User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 71 of 94 FirstFirst ... 616263646566676869707172737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1861

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    ...what the actual fuck is wrong with this country?
    Nadler, C. (2017). Denial: A Sociological Theory
    A dissertation submitted to the Graduate Faculty in Sociology in partial fulfillment of the
    requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, The City University of New York

https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/v...ontext=gc_etds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    in my travels across the American South this week, i’ve see far more concern and talk about 13 dead american soldiers at the tail end of a 20 year colonial occupation than I have seen about the complete lack of ICU beds, staffing shortages and oxygen shortages in the regions I have traveled through.

I was on the WV/VA border the other day- podunk cafe had a NO MASKS sign AND 13 empty place settings. This was a town that had it’s hospital closed in 2019 by the big chain that owns all the other hospitals. When i spent time in the big chain VA ICU 2 weeks ago(thanks BMX!) the staff said the majority of their in-patient beds were filled by West Virginan’s that had traveled at least 90 miles to reach the hospital.

what the actual fuck is wrong with this country?
    Propaganda works.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Propaganda works.
    As does deprivation of education.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Propaganda works.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Upton Sinclair — 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.'

Updated version 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his politics depends on his not understanding it.'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Trump get rehired?

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...da-2021-08-31/

I keed, I keed.

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Nadler, C. (2017). Denial: A Sociological Theory
    A dissertation submitted to the Graduate Faculty in Sociology in partial fulfillment of the
    requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, The City University of New York

https://academicworks.cuny.edu/cgi/v...ontext=gc_etds
    I'll peruse that later.

Are working class Republicans more susceptible to propaganda than professional class/affluent Republicans? Around here the Republican elites are not victims of the propaganda described above.

La Cañada
    lacanada.jpg

lacanada2.jpg

Palos Verdes Estates
    pv.jpg

pv2.jpg

Palos Verdes:

The population was 13,438 at the 2010 census, up from 13,340 in the 2000 census. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Palos Verdes Estates is the 81st richest place in the United States with at least 1,000 households (based upon per capita income).

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rnia/PST045219

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kidding aside, even the military has mandatory retirement after 30 years. I'd think 32 years is plenty . Not sure on the deputy, he looks like he probably became an MD in the 80s, so it just may be that time of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    kidding aside, even the military has mandatory retirement after 30 years. I'd think 32 years is plenty . Not sure on the deputy, he looks like he probably became an MD in the 80s, so it just may be that time of life.
    Life has been stressful at the FDA. But also I am sure Pharma is hiring.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please get vaccinated and encourage others to do likewise.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Propaganda works.

Upton Sinclair — 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.'

Updated version 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his politics depends on his not understanding it.'
    Addendum: "It is impossible to convince someone through reason of something they did not come to by reason in the first place."
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Around here the Republican elites are not victims of the propaganda described above.
    Give it time. Indirect justice may yet be coming.. Not by way of buying the propaganda of course - they're all vaxxed and ready to get top-shelf medical care as needed. But they may yet suffer some repercussions from what they've helped unfold in this country these last few years - the spreading of the propaganda, etc. We can hope anyway.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Heterogenous Pandemic

Remember Al Davis...and Irwindale?

Long before Carson and Los Angeles trotted out grand stadium designs and deep-pocketed backers to battle for a professional football team, another Southern California town taught everyone how not to bargain for an NFL franchise.

Quarry-pocked Irwindale, about 18 miles east of downtown and the Los Angeles Coliseum, gave the Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland Raiders a $10-million “deposit” a dozen years ago. The city of 1,000 residents lost the cash when the team decided not to move there after all.

To make matters worse, Irwindale had sunk an additional $10 million into legal fees, environmental studies and other expenses.

