User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Jim, do you believe that if you had been wearing a surgical or cloth mask in late February and the gentleman who coughed all over you had also been wearing a surgical for cloth mask, you would not have contracted Long Haul Covid-19?
    well, this is simply speculation, but based on lab plumes etc I'd say his wearing a mask would have done far more than if I had one. I gave my wife and boys each an N95 I had from a box of 10 I had, and donated the rest (one to a forumite, and the rest HCW). Way back then I felt safe going to the grocery at 9-10pm, but I should have taken a more worst-case approach, as I'd already started paying attention to pre-published medical reports, but I didn't, and got unlucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I received an email from VA. I'm in a higher risk group so I'll be in the first round after HCW and the elderly. Probably in January.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay well Bill. Thanks again (and in advance) for sharing your experiences

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on the other side of the ICU window during intubation. I've had medical power of attorney. I've made the end of life decision. I'd prefer if Tim would make his point with a bit more tact.

Why does it feel as if the medical establishment just discovered the concept of group dynamics?
    I think there was just some lost-in-translation here. I'm of course no fan of any of this, or of diminishing the gravity of what people are going through. I was simply saying some strong doses of the reality of this situation for the people hit hardest by it might slap some sense into the deniers.

And Beat, man, I'm sorry for what you've had to go through there. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - and really hope this country can wake up and start taking care of its people.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    I think there was just some lost-in-translation here. I'm of course no fan of any of this, or of diminishing the gravity of what people are going through. I was simply saying some strong doses of the reality of this situation for the people hit hardest by it might slap some sense into the deniers.

And Beat, man, I'm sorry for what you've had to go through there. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - and really hope this country can wake up and start taking care of its people.
    What I learned from months of ICU days, and many health care professionals may understand, is that death is horrifically banal. And I think outside of war (which I haven't witnessed), being in the presence of death is uniquely personal. Which is to say that language or other media are insufficient to describe or relate the condition or state of loss. When you lose someone you love deeply, whether you're surrounded by family and friends you journey to a place of isolation. It's only happening to you. You can spend a lifetime trying to relate the experience to others but they won't know until they know. I think I realized at 5 years old that a person's first abstraction is death. That lasts a lifetime. When I was a kid, the drug propaganda had an influence on me. Mostly due to the negative reinforcement of seeing hundreds of homeless drug addicts daily on my bus ride to school. That was real. The suggestion that seeing terrifying ICU trauma would change hearts and minds, make individuals more empathetic, well, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature.

Oh, if you ever want to see grown men (60 plus) cry, "Captains of Industry," hang out in the ICU waiting room at Cedars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's all good.

I signed up at work to get vaccinated ASAP although there is still no timeline as to when that will be.

As for the position of the vaccinator: It doesn't matter. The photo op vaccinations are not the same as the give vaccines all day setups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will get the vaccine once my doctor and his hospital network signs off. But i'm interested in the differences between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. I understand they have similar efficacy rates yet I find it peculiar they are viewed equally when the Moderna has less expensive and stringent storage requirements and the required dosage less 30mg vs 100mg. Seems like Moderna chose a similar path but has far better technology involved -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Beetnik good perspective.

I'm encouraging Mrs. Too to volunteer for jabbing arms. We shall see.

Anyone front line medical dealing with this should get recognition dot period. There are many oaths, the one which over arches medical personnel is exceptionally well maintained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got the first poke next one in 3 wks. That one is reported to make you a bit sick.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of LA hospitals ICU occupancy at Cedars is currently 98%

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-near-you.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are there any public dashboards showing how many people have had a vaccine, which one and whether they've had 1st or 2d dose? -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found out that my "essential worker" designation moves me up in the vaccination line. I'm an engineer supporting military programs and some of my work has to be done in the office/lab/manufacturing floor with my co-workers. I still don't expect a shot for 6-9 months, but plan to be in line as soon as it's appropriate.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    Speaking of LA hospitals ICU occupancy at Cedars is currently 98%

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-near-you.html
    As the best private hospital on the West Coast, Cedars always operates at maximum capacity. It's full by design. On my mother's final hospitalization she waited nearly a week for an ICU bed (where she spent a month). She was then discharged and a week later passed in a standard treatment room.

The Canary in the region is Kaiser Baldwin Park. It serves a mostly working class population which is more than 75% Latino. The last figures showed ICU capacity there at 36% with 49 ICU beds in a 246 bed medical center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can spend a lifetime trying to relate the experience to others but they won't know until they know.
    Well said. Certain cultures are better at this than others - and ours (Western) is generally behind the curve. It is probably wishful thinking on my part that some media campaign around covid would change that for the majority - especially given the opiates our masses indulge.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've a former co-worker who was interested in this position--the "best" places tend to attract and retain staff, not so as you go down the tier of healthcare facilities. As an example, the issue may not be beds, but staff:
    https://www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org...p/641/17333862

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Just got the first poke next one in 3 wks. That one is reported to make you a bit sick.
    WOO HOO. Great news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I will get the vaccine once my doctor and his hospital network signs off. But i'm interested in the differences between the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. I understand they have similar efficacy rates yet I find it peculiar they are viewed equally when the Moderna has less expensive and stringent storage requirements and the required dosage less 30mg vs 100mg. Seems like Moderna chose a similar path but has far better technology involved -Mike G
    They think the temperature difference is due to the differences in the delivery molecule (solid lipid nanoparticle) used to coat the mRNA strand. Moderna's is coating seems to be most robust and doesn't need to be as cold as pfizers. ( MRNA-1273 from Moderna, and BNT162b2 from BioNTech/Pfizer)

You can think of the lipid like the coating on your M&M chocolate. The chocolate inside is the mRNA, the coating is the lipid. You want it to melt in your mouth not in your hand. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaaaaand Doug pulls into the lead winning this thread. Everyone take a rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angel Jauregui

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll get it when I'm in line -- 54, maybe my pacemaker gets me a little ahead, maybe it doesn't.