User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 45 of 94 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    I think maybe all AD MIL got it at some point?, although maybe it was just potential for OIF or assignment to NSW, but I didn't go to OIF and I got it, and had it as a kid
    Yep, everyone that is going to deploy gets it right before leaving. Then you get to go to Qatar and sit in the pool with 200 others with smallpox sitting under a tiny waterproof bandage. Ruined pools for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    I think maybe all AD MIL got it at some point?, although maybe it was just potential for OIF or assignment to NSW, but I didn't go to OIF and I got it, and had it as a kid
    Guys deployed in the 5th and 6th fleet got it. OIF used six carriers in total, two in the Med, four in 5th fleet. We got them in February 2003 with Shock and Awe kicking off in March.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday I discovered my framebuilding class student had not been vaccinated. This morning it took all my persuasive powers to get him to the local pharmacy to get a J&J shot. I walked there with him to provide moral support. He belongs in that category where his reluctance is based on the fear of the unknown. He had never had a shot before, had heard that sometimes there are bad reactions. When he went online, he read disturbing things. And he wasn't sure where or what he had to do to get the shot. All are motivation killers. I'm the opposite as a teacher, I'm a motivator and determined. He needed to get his shot and the advantages outweighed the disadvantages.

My wife is a nurse and works in a fairly large SW Michigan hospital network. She brought home their Covid statistics last week for the 3 month period April to June. 350-some unvaccinated had been admitted and of those 29 had died. 20 some vaccinated had been admitted into one of the SW Michigan hospitals and none of them had died. Also they were on average less sick. These should be pretty persuasive statistics.

So it is understandable that one can be hesitant for the same reasons my student had been reluctant. He didn't have any strong objections but yet the uncomfortableness of the unknown (it might hurt, I might get sick and I don't want to right now) can kill motivation. This situation reminded me that sometimes it is possible for us to push enough buttons to get the reluctant over the hump by saying "I'll help you do this. I'll find a place, I'll go with you, let's go now"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it takes a village, glad your were that villager for him. may he pay it forward

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my zip code is almost 80% vaccinated , my company 90%
    Not sure how that compares with other nearby communities and companies but I feel that's way above average -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    my zip code is almost 80% vaccinated , my company 90%
    Not sure how that compares with other nearby communities and companies but I feel that's way above average -Mike G
    Is there a map where we can check this based on zip code?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Is there a map where we can check this based on zip code?
    JUST GOOGLE. I FOUND THIS

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/...-vaccines.page

THERE ARE OTHER PAGES

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    JUST GOOGLE. I FOUND THIS

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/...-vaccines.page

THERE ARE OTHER PAGES
    My county appears to be 57% vaccinated. Lower than I would have expected sadly.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My county is at 67% full vaccination. The county is composed of Madison and the immediate towns (all of which with presumably high vaccination rates) and rural areas that surround the urban areas. Last time I checked, the county apparently has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country (as in top-10). Right now, it's about one of the only places where my wife and I wouldn't be too bothered about spending 2 hours eating indoors in a restaurant. That said, we may take a different assessment a month down the road. Even with 67% full vaccination, the positivity rate has climbed up from ~0.5% a month ago to ~1.5% now.

Both of us remain masked indoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems in America we do the right thing but only after we exhaust all other possibilities -Mike G

