User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 41 of 94 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    Dang, she beats Rand Paul on the wacko meter. Impressive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...classic-iphone
    Must have something to do with the steel plate in her head...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First C19 shot today. Astra Zeneca, the clotting killer...........

Now 5 hours elapsed and I still have no 5G effect............

But seriously, I've been eligible (Australia) for 8 weeks and it took 7 weeks of scouring the net and phoning three different places daily to finally get a booking.

First world problem BUT a delay for the first shot I can live with but I'll be fairly pissed off if I can't make a booking for the scheduled booster in 12 weeks time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the vaccine magnetized me. I would love to go on a date with someone who appreciates my clearly non-magnetic personality.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    Dang, she beats Rand Paul on the wacko meter. Impressive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...classic-iphone
    An osteopath. Hardly a medical doctor, thank God.

And yet, she's given the opportunity to speak in legitimate forums. Tragic.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by open roader View Post
    First C19 shot today. Astra Zeneca, the clotting killer...........

Now 5 hours elapsed and I still have no 5G effect............

But seriously, I've been eligible (Australia) for 8 weeks and it took 7 weeks of scouring the net and phoning three different places daily to finally get a booking.

First world problem BUT a delay for the first shot I can live with but I'll be fairly pissed off if I can't make a booking for the scheduled booster in 12 weeks time.
    12 weeks?!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    12 weeks?!
    The interval between first and second doses with the Astra Zeneca vaccine is 12 weeks. Pfizer recommendation is 3 weeks, Moderna is 4 weeks, but there is some evidence that they all work well if not better with a slightly longer interval.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    The interval between first and second doses with the Astra Zeneca vaccine is 12 weeks. Pfizer recommendation is 3 weeks, Moderna is 4 weeks, but there is some evidence that they all work well if not better with a slightly longer interval.
    I'm getting my second dose of Pfizer/BioNTech 5 weeks after the first.

Over here, they are administering AZ vax only to those 65 years and older. We asked the older but impossibly stylish couple who live two doors down from us whether they got their jabs already, and they replied, "Yes, but we got the cheap one!", meaning AZ. We cracked up.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    An osteopath. Hardly a medical doctor, thank God.

And yet, she's given the opportunity to speak in legitimate forums. Tragic.
    On a literal level, you are right; but DOs are allowed to practice medicine. Being a DO isn't the issue that disqualifies her; being unhinged is.

There are wacko MDs as well, look no further than Sen. Paul (and perhaps his dad)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Today hasn't been fun. Probably shouldn't have come to the office. Feel like I've been plowed into by a truck.

I really can't believe how bad my arm hurts. Was not expecting that. Kept me up all night.
    I've been peeing non-stop.
    4hr cycle of ibuprofen and acetaminophen has kept the headache at bay, but I can feel it just waiting to pounce.

Hoping tomorrow is better. Supposed to be officiating my first race.
    I know how you feel!! I got my second jab yesterday (Pfizer) and felt like absolute crap last night….. today not a whole lot better!! Hopefully it passes in another 24 hours. Definitely won’t be on the bike today!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
    I know how you feel!! I got my second jab yesterday (Pfizer) and felt like absolute crap last night….. today not a whole lot better!! Hopefully it passes in another 24 hours. Definitely won’t be on the bike today!!!
    I ended up being down 48hrs. After that, it was like nothing happened. Weird.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    12 weeks?!
    Yes, Astra Zeneca administered in Australia requires a 12 week split between initial shot and the booster shot.

Today feeling a bit off colour, might be the vax. or it might be the fact I pushed hard yesterday to get a day's work done before lunchtime in order to get the vaccine after lunch. Nothing major, just below par.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I wish the vaccine magnetized me. I would love to go on a date with someone who appreciates my clearly non-magnetic personality.
    I had a girlfriend who claimed she had magnetic powers on account of her propensity to scramble laptop hard drives. This was before everything came with a SSD. Then one day I saw her stuffing the macbook into her purse. The purse with a heavy magnetic catch. I didn't have the heart to tell her she didn't have a superpower.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the J&J one shot in early May. Not because of the single dose but 'cause it was a late comer and tested on the variants in Europe and South Africa. Nothing other than some itching at the injection site.

