User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 34 of 94 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Yesterday I got my first shot at the FEMA mass vaccination site in Greenbelt, MD. It’s the Pfizer option.

They run a tight ship and move people through quickly.
    55C15E96-99C1-450F-9696-C58CB4A68F68.jpeg please rotate your head 90 degrees CCW to view the image.
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sh!T Happens

Pfizer #2 completed 24 hours ago. I'm an insensitive SOB - ask my friends and family. Accordingly, I've had fewer side effects from the second shot than the first. I have a slight bruise and tenderness at the injection site, but no fever or lethargy. I rode for 90 minutes last night at a moderate pace and plan 2-3 hours in the hills after work today. My siblings had similar (lack of) reactions to their second shots. Yay for genetics! I hope other forum readers/contributors have similar positive experiences.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    What Vertical Doug said. Logarithmically greater chance of getting hit by lightning (or some random unfortunate fatal event - say, a mall shooting, getting killed on your next ride by a texting teenager) than getting TTP or cavernous sinus thrombosis from JNJ vaccine. Unfortunate that we'll waste a few weeks in the vaccine campaign and that this will give undue voice to the tinfoil hats. I'm already Moderna'd, but I'd take JNJ tomorrow without a second thought if I weren't.

And as a 50 something guy, I would too.
    But if I were a 40 year old woman and both were readily available I would take an mRNA vaccine.
    We may want to prioritize certain shots for different groups of people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry- My shots were Moderna.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Which brand of vaccine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    And as a 50 something guy, I would too.
    But if I were a 40 year old woman and both were readily available I would take an mRNA vaccine.
    We may want to prioritize certain shots for different groups of people.
    A logical response, and the prioritization would be science based. Drugs with risks (and associated mitigations) have been part of medicine forever. Reminds me of the warning on Isotretinoin (Accutane). Nobody bats an eye anymore at the risks associated with that drug. Unfortunately, in our highly polarized, politicized society, effective science and medicine will likely take a back seat to conspiracy theories and unsound opinions...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    The U.S. is haunted by the failed roll-out of the first operation warp speed vaccine rolled out under Gerald Ford. There were a few unexplained heart attacks but arguably the anti-vax movement was born. There's another explanation in that the first rule of medicine is to first do no harm so a temporary pause where they look for risk factors that may have contributed or were the true actual cause probably makes sense. Best I can tell is anyone that was scheduled for JNJ will now get Pfizer instead. -Mike G
    The J&J was ideal for the homeless and elderly shut-ins, folks that might not get a second shot. It's all regional, in my county, almost all vaccines were Moderna and J&J. I wish the decision was to not give it to the affected group while allowing others to receive it.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The J&J was ideal for the homeless and elderly shut-ins, folks that might not get a second shot.
    It would have been ideal to deploy using tranquilizer darts, shot from the back of pickups like Louisiana law enforcement eradicating nutria, on the unmasked and unvaccinated crowds of Spring Break partygoers and/or motorcycle rallies in Florida. One and done!

Walter

Calmer than you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...folks that might not get a second shot.
    I know in New York they were counting on the J&J for college students, I assume for this very reason.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I know in New York they were counting on the J&J for college students, I assume for this very reason.

SPP
    At this point in the semester, school will finish before many students can get a second shot. It was just much easier to get the herd vaccinate one and done before May and recess.

On a personal note, after trying for 2 months to get a in-home visit for my mother who is a shut-in, we had finally managed to get a JNJ vaccine scheduled for Thursday. After the CDC failed to reach a decision today, the appointment was cancelled. I am extremely bummed.

Now my Dad who has been watching the talking heads on TV thinks Mom should not get the JNJ shot. I hate TV reporters and doctors.

Fortunately, my dad and caregivers have all been vaccinated, but my mom who is the most vulnerable will still stay at risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    At this point in the semester, school will finish before many students can get a second shot. It was just much easier to get the herd vaccinate one and done before May and recess.

On a personal note, after trying for 2 months to get a in-home visit for my mother who is a shut-in, we had finally managed to get a JNJ vaccine scheduled for Thursday. After the CDC failed to reach a decision today, the appointment was cancelled. I am extremely bummed.

Now my Dad who has been watching the talking heads on TV thinks Mom should not get the JNJ shot. I hate TV reporters and doctors.

Fortunately, my dad and caregivers have all been vaccinated, but my mom who is the most vulnerable will still stay at risk.
    that stinks doug to be so close and have it taken away at the last moment. i hope your mom can get another appointment quickly so you can have that done.

as for me, day 2 post J&J shot, i feel a lot better, but definitely not "normal" hopefully tomorrow it will all be out of my system and definitely up for a good ride this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearly 12 hours in from Dose #2 and nothing but a sore arm. I had a reasonable 90 minute ride this afternoon after replacing my chain, cassette and lubing (with NFS grease of course) the pulleys on the now-ancient Look 585 Ultra. Bike feels like new, which is good, because it was Ultra good a decade+ ago. I feel like a 50 lb heavier and 29-year older version of my former self. In other words. I could be faster. I could also be dust in Lake Michigan, which I’m not. So I’ve got that going for me.

I expect a fever tomorrow, along with extreme hallucinations and fever dreams. Let’s see what happens.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Nearly 12 hours in from Dose #2 and nothing but a sore arm. I had a reasonable 90 minute ride this afternoon after replacing my chain, cassette and lubing (with NFS grease of course) the pulleys on the now-ancient Look 585 Ultra. Bike feels like new, which is good, because it was Ultra good a decade+ ago. I feel like a 50 lb heavier and 29-year older version of my former self. In other words. I could be faster. I could also be dust in Lake Michigan, which I’m not. So I’ve got that going for me.

I expect a fever tomorrow, along with extreme hallucinations and fever dreams. Let’s see what happens.
    I had #2 yesterday and felt tired yesterday. Today, I made it to noon before I headed home with what felt like the flu. I took some naps and feel much better. I had Moderna.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had #2 yesterday and felt tired yesterday. Today, I made it to noon before I headed home with what felt like the flu. I took some naps and feel much better. I had Moderna.
    I also had Moderna. So far, so good.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pfizer shot #1 today. Sore arm, but no other side affects / symptoms.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-15-2021 at 08:51 AM.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just catching up on my Congratulations to everyone thus far.

Blow guns? I'm in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrs. RW and I punched both tickets and the kids have been through round one. All Pfizers except for yours truly, as I received the Moderna jab...that generated a bit of a laugh among the family I’m the only one that had any kind of reaction too, essentially chills, sore arm and tired as hell for the second day. I’ll take that inconvenience any day, over the alternatives at this point. Keep on truckin’ folks.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A day out from the Moderna second shot and I’m essentially free of side effects. I’ve been waiting for the hammer to fall and so far nothing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been very fortunate and so far had little to no side effects. At the 30 hour mark after Pfizer shot #2 , I rode a hilly 2+ hour ride. It was chilly, breezy, and cloudy, but it felt great to be outside. I was a bit off form, but the chilly temps and lots of work stress were much more likely reasons for the "meh" performance. I'm coming up on the 48 hour mark with nothing more than a bruise at the injection site. Hope everyone else has similar good experiences!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been 24 hours since my 2nd Pfizer shot. I don't feel great but not terrible. However I just took a couple of Tylenols my wife left out on the counter for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got moderna #2 yesterday and I'm flattened today. Temp of 101.2. Science is amazing.