User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1861

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    No shoes, no shirt, no service. A young man comes in, isn't wearing a shirt, you throw him out of your shop. Doesn't matter what race he is. He chose not to wear a shirt.
    No vaccination , no service. Doesn't matter what race, because again you chose not to be vaccinated. Particularly in NY, the issue is not access to vaccination. Heck , I was vaccinated on a Saturday in the Bronx. CVS open 7 days a week, just walk in. That's what I did.

The discrimination argument is bullshit.
    To be clear, I'm not making that argument. Public health authorities in major cities outside of the South are in a nearly impossible position. I do wonder about the logic of a mandate which allows those with one dose free access while all public health agencies treat one dose individuals as unvaccinated, statistically.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/...-keytonyc.page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably behind a paywall but shouldn't be. Sometimes if you search for the article title on Google, the WashPo lets you through.

"Many unvaccinated people are not opposed to getting a shot. The challenge is trying to get it to them."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...d-but-willing/

Topical I think given the current moment in this discussion.

One of my wife's best friends from college is now a research psychologist who studies patient relationship with medication. Some part of that study involved HIV-AIDS patients and retro-viral medications. The gist of what he studies is why patients do not take their medication as prescribed. The range of reasons is so wide ranging as to include everything and the sun and the moon.
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-23-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was a black man, I might be less hesitant if I paired up with a willing white man to go for our jabs together and in the final moments, switch places. American medicine has operated with extreme racial prejudice in the not too distant past and I can empathize with someone who would rather take a chance with a colorblind virus.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the amount of misinformation being fed to people is larger than you think and more insidious.

How Facebook Hobbled Mark Zuckerberg's Bid to Get America Vaccinated
    2021-09-17 12:06:23.122 GMT

By Sam Schechner, Jeff Horwitz and Emily Glazer

(Dow Jones) -- In mid-March, Mark Zuckerberg used his Facebook page to
    announce a goal that was both ambitious and personal. He wanted his company to
    use its formidable resources to push 50 million people toward Covid-19
    vaccines.

In a post and a press release, the chief executive discussed Facebook Inc.'s
    initiatives to promote vaccines. He unveiled collaborations with global health
    organizations. And he touted that his company had "already connected more than
    2 billion people to authoritative Covid-19 information."

Inside Facebook, staffers were warning that Mr. Zuckerberg's own platform, the
    globe-spanning powerhouse built on code he wrote 17 years ago, was
    compromising his effort.

For more than a month, Facebook researchers warned that comments on
    vaccine-related posts -- often factual posts of the sort Facebook sought to
    promote -- were filled with antivaccine rhetoric aimed at undermining their
    message, internal documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show. The
    comments ranged from personal objections all the way to debunked falsehoods
    and conspiracy theories.

The wave of negative comments worried global health institutions, including
    the World Health Organization and Unicef, the documents say. One internal
    Facebook memo cited "anti-vaccine commenters that swarm their Pages."

In the weeks before Mr. Zuckerberg made his announcement, another memo said
    initial testing concluded that roughly 41% of comments on English-language
    vaccine-related posts risked discouraging vaccinations. Users were seeing
    comments on vaccine-related posts 775 million times a day, the memo said, and
    Facebook researchers worried the large proportion of negative comments could
    influence perceptions of the vaccines' safety.

Even authoritative sources of vaccine information were becoming "cesspools of
    anti-vaccine comments," the authors wrote. "That's a huge problem and we need
    to fix it," they said.

Facebook's goal of protecting the rollout of the Covid vaccines, described in
    one memo as "a top company priority," was a demonstration of Mr. Zuckerberg's
    faith that his creation is a force for social good in the world. But the
    effort ended up demonstrating the gulf between his aspirations and the
    practical reality of the world's largest social platform -- where the
    company's aims can bring it into conflict with its own users.

