User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

^12k cases on Dec 8. Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Here in AZ, we're making a solid run towards herd immunity before the vaccine.
    Makes sense to me.

And to Senator Paul, who's arguing that you get better immunity via "Natural Immunity" than from the vaccine.

So you get better protection from getting COVID-19 by getting COVID-19.

It astounds me that anyone even needs to rebut this level of idiocy.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear this Bill. Our trailer is your trailer. Just don't take the last beer and we are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Sorry to hear this Bill. Our trailer is your trailer. Just don't take the last beer and we are good.
    Home-work-home is my schedule five days a week. I grocery shop first thing in the am on the weekend. I bought a house 20 minutes east of town in a small community with a golf course and lots of snowbirds. It is as isolated as I can get on the grid although I get my internet through a dish. The GF and I have been laying low with the exception of her art work and equestrian practice. She teaches her art history classes on line and I do all my grad stuff on line. I'm really bummed that graduation in June is now virtual. I didn't get to walk across the stage for my BS, I really wanted to do it for my MA.

On the plus side, my M-spike is low so I'm on 3 month intervals with the Oncologist via labwork and telemed.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    UK probing if allergic reactions linked to Pfizer vaccine

"In the meantime, the regulator [UK's MHRA - Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency] has issued the warning for anyone who has had a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food. That includes anyone who has been told to carry an adrenaline shot or others who have had potentially fatal allergic reactions."
    Is this true for all vaccines for people with severe allergies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr. Offit, who is on the FDA advisory panel, and Z Dogg MD do a very thorough Q&A. I highly recommend viewing this.

Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Is this true for all vaccines for people with severe allergies?
    No. traditional vaccines usually deliver a weakened/dead virus which allows the body to developed an immune response. The new mRNA based vaccines are introducing a piece of RNA which mimics a vulnerability of the virus and allows the body to build an immune response. However, the delivery mechanism (delivery molecule) for the mRNA can cause it's own immune response which can mimic an allergic reaction. This is why for some other therapies using mRNA, steroids, antihistamines are prescribed. You can see hATTR which was one of the first mRNA therapies where this is an issue. I would think this is something the people at Pfizer and Moderna expected as a possibility. It's not a show stopper.

I'd think you can just take some benadryl before your shot and be okay. When my number comes up, I'll just pop some prednisone, take a benadryl, and keep my epipen handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see no reason that people with a complete disregard for other people’s safety, have a right to be vaccinated. They kept panning to shot of the QB’s parents and family during the LSU-Florida game last evening and the Mother didn’t even pretend to wear a mask, nor did her youngest son...at least Dad acted like he cared and had a gaiter (no pun intended) around his neck...unreal.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

I see no reason that people with a complete disregard for other people’s safety, have a right to be vaccinated. They kept panning to shot of the QB’s parents and family during the LSU-Florida game last evening and the Mother didn’t even pretend to wear a mask, nor did her youngest son...at least Dad acted like he cared and had a gaiter (no pun intended) around his neck...unreal.
    I'd be with you if we could banish them all to a leper colony where they could only get services and treatment and interact with their anti-mask kin.

Of course that won't happen. So these selfish idiots will continue to take away my and others' freedom to live in safety by their cowardly unwillingness to live by the social contract. So let's just call them what they are: terrorists. That smiling mom and doofus kid are terrorists. They are no different than the Taliban. Their idiocity threatens the lives of others. Their fanaticism makes the world unsafe for normal Americans. That is terrorism.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^For me it's not the mask thing. Living in a place that has seen universal mask usage for the last 7 months, with two surges, with the highest case rates of any major urban region in the United States, I can't see masks as the panacea. My wife's office is managing a secret outbreak. Secret because they've decided not to treat it as an outbreak in terms of quarantine protocols and County reporting (outbreak is 3 or more cases in a single location). All three individuals wear masks at all times in their office; all three were wearing masks when in contact with each other. Anyway, they should have cancelled the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    I'd be with you if we could banish them all to a leper colony where they could only get services and treatment and interact with their anti-mask kin.

Of course that won't happen. So these selfish idiots will continue to take away my and others' freedom to live in safety by their cowardly unwillingness to live by the social contract. So let's just call them what they are: terrorists. That smiling mom and doofus kid are terrorists. They are no different than the Taliban. Their idiocity threatens the lives of others. Their fanaticism makes the world unsafe for normal Americans. That is terrorism.
    Jesus dude, they are in a mostly empty stadium, surrounded family or other players' families they know. I think if the people around them were terrified of the "terrorists" they wouldn't be snapping pics with their phones. I'm sure they wore masks when they went to their seats. Fucking Fauci went maskless at the Nationals game after he threw out that sad, sad first pitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all suk. and every mother lovin' one of us, young / old / dumbasses / smarties alike need to be vaccinated without bias full stop.

