User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 46 of 94 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    Clapton is Odd
    I see what you did there- chapeau.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clapton is Odd

And by that I mean he is just an awful person
    I don´t know about awfull. More likely an idiot: his outburst made him a hero w/ right wing conspiracy theorists; not the kind of people a rock legend wants to be associated with. Always measure your words. Always.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, he is awful. Racists generally are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man is a huge fan of blues and black guitar players. This makes no sense.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This decision may prove more important than the FDA. State university’s vaccine policy viewed by courts as offering a choice not as forced vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/19/10180...al-judge-rules
    That should only affect schools. Businesses are bound by OSHA to make a concerted effort to protect their employees but still can be held liable if an employee contracts Covid at work. Because of the current shortage of folks willing to work, businesses will be hard pressed to require vaccines and will likely stick to PPE. We had 12 new cases in the past two weeks, all non vaccinated. Next Friday is a vaccine clinic at work, lets see how many show.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did some research and you are actually right.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    That should only affect schools. Businesses are bound by OSHA to make a concerted effort to protect their employees but still can be held liable if an employee contracts Covid at work. Because of the current shortage of folks willing to work, businesses will be hard pressed to require vaccines and will likely stick to PPE. We had 12 new cases in the past two weeks, all non vaccinated. Next Friday is a vaccine clinic at work, lets see how many show.
    State school = state institution. The extension of that definition is where the interest lies in the decision.

I think you are going to start seeing governors losing their patience with the unvaccinated as the numbers climb during their administrations deflating their records on managing the pandemic. GOP and DEM alike.
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-23-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State school = state institution. The extension of that definition is where the interest lies in the decision.

I think you are going to start seeing governors losing their patience with the unvaccinated as the numbers climb during their administrations deflating their records on managing the pandemic. GOP and DEM alike.
    Oh man… if you’re under the impression that state post secondary institutions are governed by the state… it’s not really like that at all. The public schools aren’t even all that beholden to the state government in this area. The folks with the real keys to the car are the local/county health supervisors.

We (k-12 pubic school institution in california) we’re *just* about to lift our “wear a mask in the office rule” three days ago. We are 100% vaccinated at our office (no kids on site here). Then the data and feelings about delta came out and we are back to meeting with health supervisors about what to do now. The unfortunate reality we are probably going to have to accept is that we will not come close to stopping spread/mutations and the best we can hope for long term is minimizing hospitalizations and deaths. We had our chance as a country and we blew it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Oh man… if you’re under the impression that state post secondary institutions are governed by the state… it’s not really like that at all. The public schools aren’t even all that beholden to the state government in this area. The folks with the real keys to the car are the local/county health supervisors.

We (k-12 pubic school institution in california) we’re *just* about to lift our “wear a mask in the office rule” three days ago. We are 100% vaccinated at our office (no kids on site here). Then the data and feelings about delta came out and we are back to meeting with health supervisors about what to do now. The unfortunate reality we are probably going to have to accept is that we will not come close to stopping spread/mutations and the best we can hope for long term is minimizing hospitalizations and deaths. We had our chance as a country and we blew it.
    Whatever the day-to-day reality of state college/university governance, they are state institutions full of state employees. The regulation here applies to students who are not employees - not sure of the final decision on whether teaching assistants are employees or not - but like I said, it will be interesting to see where this decision goes.

In re: my reference to governors losing patience - Alabama Governor Kay Ivey (Republican) just said it was time to start blaming the unvaccinated. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cinated-covid/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whatever the day-to-day reality of state college/university governance, they are state institutions full of state employees. The regulation here applies to students who are not employees - not sure of the final decision on whether teaching assistants are employees or not - but like I said, it will be interesting to see where this decision goes.

In re: my reference to governors losing patience - Alabama Governor Kay Ivey (Republican) just said it was time to start blaming the unvaccinated. https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cinated-covid/
    The AZ governor has been mostly silent. Mohave County, where I live, had 500 cases in the past 7 days. We haven't seen those numbers since mid-January. The largest numbers are 20-40 years old; the young and dumb who believe vaccines are meant to control us. One of my guys said he'd quit if I said anything else about getting vaccinated. I handed him a flyer for the vaccine clinic next week and he wouldn't make eye contact. Maybe a little confrontation is a good thing. These folks don't understand that; a) they could die, b) out sick means no paycheck if they've burned up all their sick and vacation time, c) we'll shut down because we can't fill orders and our customers will go elsewhere, d) it's beyond stupid to suffer through an entirely preventable catastrophic illness.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

40% of new Covid cases in the US are in Florida, Texas, and Missouri.