Despite Mr. Zuckerberg's effort, a cadre of antivaccine activists flooded the
    network with what Facebook calls "barrier to vaccination" content, the memos
    show. They used Facebook's own tools to sow doubt about the severity of the
    pandemic's threat and the safety of authorities' main weapon to combat it.

By this summer, the prevalence of false and misleading vaccine information on
    Facebook prompted a public scolding from President Biden, who said the
    falsehoods were "killing people."

The vaccine documents are part of a collection of internal communications
    reviewed by the Journal that offer an unparalleled picture of how Facebook is
    acutely aware that the products and systems central to its business success
    routinely fail and cause harm.

Facebook's own research lays out in detail how its rules favor elites; its
    platforms have negative effects on teen mental health; its algorithm fosters
    discord; and that drug cartels and human traffickers use its services openly.

The documents show that Facebook has often made minimal or ineffectual efforts
    to address the issues and plays them down in public.

Since the Journal began publishing articles based on the documents, several
    lawmakers have expressed outrage at the revelations, and two senators have
    announced an investigation into Facebook's internal research on how its
    Instagram service affects young users.

Some Facebook officials have become concerned that Mr. Zuckerberg or Chief
    Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg may face questions from lawmakers about how
    their past public statements on these issues square with the company's
    internal assessments, according to people familiar with the matter. The
    company is also tightening the reins on how information is shared internally,
    the people said.

The Covid-19 mess in particular strikes at the heart of Facebook's problem:
    its users create the content, but their comments, posts and videos are hard to
    control, given how Facebook built and runs its platform, in ways that are
    fundamentally different from a company shaping its product or a publisher
    curating stories. Even when he set a goal, the chief executive couldn't steer
    the platform as he wanted.

"We're focused on outcomes, and the data shows that for people in the U.S. on
    Facebook, vaccine hesitancy has declined by about 50% since January, and
    acceptance is high," Facebook spokesman Aaron Simpson said in a statement. The
    documents show Facebook's "routine process for dealing with difficult
    challenges," he said. "Narrowly characterizing leaked documents doesn't
    accurately represent the problem, and it also ignores the work that's been
    underway to make comments on posts about COVID-19 and vaccines safer and more
    reliable."

Optimistic view

Mr. Zuckerberg has long espoused the belief that Facebook's role connecting
    people makes it a tool to help solve the world's problems. Former executives
    say that optimism left him and his company repeatedly ill-prepared when people
    used the platform in ways it didn't anticipate.

"The internal narrative is that the platform is by and large good," said Brian
    Boland, a former Facebook vice president who managed business relationships
    and left late last year in part because he said the company wasn't forthcoming
    enough about its problems. He credits Mr. Zuckerberg with getting Facebook to
    work quickly on health initiatives during the pandemic but said his focus on
    connecting people created a blind spot for company leaders. "There was not a
    lot of discussion in our circles of, 'Hey, are people propagating harmful
    messages on the platform?' " he said.

Facebook has similarly struggled with how to handle the spread of inaccuracies
    on other issues, from QAnon conspiracy theories and other election falsehoods
    to hoax cancer cures and Holocaust denial. Mr. Zuckerberg initially permitted
    such denials on the platform on free speech grounds but last year changed his
    position, citing rising anti-Semitic violence.

Fringe political activists used Facebook Groups, user-run communities devoted
    to topics and interests, to stir violence, the Journal has reported. The
    company had heavily promoted the product for years, though it clamped down in
    the wake of the 2020 U.S. election.

Facebook had plenty of warnings that a campaign to roll out a new vaccine
    might provoke a backlash. Antivaccine groups had already leveraged social
    media to gain followers and spread false vaccine claims amid measles outbreaks
    in parts of the U.S. In 2019, after the issue became the subject of public
    outcry, Facebook promised a crackdown. Months later, the company struggled to
    make progress.

