User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Did your wife or your friend get a vaccine later?
    My wife, no. She's sort of in the anti-vax camp, and she might not be old enough to qualify. My friend yes. I could not get him to train less the year he had it, so he never took the time to heal.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall Bandit eh? Hilarious. I wear better sneakers than that to walk my dog ;)

(OT comment) We got the second Shingrix dose yesterday and spent today on the couch watching Star Wars and John Wick. Thrilling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    My logic, at this time:

Risks of perceived permanent disability or death due to COVID > Risks of perceived disability or death due to adverse vaccine reactions

I'll be taking the jab as soon as reasonably possible. Like Zen, I, too, used to be a cog in the pharma machine, and I don't not trust them, nor do I trust them, but I have a basic understanding of how the FDA operates (at least in terms of new drug approvals) and while it's not rock-solid, it's p. good.
    Right? Vaccines are not drugs, we've been doing vaccines for a long while in science. its pretty basic stuff.
    Ill get it asap, My wife will have it by years end. symbolically she will be the "first" in our county.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scheduled to get it week of 12/14 - but who knows.

Pathways are not entirely clear yet. Current main questions (there are many more btw) in our health care system are:
    1) Do people get tested for presence of antibodies first (>50% asymptomatic infections). That would make vaccination not needed and save the vaccine for another person.
    2) As we don't know if vaccinated persons still can be carriers, do we continue to quarantine vaccinated persons after exposure.

Good friend works for Bio'n'tech in Mainz. Good people.
    EU and FDA have mature processes in place for evaluation. Just has been easier to evaluate the vaccine because of the very high infection incidence rates in countries like the US (shorter eval time), but process has been no different than in the past, with the exception of preferential review by governing bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    If you've had shingles, it means that VZV is already in your system. Is the vaccine still effective or meaningful, particularly if the chances of recurrence is only about, I believe, 5%?

I had it about a year ago -- I had chicken pox as a child. My GP prescribed an antiviral, and there was no mention of a vaccine during the consultation.
    For Shingrix, it does not matter whether you've had chicken pox before. For the older pre-Shingrix vaccine, it did.
    I think you can read about it at the CDC web site. They have good info about all vaccines.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vaccine has given people optimism, but where we are now, it's like looking at your phone while walking out into a street. We are going to get hit by a car.

Before any real vaccination programs can begin, we will be north of 400k deaths by end of January with outside chance of 500k. For people who jump up and down about abortion, they really don't give a shit about people dying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in my late 30's, don't have any pre-existing conditions, and am able to work from home effectively. I would gladly take the vaccine the day after it was approved but I don't think it will be available for my risk category for another 6-9 months. Best to give it to the elderly, people that work in healthcare or at nursing homes, or to teachers and other essential workers first.

I would love to be able to hug my parents without worrying about one of us being an asymptomatic carrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    Scheduled to get it week of 12/14 - but who knows.

Pathways are not entirely clear yet. Current main questions (there are many more btw) in our health care system are:
    1) Do people get tested for presence of antibodies first (>50% asymptomatic infections). That would make vaccination not needed and save the vaccine for another person.
    2) As we don't know if vaccinated persons still can be carriers, do we continue to quarantine vaccinated persons after exposure.

Good friend works for Bio'n'tech in Mainz. Good people.
    EU and FDA have mature processes in place for evaluation. Just has been easier to evaluate the vaccine because of the very high infection incidence rates in countries like the US (shorter eval time), but process has been no different than in the past, with the exception of preferential review by governing bodies.
    Please keep us posted on your experience. I'm intensely curious to get your perspective on the process.

...We had (virtual) dinner Saturday with a friend who's recovering from shingles right now. She had a mild case and was completely miserable for a week. Thankfully, her husband had the vaccine.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good roll up regarding the MRNA backstory. Accurate and well noted read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...messenger-rna/

Everyone should take some comfort that this tech. sounds brand spankin' new yet it really is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at the end of the line so why decide now? Hoping for the best for folks but happy to have better optics come decision day. Does that make me a skeptic? No. Pragmatic.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

UK probing if allergic reactions linked to Pfizer vaccine

"In the meantime, the regulator [UK's MHRA - Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency] has issued the warning for anyone who has had a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food. That includes anyone who has been told to carry an adrenaline shot or others who have had potentially fatal allergic reactions."
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 65 years old, so I was one of the first cohort to not fear periodic polio waves--my sis is 8 years my senior and never got polio but her early childhood was haunted by it. I'm a solid believer in vaccines and ever since the contrived controversy about the measles shot have developed a pure raw cold contempt for anti-vaxxers. We should use state game wardens to round 'em up, trank 'em, and inoculate them--just like brown bears! We will NOT get a handle on Covid 19 until we get the kind of herd immunity that is only gained through mass vaccination. I've never worked in medicine (but married to a really smart RN for 30 years) but I have no reason to disbelieve the "medical establishment." They've studied it, worked in it, and generally know what the fuck they're talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard on the news yesterday. One of every eleven Americans are or have been infected by COVID19 AKA "The Rona".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Heard on the news yesterday. One of every eleven Americans are or have been infected by COVID19 AKA "The Rona".
    That is a remarkable statistic.

In other news, our governor, Charlie Baker just unveiled the vaccine allocation. It will be distributed in three phases beginning in a week or so. The first recipients to receive the vaccine in phase one will be the dead. I can't remember who the individuals are who will follow in the second and third phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like living in a well-run state.

Meanwhile the knock-on effect of Thanksgiving is starting to show up locally
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The vaccine has given people optimism, but where we are now, it's like looking at your phone while walking out into a street. We are going to get hit by a car.

Before any real vaccination programs can begin, we will be north of 400k deaths by end of January with outside chance of 500k. For people who jump up and down about abortion, they really don't give a shit about people dying.

I hope people do their best through the holidays to minimize the risks.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 4.05.47 PM.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I would buy that. We're currently sitting at about 15.5M cases. That's about 1 in 20. It's suspected that we have about that number of people who were asymptomatic or had minor enough symptoms that they didn't get checked out.

In South Dakota, just the confirmed cases account for 10% of the population. In North Dakota it's closer to 12%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider all incarcerated individuals and direct contact staff "front line".

DUH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    this

or cruel and unusual punishment
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here in AZ, we're making a solid run towards herd immunity before the vaccine.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com