User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 79 of 94 FirstFirst ... 697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1861

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Well shit........we lost Tom today on no kidding, his 60th B-day - he made it awhile intubated, long enough to require a tracheotomy but he couldn't beat it, it killed him dead.

Niece & anti-vaxx BF are alive

Fuckign dummies.
    They didn't have to go through any of this.

- Garro.
    Not dummies, people haven't evolved their decision making capabilities to deal with life
    outside hunter/gatherer societies. Check back in 2,000 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Not dummies, people haven't evolved their decision making capabilities to deal with life
    On the path humankind is going, there's no way our species will be here in 2,000 years...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    One of the challenges for societal institutions will be progressing to an acceptable level of severe disease burden in this heterogenous and dynamic pandemic. Based on figures from nations and regions which offer granular data, the case fatality rates for Covid-19 overall continue to be higher than the flu for fully vaccinated individuals. For a few groups, the more frail elderly and immunocompromised, the case fatality rate hovers near 2% in the fully vaccinated. That number doesn't appear to be dependent on population level vaccination rates as breakthrough infections are now very common in highly vaccinated places. As Octave is more qualified to comment, I'll only speculate that there's tacit acknowledgement that more targeted boosters (with very high uptake) are the true long term exit strategy.
    Yes, targeted and/or adaptive mRNA vaccines with very high rates of uptake is the exit strategy - however, note that "exit" means "reducing disease severity outcomes and transmission rates to manageable values" not "eradicating SARS-CoV-2." If we play our cards right and people accept vaccines at much higher rates than they currently do, we can certainly "defang" the virus and reduce the burden on our healthcare systems to a point where we can actually manage the pandemic. This won't happen by magic. It will happen with a significant shift in social acceptance of the vaccine(s), whether via mandates, moral bargaining, or other changes (or a combination, most likely).
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    If only they had been offered a free, easy way to not have this happen........

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    On the path humankind is going, there's no way our species will be here in 2,000 years...

Greg
    Agreed

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 09-28-2021 at 02:47 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is some of the strategies that are being employed ARE working. I have several acquaintances, friends-of-friends, etc who were pretty vocal anti-vax people and a number of them work in the school system, teachers, maintenance people...

Here in NJ the rule is that if you are in the school system in any capacity, either show proof of vax or get the swab shoved up your nose (i think at your expense) twice a week. Magically in the first week of Sept many of those folks swallowed their pride, and went and got the shot. It's silly that we have to drag some people kicking and screaming to get them protected, but if that's what it takes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    The good news is some of the strategies that are being employed ARE working. I have several acquaintances, friends-of-friends, etc who were pretty vocal anti-vax people and a number of them work in the school system, teachers, maintenance people...

Here in NJ the rule is that if you are in the school system in any capacity, either show proof of vax or get the swab shoved up your nose (i think at your expense) twice a week. Magically in the first week of Sept many of those folks swallowed their pride, and went and got the shot. It's silly that we have to drag some people kicking and screaming to get them protected, but if that's what it takes...
    I wonder if offering individuals who have been previously infected the option of antibody or T cell tests taken once yearly would go a long way in producing good will and reducing distrust in the "Health Establishment." And at this point, it's not an issue of transmission or reinfection (both very low in the previously infected) but an issue of disease outcome. If you're reinfected will you have a mild case; the evidence points to yes.

Jonathan Isaac shares that he's had Covid in the past when answering a question on vaccine hesitancy.

https://twitter.com/beyondtheRK/stat...ald_trump.html

JONATHAN ISAAC: I would start with, I have had Covid in the past. Our understanding of antibodies, of natural immunity, has changed a great deal from the onset of the pandemic. It is still evolving.

I understand that the vaccine would help if you catch Covid, you'll be able to have less symptoms from contracting it. But with me having Covid in the past, having antibodies, with my current age group and physical fitness level, it is not necessarily a fear of mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Isaac is out of his element.
    Walter

Calmer than you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Can we just take a minute to recognize that a tired old hotel chain has produced some of the most memorable ad campaigns of the past decade or so?

My favorite is the ongoing saga of the middle-age son living at home.. "what do you think this is, a Holiday Inn?"

Geico of course takes the cake - but Holiday Inn is right up there.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not wrong about natural or acquired immunity. And the subtext is acquiring antibodies through vaccination being the reasonable or responsible choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Mr. Isaac is out of his element.

Dan, I like your style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my wife just got her booster at the Target and they gave her a $5 coupon for purchases $6 or more. So, we got some $1.23 contact solution! Seems like a win win scenario to me.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post

Greg
    I was at a family meeting last weekend: house and graveyard in a trust. There was considerable discussion about changes to the layout of the graveyard, which is pie shaped and nearing capacity in some slices. When one of my cousins expressed concern for his childrens' grandchildren having room to be buried my jaw dropped.

I give us fifty, maybe, realizing this is "apres moi, le deluge."
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What struck me is how measured this 16-year old is. Perhaps it is his mental defence mechanism at work, but I suspect there is also a dose of maturity in evidence.

When Parents Forbid the COVID Vaccine: A teen-ager explains how his parents’ resistance to vaccination has strained their family life, and the options he’s explored for receiving the shot without their permission.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    What struck me is how measured this 16-year old is. Perhaps it is his mental defence mechanism at work, but I suspect there is also a dose of maturity in evidence.

When Parents Forbid the COVID Vaccine: A teen-ager explains how his parents’ resistance to vaccination has strained their family life, and the options he’s explored for receiving the shot without their permission.
    Very measured. Pretty sad to be the voice of reason in a house at that age.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post

Heartbreaking. I hope some part of them knows they have a hell of a kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reinforces how happy I am that my parents aren't very engaged with social media.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Can we just take a minute to recognize that a tired old hotel chain has produced some of the most memorable ad campaigns of the past decade or so?

My favorite is the ongoing saga of the middle-age son living at home.. "what do you think this is, a Holiday Inn?"

Geico of course takes the cake - but Holiday Inn is right up there.
    The guy that plays the son in the Holiday Inn commercial, lives here in Lincoln, NE. See him fairly regularly at a mutual friends. That's really him, not an act.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My MIL is in a nursing home in Wyoming and has Covid. She is in advanced stage Parkinson's so she recognizes no one and cannot communicate. The facility has several dozen infected patients and have lost 16 so far. My MIL is vaccinated as are most of the people who have died. She didn't exhibit symptoms, but tested positive. She is symptomatic now. In a building of co-morbidity, you're going to lose some folks. National Guard nurses are filling in for the staff that is infected.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry to hear this--does that mean the current outbreak at that nursing home is due to a staff transmitting it, or visitors? The continued (esp. asymptomatic transmission), even after vaccination makes it hard to limit the virus from the vulnerable without lots of testing, which doesn't seem to be occurring here as it is elsewhere in the developed world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One of my high school and college classmates died from complications due to Covid.

He did well, and did good. He graduated college with a degree in music but made a splash in the food world.
    Made in New England: Meet Michael Smulders of (Gluten-Free) Bakery on Main
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry you lost a friend. I have a tiny circle of friends, and everyday I am thankful they all got vaccinated.