Renée DiResta, a leading researcher of online information at Stanford Internet
    Observatory who has advised Congress and the State Department, said she
    regularly warned Facebook about the tactics of antivaccine activists long
    before the pandemic. "People in the company recognized it as a problem," Ms.
    DiResta said. "Where is the disconnect?"

Facebook employees had previously flagged comments made on posts as a largely
    unaddressed problem, according to a former employee and the documents reviewed
    by the Journal. Research in 2018 and 2019 found that comments were what one
    memo described as "an important source of misinformation, even on seemingly
    innocuous articles."

Mr. Zuckerberg has often stepped in to limit Facebook's intervention on
    contentious content, saying it doesn't take sides in controversial areas like
    politics and doesn't want to be the arbiter of truth. On the Covid vaccine,
    though, Mr. Zuckerberg was clear in his support, and on his desire for
    Facebook to assist public-health authorities in the vaccination effort.

Long interested in public health, the CEO and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a
    pediatrician, founded their Chan Zuckerberg Initiative philanthropy in 2015
    with that as a central focus. The same year, he posted to Facebook
    recommending a book that he said explained why vaccine doubts were unfounded.

Mr. Zuckerberg has often described his company as a powerful engine to improve
    the world. In a 5,700-word essay in 2017, when Facebook was under fire after
    the 2016 election, he wrote that Facebook's next mission was building "social
    infrastructure" in part to make the world more resilient in crises. "Our
    greatest challenges also need global responses -- like ending terrorism,
    fighting climate change, and preventing pandemics," Mr. Zuckerberg wrote.

In February 2020, as the coronavirus spread, Facebook opened its Menlo Park,
    Calif., headquarters to the WHO for a meeting with tech companies including
    Alphabet Inc.'s Google and Twitter Inc., where a WHO official discussed the
    companies' role in spreading "lifesaving health information," according to the
    WHO.

Mr. Zuckerberg also emailed Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute
    of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, to ask how he could personally help fund
    vaccine trials, according to correspondence provided to the Journal as part of
    a Freedom of Information Act request.

In subsequent emails to Dr. Fauci, Mr. Zuckerberg offered the government
    Facebook advertising credits for public-service announcements, as well as
    aggregated user data to help with decision-making. He also asked whether Dr.
    Fauci would appear with him in a live Facebook Q&A about the pandemic. The two
    appeared in one of multiple live Facebook videos four days later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling that Facebook and it’s ilk are going to be the tobacco companies of the 2020’s. They cannot go away soon enough.

(Fully acknowledges the irony that I love me some Instagram)
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think the amount of misinformation being fed to people is larger than you think and more insidious.

How Facebook Hobbled Mark Zuckerberg's Bid to Get America Vaccinated
    2021-09-17 12:06:23.122 GMT

Mr. Zuckerberg has often described his company as a powerful engine to improve
    the world...
    As do Boeing, Chevron, Dow Chemical, Raytheon, Monsanto, so who wouldn't question the provax message.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so who wouldn't question the provax message

Me. I estimate I've provided over 30,000 vaccinations in my career with zero concerning adverse outcomes. This includes COVID vaccination. I've also seen the devastating effects of vaccine preventable diseases. Ever watch the effect on a misled family about the "dangers" of vaccinations suffer through a vaccine preventable disease?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a few unvaccinated employees. I keep hearing the same recycled and debunked anti-vax talking points. "What blood type are you?" "The doctors I follow say the vaccine doesn't work." And the big one, "well, your wife was vaccinated but she still got covid, so why should I get vaccinated?" "So, you're telling me that 97% of the covid deaths at the regional medical center were unvaccinated, that's what they want you to believe."

I've stopped caring about it. It's September, most folks have very little vacation or sick time remaining. Get covid and stop getting paid, maybe you won't die.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    so who wouldn't question the provax message

Me. I estimate I've provided over 30,000 vaccinations in my career with zero concerning adverse outcomes. This includes COVID vaccination. I've also seen the devastating effects of vaccine preventable diseases. Ever watch the effect on a misled family about the "dangers" of vaccinations suffer through a vaccine preventable disease?
    How would you describe the socioeconomic status of the community or communities you serve?