Total loss on the doomed NFL bid: $20 million.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...055-story.html

Irwindale has 1459 residents now and the highest case rate, at the moment, of any city in Los Angeles County. They're also the most vaccinated city in the County.

irwin.jpg

irwin2.jpg

irwin4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    It’s an active denial and rejection of education. A poorly educated population is an easily manipulated population. In my mind it has been clear that this defunding of education has had this as its goal for a generation.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It’s an active denial and rejection of education. A poorly educated population is an easily manipulated population. In my mind it has been clear that this defunding of education has had this as its goal for a generation.
    One would think that the capitalist fat cats (OK, businesses and industries that rely on an educated workforce - we do have some of those around, don't we?) that fund these politicians' campaign coffers would at least nudge them in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Irwindale has 1459 residents now and the highest case rate, at the moment, of any city in Los Angeles County. They're also the most vaccinated city in the County.

irwin.jpg
    As they're counting 1st dose only in the vaccinated percentage, I wonder how many of those people also have the second dose. Granted I'm not an infectious diseases expert or a doctor of any sort, but I've never read anything that would make me inclined to count a person with 1 of 2 doses (for the 2 dose vaccines, of course) as "vaccinated."
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    One would think that the capitalist fat cats (OK, businesses and industries that rely on an educated workforce - we do have some of those around, don't we?) that fund these politicians' campaign coffers would at least nudge them in the right direction.
    For the most part the publicly traded companies that fall into that category think quarter to quarter, earnings announcement to earnings announcement. The good ones may also be thinking about a strategy for a couple years out though they'll be quick to change course if The Street doesn't respond well to quarterly results. There's no long term political strategy that would have them push for investment in education for a future workforce.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    For the most part the publicly traded companies that fall into that category think quarter to quarter, earnings announcement to earnings announcement. The good ones may also be thinking about a strategy for a couple years out though they'll be quick to change course if The Street doesn't respond well to quarterly results. There's no long term political strategy that would have them push for investment in education for a future workforce.
    Owner-proprietors might think about such long term issues, but hired suits have no vested interest in thinking about consequences that manifest themselves after they have moved on / retired. So, yeah, you're spot on.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As they're counting 1st dose only in the vaccinated percentage, I wonder how many of those people also have the second dose. Granted I'm not an infectious diseases expert or a doctor of any sort, but I've never read anything that would make me inclined to count a person with 1 of 2 doses (for the 2 dose vaccines, of course) as "vaccinated."
    Those percentages reflect trends. There hasn't been a great increase in uptake in LA County unlike other parts of the country. I don't have the historical numbers available but from what I know about that city, the vaccine drives were early and universal. In any case, no other city in LA County is above 90% for at least one dose.

Back to politics! Westlake Village and La Habra Heights are two of the most conservative towns in LA County by voter registration. La Habra Heights was the only place in the County where Trump won citywide in 2020. LA County as a whole is 3 to 1 Democratic. Westlake Village and La Habra Heights also have the lowest Covid-19 case rates in the County (1.7% and 2.3%, respectively), 10x lower than the most affected areas.

reps4.jpg

reps.jpg

reps2.jpg

reps3.jpeg

reps6.jpg

And then there's Malibu (4 to 2 Democratic) with the 2nd lowest vaccination rate in LA County, 52% single dose for persons 12-65 and only 71% for 65 plus. By comparison, Lancaster, which is 40% Latino and 21% black (2nd largest black population in an LA County "suburb") has the lowest vaccination rate in the County at 56%.

reps7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct. Those who have received a single dose should not be considered vaccinated. I find this metric a bit bizzare, much like the national-level touting of the US vaccination campaign based on similarly distorted figures.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    You are correct. Those who have received a single dose should not be considered vaccinated. I find this metric a bit bizzare, much like the national-level touting of the US vaccination campaign based on similarly distorted figures.
    LA County Public Health is bizarre. Truly.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/med...-dashboard.htm

In LA County, 87% of residents who have participated in a vaccine series are fully vaccinated.

reps8.jpg

If we extrapolate that for Irwindale, 1095 (1259 single dose) residents are fully vaccinated out of a 12 and over population of 1332. So, 82% fully vaccinated (and 20% confirmed previously infected).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please get vaccinated and encourage others to do likewise.
    steve cortez

FNG