User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485868788899091929394 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1861

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Stunning article in The NY Times today about the depth and breadth of disinformation efforts in New York City, which reduced the numbers of people getting the vaccine.

Separate attacks specifically tailored to and targeted at various communities.
    • Orthodox Jewish
    • Polish Catholic
    • Haitian immigrant
    • Union Fire Department

Not Everyone in New York Wanted the Coronavirus to Lose

The similarity wasn’t what the disinformation was, it was how it was spread and the intended result.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Stunning article in The NY Times today about the depth and breadth of disinformation efforts in New York City, which reduced the numbers of people getting the vaccine.

Separate attacks specifically tailored to and targeted at various communities.
    • Orthodox Jewish
    • Polish Catholic
    • Haitian immigrant
    • Union Fire Department

Not Everyone in New York Wanted the Coronavirus to Lose

The similarity wasn’t what the disinformation was, it was how it was spread and the intended result.
    That's an "opinion pice" which I think about differently from an "article".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I got a Moderna booster Saturday after getting J&J in April. The CVS at Target was the only local pharmacy with Moderna. Had insomnia that night, and muscle soreness Sunday, but got some next years' base miles in and I feel like a hundred bucks today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    That's an "opinion pice" which I think about differently from an "article".
    Yes, but also backed by a review of eight months worth of misinformation bulletins from a team reporting to the city's Vaccine Command Center.

So it's not just "we think this shit is happening and it's bad", it is "this shit is happening and we think it's bad."

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before me a mother brought in her maybe 10 year old for his first shot, he was totally into it. The tech complimented him for being brave and he was like shucks, that was nothing. The man after me came pushing his walker with his granddaughter hanging back making sure everything went right but letting him handle it as he had it covered. It was great. Two chairs, no waiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This afternoon, got the Moderna booster in the left arm being matchy matchy with back in March and got the flu vaccine in the right arm. So far no reaction, but I didn’t have any negative reaction the first two jabs. Continuing on what Tom saw, there were a bunch of older and really older (a 99 year old woman with her walker and her 75 year old daughter as one example). Very efficient at Duane Reade (now part of Walgreens).
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    This afternoon, got the Moderna booster in the left arm being matchy matchy with back in March and got the flu vaccine in the right arm. So far no reaction, but I didn’t have any negative reaction the first two jabs.
    Just to update this…Woke up this morning with chills and just tired feeling. No fever though. No other symptoms. Been lying around the house all morning. Don’t have the energy to pull the bike off the wall much less throw a leg over it.

Don’t know if it was the booster, the flu shot, or the combination but thought I should let y’all know maybe you shouldn’t schedule anything requiring much effort the day after fwiw.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I raked my front and back yard. The city drops those tip off dumpsters around the leafy neighborhoods and I about two thirds filled one. The shot arm is a little more sore than the other one. That said, I didn't really feel like riding today. I'll probably just refit the storm windows on the front after I go vote and pick up the cat meds.

Pray for me. 15 days of pilling the cat is in my future. She is 6.5 pounds of black nitroglycerin that can do a double helix.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another former co-worker died after spending six weeks on a ventilator. His FB account had all kinds of anti-vax memes. Too much emotional investment to back off, pride kills.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill, as far you know, were these co-workers infected at home, in the community or in your facility?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Another former co-worker died after spending six weeks on a ventilator. His FB account had all kinds of anti-vax memes. Too much emotional investment to back off, pride kills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Bill, as far you know, were these co-workers infected at home, in the community or in your facility?
    Former co-worker from my last job in Texas so I have no idea. At my current job, there have been no cases where the contact tracing led back to work. Contracting Covid in the workplace is an OSHA recordable event.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former co-worker from my last job in Texas so I have no idea. At my current job, there have been no cases where the contact tracing led back to work. Contracting Covid in the workplace is an OSHA recordable event.
    ... which is why, apparently, officials from certain states have expressed a desire to "opt out" of OSHA.
    You can't make this stuff up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    ... which is why, apparently, officials from certain states have expressed a desire to "opt out" of OSHA.
    You can't make this stuff up.
    State's with their own OSH typically had their own before OSHA was formed. Most state OSH are more restrictive than federal with the federal requirements being the minimum. OSHA needs to opt out of Covid at this point. Contracting Covid at work, regardless of severity, is no different than getting a severe injury (requiring medical attention, missing work, prescribed meds, etc), regardless of the good faith measures taken by the employer. If you catch the flu from a coworker, you're just a worker out sick, OSHA doesn't care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