When I watched Pandemic on Netflix in 2019 I was horrified at the casual and seemingly ignorant distrust of vaccines by a seemingly affluent Oregon mom. Recently, on Twitter and youtube, when consuming pro-science messages from doctors such as David Gorski, I've been shocked to discover that in the United States or Europe there are MDs who lead the anti-vxx movement. Hard for me to wrap my mind around that. I can't imagine board certified oncologists suggesting fruit diets instead of chemo.

However, do you think it would be dangerous, reckless, or criminal to properly or methodically disclose an accurate number or rate of adverse events with these covid-19 vaccines? And, as would be expected with hundreds of millions of shots, the number of AEs could seem high. That's where education would come in. Education instead of suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    And the big one, "well, your wife was vaccinated but she still got covid, so why should I get vaccinated?" "So, you're telling me that 97% of the covid deaths at the regional medical center were unvaccinated, that's what they want you to believe."

I've stopped caring about it. It's September, most folks have very little vacation or sick time remaining. Get covid and stop getting paid, maybe you won't die.
    Isn't that a consequence of ineffective or problematic messaging from the CDC and public health authorities? As "informed" as I am on this topic, all my fully vaccinated acquaintances (and wife) who had breakthrough infections were shocked. They believed the vaccine was sterilizing. And, now, LA Public Health is tracking reinfections in the fully vaccinated. That is a reinfection of a breakthrough case. Reason for that? I won't speculate on this bike forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Isn't that a consequence of ineffective or problematic messaging from the CDC and public health authorities? As "informed" as I am on this topic, all my fully vaccinated acquaintances (and wife) who had breakthrough infections were shocked. They believed the vaccine was sterilizing. And, now, LA Public Health is tracking reinfections in the fully vaccinated. That is a reinfection of a breakthrough case. Reason for that? I won't speculate on this bike forum.
    As effective as the vaccines are, they were designed in a pre-Delta-variant world. Delta is much more transmissible than the original virus, so there have been more instances of breakthrough cases.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an emergency situation with a quickly spreading and rapidly mutating virus, do you think it's unacceptable for a public health authority to track infections?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you describe the socioeconomic status of the community or communities you serve?

When I watched Pandemic on Netflix in 2019 I was horrified at the casual and seemingly ignorant distrust of vaccines by a seemingly affluent Oregon mom. Recently, on Twitter and youtube, when consuming pro-science messages from doctors such as David Gorski, I've been shocked to discover that in the United States or Europe there are MDs who lead the anti-vxx movement. Hard for me to wrap my mind around that. I can't imagine board certified oncologists suggesting fruit diets instead of chemo.

However, do you think it would be dangerous, reckless, or criminal to properly or methodically disclose an accurate number or rate of adverse events with these covid-19 vaccines? And, as would be expected with hundreds of millions of shots, the number of AEs could seem high. That's where education would come in. Education instead of suppression.

You seem fascinated by socioeconomics, so simple economic question:

If the government offered people a free Megamillions or powerball ticket, should the people take it? Why or why not

If there is a $10 bill on the ground near your foot, do you take it? Why or why not

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    In an emergency situation with a quickly spreading and rapidly mutating virus, do you think it's unacceptable for a public health authority to track infections?
    I don't understand your question.