*that was one of the lamest pitches ever. Will make for excellent cocktail time derision.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-13-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fox View Post
    Jesus dude, they are in a mostly empty stadium, surrounded family or other players' families they know. I think if the people around them were terrified of the "terrorists" they wouldn't be snapping pics with their phones. I'm sure they wore masks when they went to their seats. Fucking Fauci went maskless at the Nationals game after he threw out that sad, sad first pitch.
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The Florida football team will close their 2020 regular season home schedule Saturday when they host the LSU Tigers at 7 p.m. ET inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Fans planning to attend Saturday's matchup should be aware of the university's rules established in accordance with campus guidelines as part of the efforts to mitigate the risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium will be at 20% capacity (+/-17,000) for Saturday's game and fans will be required to social distance themselves with members not in the same household and to wear face coverings at all times when possible. Per the SEC, signage with specific guidelines will be available at all gates and entry points. Florida's full gameday information can be found here.

I read in the official notice from UF that you are to wear your mask at the stadium at all times when possible, whatever “when possible” means...those folks might have a mask in their pockets or up their arses for what its worth.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fox View Post
    Rhetorical hyperbole to make a point. These people - the anti-maskers, the it's-just-the-flu and we-gotta-have-our-football/restaurants/churches crowd - are in their zealotry impinging on the freedom of the citizens of the rest of the country to live safe, healthy lives and are subjecting the working class and front-line'rs to mortality risks they shouldn't have to bear.

And that is to say nothing of the idiots threatening state legislators and governors and private citizens. With that crowd, it isn't hyperbole. They should be treated just like any other enemy of the state or violent criminal - locked up until they are no longer a threat to others and can figure out how to live within the social contract the rest of us adhere to...
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A point of reference: as of today, December 13, there have been 303,000 COVID deaths in the U.S. The total U.S. combat deaths in ALL the wars we participated in during the last 200+ years, starting with the Revolutionary War, is 666,000. We are on track to reach that number well before the end of next year.

Not wearing a mask? Un-American I posit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    A point of reference: as of today, December 13, there have been 303,000 COVID deaths in the U.S. The total U.S. combat deaths in ALL the wars we participated in during the last 200+ years, starting with the Revolutionary War, is 666,000. We are on track to reach that number well before the end of next year.

Not wearing a mask? Un-American I posit.
    American Exceptionalism...kind of.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
    As of 13 December 2020, 14 959 949 cases have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK: France (2 365 319), United Kingdom (1 830 956), Italy (1 825 775), Spain (1 730 575), Germany (1 320 716), Poland (1 126 700), Belgium (603 023), Netherlands (602 878), Czechia (579 079), Romania (551 900), Portugal (344 700), Sweden (320 098), Austria (317 031), Hungary (280 400), Bulgaria (178 952), Croatia (172 523), Slovakia (127 087), Greece (123 842), Denmark (107 116), Slovenia (95 481), Lithuania (93 101), Ireland (75 756), Luxembourg (40 755), Norway (40 022), Finland (30 450), Latvia (25 046), Estonia (17 713), Cyprus (14 800), Malta (11 101), Iceland (5 552) and Liechtenstein (1 502).

As of 13 December 2020, 372 965 deaths have been reported in the EU/EEA and the UK: Italy (64 036), United Kingdom (64 026), France (57 761), Spain (47 624), Poland (22 676), Germany (21 787), Belgium (17 792), Romania (13 264), Netherlands (10 005), Czechia (9 535), Sweden (7 514), Hungary (6 965), Bulgaria (5 626), Portugal (5 461), Austria (4 355), Greece (3 540), Croatia (2 562), Ireland (2 123), Slovenia (1 448), Slovakia (1 122), Denmark (935), Lithuania (815), Finland (453), Luxembourg (392), Norway (387), Latvia (324), Malta (166), Estonia (148), Cyprus (77), Iceland (28) and Liechtenstein (18).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...avirus-deaths/
    As of December 11 2020, a total of 466.6 thousand people have died due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in Latin America and the Caribbean. The country with the highest number was Brazil, reporting more than 179 thousand deaths.
    LAD.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'New variant' of coronavirus identified

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55308211

"Over the last few days, thanks to our world-class genomic capability in the UK, we have identified a new variant of coronavirus which may be associated with the faster spread in the South of England."
    "Initial analysis suggests that this variant is growing faster than the existing variants. We've currently identified over 1,000 cases with this variant predominantly in the south of England although cases have been identified in nearly 60 different local authority areas. And numbers are increasing rapidly."
    "I must stress at this point that there is currently nothing to suggest that this variant is more likely to cause serious disease and the latest clinical advice is that it's highly unlikely that this mutation would fail to respond to a vaccine, but it shows we've got to be vigilant and follow the rules and everyone needs to take personal responsibility not to spread this virus."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a stupid question about the C-19 vaccine:

As best I can recall, every single time I've gotten a flu shot I was sitting in a chair, and the person administering the the injection was also sitting down. However, just about every image I've seen in the news lately (mostly from the shots being given in the UK, and starting today in the US) has shown the nurse or doctor standing and bending over to give the injection. Is this just a coincidence, is my memory playing tricks on me, or is there really a difference here?

Example from a picture in the NYT today - this nurse was one of the very first people in the US to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recall ever having a nurse sit down to give me an injection.