State's with their own OSH typically had their own before OSHA was formed. Most state OSH are more restrictive than federal with the federal requirements being the minimum. OSHA needs to opt out of Covid at this point. Contracting Covid at work, regardless of severity, is no different than getting a severe injury (requiring medical attention, missing work, prescribed meds, etc), regardless of the good faith measures taken by the employer. If you catch the flu from a coworker, you're just a worker out sick, OSHA doesn't care.
    Except that having proper ventilation is one of the primary ways to prevent the spread (and continuing spread) of this pandemic. And some employers aren’t making a good-faith effort to do that. Like how Covid raged through meatpacking plants. I can certainly see how it can be considered a worker safety issue.

And after spending a year and a half looking at commercial and institutional ventilation systems through this lens, I think it’s an issue that sorely needs attention.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 11-03-2021 at 08:53 AM. Reason: It’s all about the aerosol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Except that having proper ventilation is one of the primary ways to prevent the spread (and continuing spread) of this pandemic. And some employers aren’t making a good-faith effort to do that. Like how Covid raged through meatpacking plants. I can certainly see how it can be considered a worker safety issue.

And after spending a year and a half looking at commercial and institutional ventilation systems through this lens, I think it’s an issue that sorely needs attention.
    I agree. As the Chief Engineer, the first info I had about Covid made me focus on ventilation and air exchange. I added several Patterson fans to create a rotational flow of air in each manufacturing area. Fresh air enters from heaters or evaporative coolers on the roof. In the paint/stain room, we are required to maintain a negative pressure to capture fumes in a thermal oxidizer, so it's even easier to pull fresh air into the room. I like to think the lack of Covid spread at work is due to the actions we took in early 2020, or we've been lucky. I'll take either one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to sleep outdoors, and have had a tent pitched in a field near my house for this purpose. I awoke a week ago with the sky showing through the fly, torn in several places by antlers.

Now I know why he was pissed:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/s...infection.html
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I like to sleep outdoors, and have had a tent pitched in a field near my house for this purpose. I awoke a week ago with the sky showing through the fly, torn in several places by antlers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/s...infection.html
    I had a deer show up on one of the game cameras that probably had Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. Midges or gnats infect the deer, killing it in 36 hours. People can't get it even if they eat an infected deer, nor can other animals, and it does not pass from deer to deer. As the symptoms worsen, the deer heads for water and carcasses are often in or next to water. This deer staggered into the camera frame and keeled over repeatedly, its equilibrium out of whack, and then crossed the creek and evidently died off-camera. I got the game camera footage about a week later, and there was nothing left. A few tufts of hair and that was it. Coyotes, vultures, ravens, raccoons and probably a bear took care of everything. Even the neighbor's dog hauled off a section of rib-cage. The neighbor was delighted because the dog brought it into the house.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-03-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

Widespread Coronavirus Infection Found in Iowa Deer, New Study Says
    The analysis by Penn State and Iowa researchers strongly indicates that deer are getting the virus from humans, worrying experts about a deep wild reservoir for the virus.
    Holy fucking shit.

"If the virus were to become endemic in wild animals like deer, it could evolve over time to become more virulent and then infect people with a new strain capable of evading the current crop of vaccines."

"'We can't keep playing whack-a-mole with these zoonotic diseases because it's just too costly, both financially and from a human losses standpoint,' she [Barbara Han, disease ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies] said. 'We have got to do better.'"

We need to up our game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Holy fucking shit.

"If the virus were to become endemic in wild animals like deer, it could evolve over time to become more virulent and then infect people with a new strain capable of evading the current crop of vaccines."

"'We can't keep playing whack-a-mole with these zoonotic diseases because it's just too costly, both financially and from a human losses standpoint,' she [Barbara Han, disease ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies] said. 'We have got to do better.'"

We need to up our game.
    “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.” - Ellen Ripley

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.” - Ellen Ripley
    "You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility."
    "I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."
    "Last word... I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

-- Science Officer Ash