I applaud LA County Public Health for tracking persons who have been fully vaccinated and infected by SARS-CoV-2 multiple times post vaccination [the breakthrough infection and the reinfection(s)]...in a 9 month period. This information is not being actively publicized and shared with reputable local news sources.

reinfects.jpg

reinfects2.jpg

reinfects3.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applaud LA County Public Health for tracking persons who have been fully vaccinated and infected by SARS-CoV-2 multiple times post vaccination (the breakthrough infection and the reinfection)...in a 9 month period. This information is not being actively publicized and shared with reputable local news sources.
    Do you think LA County Public Health should be more active in disseminating COVID infection information beyond posting the data on their website?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone working in the pharmaceutical industry, I do not think this is dangerous, reckless, or criminal. TEAEs in particular (rather than overall AEs, which are not conclusively linked to the treatment) should be discussed as a rate, just as they are for every medication and pharmaceutical product. Head over to the public Clinical Trials database and you can gorge yourself on these data until your eyes bleed. Rates of TEAEs are more informative than total numbers, as of course tens of millions or billions of doses given in a single year will yield relatively high raw numbers, even if the rate is quite low. That being said, just like tracking and reporting breakthrough infections and reinfections, these data should be used to inform people within context of the nature of these drugs.

What boggles my mind is how easily people accept side effects and mediocre efficacy rates for drugs they're willingly taking for minor issues (antidepressants, anxiolytics, BP regulators, painkillers, statins...etc.) while eschewing a quite safe and surprisingly efficacious drug to protect them from a virus with substantial consequences. I have a neighbor who takes a moderately efficacious BP-regulating drug with significant side-effects but refuses the vaccine for the reasons stated quite commonly: fear of side effects and not being a fool-proof, 100%, no-fail cure. But people with give themselves weeks of diarrhea taking ivermectin with zero proven efficacy? At this point I'm a full supporter of medical triage for the willingly unvaccinated.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think LA County Public Health should be more active in disseminating COVID infection information beyond posting the data on their website?
    I do, with an obligation or moral duty to provide the necessary context for all data.

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post

What boggles my mind is how easily people accept side effects and mediocre efficacy rates for drugs they're willingly taking for minor issues (antidepressants, anxiolytics, BP regulators, painkillers, statins...etc.) while eschewing a quite safe and surprisingly efficacious drug to protect them from a virus with substantial consequences. I have a neighbor who takes a moderately efficacious BP-regulating drug with significant side-effects but refuses the vaccine for the reasons stated quite commonly: fear of side effects and not being a fool-proof, 100%, no-fail cure. But people with give themselves weeks of diarrhea taking ivermectin with zero proven efficacy? At this point I'm a full supporter of medical triage for the willingly unvaccinated.
    It's an interesting dynamic which leads me to wonder about past perceived trends of overmedication. Americans love their meds or at least they did, right? In any case, I continue to perceive this on macro terms. Which is to say an issue of transmission and disease burden. You mention triage for the unvaccinated (and by this you mean back of the line, correct?). If this became standard practice, how much would the needle move. An unvaccinated "healthy" 25 year old may gladly take his chances while on the other hand an unvaccinated 55 year old has more to lose, financially and healthwise. It's a confounding (hehe) paradox. Convince (or compel) one person, the 25 year old, to change his behavior (ideology) for society's benefit and convince the other, the 55 year old, to do it for his personal gain or protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do, with an obligation or moral duty to provide the necessary context for all data.
    What kind of context do you think is missing?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of context do you think is missing?
    I would prefer more consistency and balance. The trend has been for some risks to be amplified (exaggerated), ie, disease burden in children while others are minimized, ie, the rate of increase of breakthrough infections along with the corresponding disease burden from secondary attacks. At this point, many of us in the Latinx community, know a fully vaccinated person, who believing that breakthrough infections are rare, infected another fully vaccinated elderly person, resulting in ICU admission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer more consistency and balance. The trend has been for some risks to be amplified (exaggerated), ie, disease burden in children while others are minimized, ie, the rate of increase of breakthrough infections along with the corresponding disease burden from secondary attacks. At this point, many of us in the Latinx community, know a fully vaccinated person, who believing that breakthrough infections are rare, infected another fully vaccinated elderly person, resulting in ICU admission.
    What about their data do you think lacks balance?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^The data doesn't lack balance. The presentation may.