User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    * One hr. later not dead yet.

Paul, what you said as well as a shared responsibility. Yes?
    Yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To put a rest to the Shingles vaccine.
    I had Shingles on my face and half my head in 2014.
    I nearly lost my sight in one eye.
    Significant scarring to the left side of my face.
    To this day shaving reduces me to tears.
    And cold damp weather makes me feel like my head will explode.
    The pain was excruciating and continues to be after 6 years.
    Take the vaccine if you are older. It's side effects are milder than the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just had another meeting on the Pfizer vaccination. Our small organization(city owned hospital and clinic system) with about 750 employees will get 500-975 doses. A boost dose will be done 21 days after the first round. By then we'll have additional doses available. We do a mass dispensing drill every year to prep for these moments. I'll get the vaccination without hesitation. Side note, Dr. Romero, head of ACIP (group helping make vaccination/distribution decisions), was my peds ID mentor at UNMC in Nebraska for residency. Great human being, great mind, and very thorough/compassionate about health.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    We just had another meeting on the Pfizer vaccination. Our small organization(city owned hospital and clinic system) with about 750 employees will get 500-975 doses. A boost dose will be done 21 days after the first round. By then we'll have additional doses available. We do a mass dispensing drill every year to prep for these moments. I'll get the vaccination without hesitation. Side note, Dr. Romero, head of ACIP (group helping make vaccination/distribution decisions), was my peds ID mentor at UNMC in Nebraska for residency. Great human being, great mind, and very thorough/compassionate about health.
    When can you expect to receive these doses? Curious, as is everyone, to how quickly this will be rolled out to those first recipients.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12/21/20 is the expected distribution date. Large organizations are trying to pull as much of the supply as possible. At least that is our take here in small town Minnesota. The vaccine lasts ten days properly stored. We are also getting requests from other small institutions to share overstock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious to know how this vaccine will be shipped and stored. The low temperature requirement must cause a lot of problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Covid vaccine: I'll be there when my "cohort" is approved to go.
    Some discomfort from the immunization is to be expected.
    Bottom line while there can be side-effects, ill-effects, adverse reactions to all meds and vaccines I believe they are important and make our lives safer. H3ll, I have had stuff put through my veins that can cause cardiac issues later in life and other treatments but I willingly traded those potential risks to hopefully banish a more likely killer. It could still kill me but I've had some good years and am hoping for more...so wear the darn mask and get your vaccine.

These new vaccines won't have the 3+ year trials to see if there are long-term or delayed reactions but being healthy (and potentially alive) is a fair trade. Living with this "invisible" foe as we have for months now, it's well past time to mask up, distance, etc. Get vaccine in us and be able to gather together again for rides, and see family and friends.

BTW, if you haven't done it, get the shingles one now and it's worth paying for if you need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent most of the day sleeping off the effects of the two vaccines I had yesterday. Time well spent.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I type I'm a confirmed COVID positive along with my adult son. We did not get my wife tested but she is assumed positive. 9 days in this has been on e of the most mild sickness for all of us. Fatigue is really the only issue. Were it not COVID, I would not have chosen to miss more than a day or 2 of work. That said, I'll get in line for the vaccination as soon as I can. I'm pretty sure I infected at least 1 coworker. He also has had mild symptoms. However this thing has sent at least 1 friend in my age group and general health condition to the ICU. I will get vaccinated for the 1 in 10,000 it wipes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    As I type I'm a confirmed COVID positive along with my adult son. We did not get my wife tested but she is assumed positive. 9 days in this has been on e of the most mild sickness for all of us. Fatigue is really the only issue. Were it not COVID, I would not have chosen to miss more than a day or 2 of work. That said, I'll get in line for the vaccination as soon as I can. I'm pretty sure I infected at least 1 coworker. He also has had mild symptoms. However this thing has sent at least 1 friend in my age group and general health condition to the ICU. I will get vaccinated for the 1 in 10,000 it wipes out.
    Thanks for that. Feel better soon my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post

BTW, if you haven't done it, get the shingles one now and it's worth paying for if you need to. [/COLOR]
    I had no idea there was a shingles vaccine. I had a flare up many years ago in university during exams, and it was unpleasant to say the least. I'll have to look into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atul Gawande on Coronavirus Vaccines and Prospects for Ending the Pandemic

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-n...wgLz7ypxsImwLo
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll get one when it's my turn. My cardiologist told me that if he were me, he would, and that I'll be in one of the early waves. I never took his advise when he told me to take it easy but I will take his advice on this and set aside my distrust of everything big-pharma. Hopefully a non profit will come up with a vaccine for the later waves and for round two onward.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted "Yes," mostly because I think I'll be far enough down the line that if there are any serious short-term issues or side-effects with it I'm guessing that they'll be obvious by then.

Of course you can never tell long-term, but the same it true with COVID itself, which apparently does cause some "long haul" effects for a non-negligible percentage of people who get it and never quite recover, or at least not haven't fully recovered yet. (see link below for more info on that)

https://nyti.ms/3oqfz3K

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Atul Gawande on Coronavirus Vaccines and Prospects for Ending the Pandemic

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-n...wgLz7ypxsImwLo
    I need a moment to say exactly what I mean. There are no words I can repeat here which convey how craven is the current administrations handling of this crisis.
    Thanks for the article, it touched a nerve. I'm now reminded what thoughtful and decisive govt. may look like.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-05-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you've had shingles, it means that VZV is already in your system. Is the vaccine still effective or meaningful, particularly if the chances of recurrence is only about, I believe, 5%?

I had it about a year ago -- I had chicken pox as a child. My GP prescribed an antiviral, and there was no mention of a vaccine during the consultation.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    If you've had shingles, it means that VZV is already in your system. Is the vaccine still effective or meaningful, particularly if the chances of recurrence is only about, I believe, 5%?

I had it about a year ago -- I had chicken pox as a child. My GP prescribed an antiviral, and there was no mention of a vaccine during the consultation.
    My wife has had shingles repeatedly. A friend had it for a year- likely why he came in second in the Nationals.

Once burned, twice shy.

Too Tall, what's with this?

‘Too Tall Bandit,’ Wanted in 15 Robberies, Has Struck Again, F.B.I. Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/u...gtype=Homepage
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I read that the likelihood of getting shingles is about 5%. So, same as the chance of recurrence. I'm not sure if that means that your chances of getting shingles a second time is 1 in 2500 or still 1 in 20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    My wife has had shingles repeatedly. A friend had it for a year- likely why he came in second in the Nationals.

Once burned, twice shy.

Too Tall, what's with this?

‘Too Tall Bandit,’ Wanted in 15 Robberies, Has Struck Again, F.B.I. Says

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/u...gtype=Homepage
    Did your wife or your friend get a vaccine later?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another thread, Toots said something about having a bad day...
    Chikashi Miyamoto