Texas Steps Up Vaccine Campaign (10:33 a.m. NY)
    In response to surging caseloads and hospitalizations, Texas is dispatching people to Walmarts around the state to encourage younger people to get vaccinations inside. It’s the state’s first proactive step to expand vaccination since they sent mobile medical units to nursing homes and slaughterhouses last year when the virus first raged.
    The drive aims for pop-up vaccination “rallies” at 18 Walmart outlets.
    Although three-fourths of Texans that are 65 and older have been vaccinated, just 40% of those aged 18 to 34 have gotten shots, the state health department said in a statement on Thursday. For 12- to 17-year-olds, the rate is 26%. Most new cases in the second-largest U.S. state have been traced to the delta variant, according to the health department.
    “Hospitalizations for Covid-19 are now rising across all age groups,” Texas Health Commissioner Dr. John Hellerstedt said in the statement. “While fewer young people get very sick, they can get and spread the virus, and we are still learning about the long-term effects.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    My county is at 67% full vaccination. The county is composed of Madison and the immediate towns (all of which with presumably high vaccination rates) and rural areas that surround the urban areas. Last time I checked, the county apparently has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country (as in top-10). Right now, it's about one of the only places where my wife and I wouldn't be too bothered about spending 2 hours eating indoors in a restaurant. That said, we may take a different assessment a month down the road. Even with 67% full vaccination, the positivity rate has climbed up from ~0.5% a month ago to ~1.5% now.

Both of us remain masked indoors.
    I was looking at for the age group of 12 and up. new york county is about 64.5 including everyone 71.5 when you exclude the under 12 which can't by law

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My county is back up to January numbers with regards to new cases. Except for this time, it's the younger crowd that is getting the Delta variant. Cases are up, deaths are down because of the ages of the infected. Mohave County is at 38.5%, the only thing we have working for us is the widely spread population. We're having another shot clinic at work next week. We're quickly heading towards mandating shots for employment.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    We're quickly heading towards mandating shots for employment.
    I see mandatory COVID vaccinations happening much more broadly when the vaccines receive full FDA approval. It's clear that the vaccines are working to prevent serious illness and death. Once they have full FDA approval, it's one less excuse for those who are vaccine-hesitant or anti-vaccination.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    I see mandatory COVID vaccinations happening much more broadly when the vaccines receive full FDA approval. It's clear that the vaccines are working to prevent serious illness and death. Once they have full FDA approval, it's one less excuse for those who are vaccine-hesitant or anti-vaccination.

Greg
    The reluctant around here don't care about FDA approval, they're more concerned about the chip and set of magnets that get injected. You'll stick to ferrous metal objects while being tracked by the gubmint. Companies will be able to require vaccines much in the same way they require drug testing, it's about workplace safety. IMO, allowing the vaccinated work without masks while requiring the unvaccinated to wear one is causing even more angst. It's us versus them. I do enjoy not wearing a mask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The reluctant around here don't care about FDA approval, they're more concerned about the chip and set of magnets that get injected.snip]
    New answer for the chip theory fans, it is for voter id#, Chip n' Vote.
    Stop the Steal with the Chip!

Stick two conspiracy theories together and they cancel out, like algebra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My county is at 50% I would guess my workplace is less than that.

Current workplace policy is fully vaccinated can forego wearing mask, but company won't ask for proof. This week 2 employees tested positive and 8 employees were contact traced. Only 1 employee had been fully vaccinated, and none of the employees had been wearing masks. New policy is, still won't require proof of vaccination unless contact trace due to exposure to positive employee. If contact tracing is required, you are not vaccinated and haven't been wearing a mask, you are immediately suspended without pay for two weeks. I have a feeling we will all be wearing masks again in the very near future.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This decision may prove more important than the FDA. State university’s vaccine policy viewed by courts as offering a choice not as forced vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/19/10180...al-judge-rules
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-23-2021 at 05:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there's this...

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/22/10192...uirement-shows

Apparently had a bad reaction to the Astra vaccine...

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Then there's this...

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/22/10192...uirement-shows

Apparently had a bad reaction to the Astra vaccine...

SPP
    From the article:

"Following the PM's announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021, I feel honor bound to make an announcement of my own: I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present," Clapton wrote.

So... wait. You won't perform on any stage where the unvaccinated are present? Or on any stage where the unvaccinated are not present? I'm confused and you need a spokesperson.
    "Discriminated" - oh yes, when I think of "discriminated" groups of people throughout history, the unvaccinated are at the top of the list. I mean, they're the real victims here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clapton is Odd

And by that I mean he is just an awful person