At least in Missouri the governor has rolled out an incentive program for vaccines.

The governor and legislature in Texas appear preoccupied with proposed racist restrictions on voting.

Meanwhile in Florida, which alone is responsible for 20% of new cases, the governor continues to act like the ambassador to Covid. Maybe he’s hoping they’ll name a variant after him?
    Last edited by thollandpe; 07-24-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

Meanwhile in Florida, which alone is responsible for 20% of new cases, the governor continues to act like the ambassador to Covid. Maybe he’s hoping they’ll name a variant after him?
    He's trying to one up Noem as Governor Super Spreader Champion.

(He has Spring Break, she has Sturgis).

Also: She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie.....Hydroxychloroquine. :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Today is a work day because of supplier issues. Eating my eggo waffles at the table this morning made me think about all the stupid stuff I see on a daily basis. I finished my coffee, took my Hydroxychloroquine (Lupus) and headed to work. IMO, the biggest impact on the spread of Covid is our society. We lack discipline, we only want results. We don't like to tell people "no," so we suffer the consequences of generations that aren't used to following rules. That can shift to the other extreme as well. My generation (b. 1965) was raised by the folks who grew up in the 40s and 50s, the generation after WW2. We got our vaccines because it was good for society, our parents taught us that. This current generation feels like no one can tell them what to do, it's all about them. That is reflected in the data showing the most affected groups. Walking into work this morning, I saw unvaccinated workers with their masks around their chin, wearing earbuds, and all the while being ignored by supervisors. I'm afraid that genie is out of the bottle, a lack of discipline and enforcement of process has created this monster in many parts of society, and we're paying for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Today is a work day because of supplier issues. Eating my eggo waffles at the table this morning made me think about all the stupid stuff I see on a daily basis. I finished my coffee, took my Hydroxychloroquine (Lupus) and headed to work. IMO, the biggest impact on the spread of Covid is our society. We lack discipline, we only want results. We don't like to tell people "no," so we suffer the consequences of generations that aren't used to following rules. That can shift to the other extreme as well. My generation (b. 1965) was raised by the folks who grew up in the 40s and 50s, the generation after WW2. We got our vaccines because it was good for society, our parents taught us that. This current generation feels like no one can tell them what to do, it's all about them. That is reflected in the data showing the most affected groups. Walking into work this morning, I saw unvaccinated workers with their masks around their chin, wearing earbuds, and all the while being ignored by supervisors. I'm afraid that genie is out of the bottle, a lack of discipline and enforcement of process has created this monster in many parts of society, and we're paying for it.
    As part of COVID, BBC has put a lot of their old archived films online. I recently started watching Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' from 1969. A lot of the thinking is seriously dated but their are still some good bits. The part I like is the very first episode where he is discussing how the world went from ROME to several hundred years of dark ages when the clocks seem to have been turned back... He talks about how superstition and dogma replaced reason. I feel social media/media in general is doing that to us now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Covid is the ultimate voter suppression.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    As part of COVID, BBC has put a lot of their old archived films online. I recently started watching Kenneth Clark's 'Civilisation' from 1969. A lot of the thinking is seriously dated but their are still some good bits. The part I like is the very first episode where he is discussing how the world went from ROME to several hundred years of dark ages when the clocks seem to have been turned back... He talks about how superstition and dogma replaced reason. I feel social media/media in general is doing that to us now.
    I have been reading about Rome and the middle ages. The High Middle age had a highly sophisticated elite of priests, like Thomas Aquino who was an aristotelian philosopher, divided in churches which fought the Vatican for legitimacy. Provence, France, was squashed by the Vatican for having a dissident church influenced by Cataros, a strong literary/erotic culture called "Amor Cortes" and a society rulled by Queens and princesses while Kings were fighting the crusades.
    What was lost was a secular state w/ religious tolerance, rulling a big empire: Rome.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I misstated. Accord to the NYT, my county is 67% vaccinated in the 18+ group and 82% in the 65+. Not too bad but there’s room for improvement obviously.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    The man is a huge fan of blues and black guitar players. This makes no sense.
    Precisely.

I recall him expressing some truly disturbing political opinions.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll see how this works out, especially because it will include NYPD.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07...ations-workers
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll see how this works out, especially because it will include NYPD.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07...ations-workers
    At this point, I believe in you reap what you sow. If you didn't get vaccinated, you either legitimately could not for medical reasons, or you didn't want to. If you can't for medical reasons, you going to half to isolate for a while longer, for the rest, let it rip and go for herd immunity the old fashioned way.