Earlier this month a co-worker went to a wedding in Chicago. Flew instead of driving. I told him flying was a bad idea. He replied "I'm vaccinated" and went anyways. Came back and exposed the entire shop to Covid-19. Sat next to me at lunch too. I'm fine no symptoms. Guess it works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This morning I got a sticker on my security badge saying I was fully vaccinated. Off went the mask, it was very liberating.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've now had both Pfizer shots. Given the ramshackle way the vaccine roll out has happened in Australia I feel fortunate to have been vaccinated at all. In terms of side effects (and I had both shots on Sunday evenings) I felt fine the morning after the first shot, but gradually became tired and lethargic over the course of the day. This was cured by some sleep. The morning after the second shot, my arm was sore and that was it. But gradually over the course of the day my body started to hurt and I had the chills. Some Nurofen and a sleep helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    I had the J&J one shot in early May. Not because of the single dose but 'cause it was a late comer and tested on the variants in Europe and South Africa. Nothing other than some itching at the injection site.

Earlier this month a co-worker went to a wedding in Chicago. Flew instead of driving. I told him flying was a bad idea. He replied "I'm vaccinated" and went anyways. Came back and exposed the entire shop to Covid-19. Sat next to me at lunch too. I'm fine no symptoms. Guess it works for me.
    So was he actually vaccinated? The vaccines are supposed to prevent transmission as well as infection. Or did he travel too soon after vaccination, before his immunities were at full strength?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FINALLY the 99-year-old mother-in-law got her first Pfizer vaccine dose, on the heals of discharge from a eight day hospital stay. She's in rehab at our house for the next month. It's taken all of her sons insisting she was going from discharge directly to dose #1 . She'll get dose #2 while with us and a real hair cut after that. She had no noticeable ill effects from it other than she finally had a full night of sleep (but then who wouldn't after a run of days at the hospital).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I've now had both Pfizer shots. Given the ramshackle way the vaccine roll out has happened in Australia I feel fortunate to have been vaccinated at all. In terms of side effects (and I had both shots on Sunday evenings) I felt fine the morning after the first shot, but gradually became tired and lethargic over the course of the day. This was cured by some sleep. The morning after the second shot, my arm was sore and that was it. But gradually over the course of the day my body started to hurt and I had the chills. Some Nurofen and a sleep helped.
    Good thing you got the Pfizer-BioNTech ones. I'm having my second dose of Comirnaty at the start of next month.

My buddy in Sydney had his first AZ dose a few weeks ago, but the with the Delta variant having arrived on your shores and AZ's median efficacy against the Delta variant at only about 60%, he's not exactly pleased.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So was he actually vaccinated? The vaccines are supposed to prevent transmission as well as infection. Or did he travel too soon after vaccination, before his immunities were at full strength?
    No comment on this particular situation, but case reports are published quite regularly of so-called "breakthrough cases" (I'm not an obsessive, I do this kind of research/reading for work). Remember, 90% efficacy is a) not universal re: age, condition, viral strain etc. and b) still 10% not-effective. If you're part of that unlucky 10% and have a significant exposure episode (e.g. viral dosage) you can still get sick and transmit. Also, those % values most often published are "XX% effective at preventing severe disease" which is not the same efficacy against carrying the virus, suffering from mild symptoms, or transmitting the virus. Those efficacy values are different.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    No comment on this particular situation, but case reports are published quite regularly of so-called "breakthrough cases" (I'm not an obsessive, I do this kind of research/reading for work). Remember, 90% efficacy is a) not universal re: age, condition, viral strain etc. and b) still 10% not-effective. If you're part of that unlucky 10% and have a significant exposure episode (e.g. viral dosage) you can still get sick and transmit. Also, those % values most often published are "XX% effective at preventing severe disease" which is not the same efficacy against carrying the virus, suffering from mild symptoms, or transmitting the virus. Those efficacy values are different.
    J and I chatted about the article below. He may have summarized the convo in the other Covid thread.

What Really Happened With that Weird Yankees COVID Outbreak
    By David Wallace-Wells

Last week, in very short order, eight members of the New York Yankees, all of whom were apparently “fully” vaccinated, tested positive for COVID-19, confusing and alarming many Americans — not to mention Yankee fans — who had assumed that vaccination would close the book on the pandemic, at least for the vaccinated. Michael Mina, however, was not confused or alarmed. A Harvard epidemiologist who has spent the pandemic advocating for the widespread use of home-pregnancy-style rapid antigen tests, Mina has become, over the past year, one of the most clear-eyed critics of the public-health establishment and the COVID messaging that has emerged from it.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...-outbreak.html

IIRC, Dr. Michael Mina argues that asymptomatic infections in the vaccinated (and unvaccinated) shouldn't be considered contagious. High cycle thresholds and all that. CDC seems to be following this logic as they no longer track non-hospitalized "breakthrough" cases. Question is how are mild (formerly) breakthrough cases different than any mild Covid-19 case, ie, if you're a non-vaccinated person infected by a vaccinated individual who shows mild symptoms (or none at all) will you have a better outcome than being infected by a non-vaccinated "healthy" individual?