    I'm told that one of the main side effects of getting the Covid vaccine is excessive talking about the Covid vaccine.
    So what happens if you do a CrossFit workout on the same day? Which do you talk about, the vaccine, or CrossFit?

LOL