User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 31 of 94 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Here in MA the process is: sign up on the State website and wait, which I did. When my cohort was called up and the notice came it took a brief while to get an appointment. The only glitch was every time one answered the prompts to find there wasn't an appointment at the day and time you wished the entire process of answering the prompts had to be repeated. I drove an hour to a dilapidated mall and was back in the car in twenty-five minutes. Very well-run operation. Arriving at the end of the day the site wasn't the least bit crowded.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess the question is what can we, in good conscience, do after we have had our second shots? I get mine on Wednesday and I know they say efficacy takes about two weeks following the second.

I'm a bit concerned about the sheer number of people who say they aren't getting any vaccine.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised to read about the high rate of vaccine refusal by active military...30% on average, depending on the base that has been surveyed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/19/polit...ons/index.html

"As you go down in tier, the refusal rate goes up," the first source explained. "The real refusal rate is probably higher than one-third once we properly offer it to everyone [on base] and once we have to document everyone," the source said, noting that there were some units that had a far higher acceptance rate. The depressed vaccine acceptance rate is driven largely by a hesitancy among younger service members. Officials who spoke to CNN say younger troops generally feel Covid-19 poses little risk to them. The lower rate is more widespread than a single unit or region.

The Adjutant General of the Nebraska National Guard said earlier this month the vaccine had "overall about a 30% take rate." The Washington National Guard had a marginally better 39% opt-in rate, according to the state's Adjutant General. There is also a stark difference between the enlisted and officer rate of accepting the vaccine, according to one of source who spoke on condition of anonymity. While only 30% of officers opted out of the vaccine in the source's covered region, more than 55% of enlisted service members turned it down. Enlisted service members make up more than 80% of the military.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a "high risk" neighborhood and due to my age (turn 50 this week) was able to get my first shot last Thursday. I ended up with moderna as that is what they were giving the day I went. The strategy here (Ontario, Canada) is to now try and get as many first shots into people as possible so my second shot is not scheduled until the end of July.

Arm still is pretty achy and was a bit under the weather for 3 days, but all in all not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case, being 2 weeks out from the 2nd shot means little. I still wear a mask, stay apart from people, the big change is we are socializing with friends more but I guess it is self-selecting because our friends pretty much approach it the way we are.

It makes me a little nuts that people are refusing the vaccine because it won't affect them. Well, what about all the people around you, bucko? You good with screwing them up because you can't be bothered? Another thing is the long term effects. You really want to f-up your heart muscle and your brain? Take it from me, that sucks. Years ago I had to take Adriamycin among some other fun little chemicals or drop dead from lymphoma. Trade off is now they watch my heart waiting for that thing to crap out. It gets annoying after a while. These dorks saying Oh, I'll be fine have no idea.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    So I guess the question is what can we, in good conscience, do after we have had our second shots? I get mine on Wednesday and I know they say efficacy takes about two weeks following the second.
    I've been pondering this too. My initial reaction is that for the first time in nearly 18 months, I can gather with my mother, sisters, and their immediate families for a traditional, unmasked dinner (on Mothers Day). By that time, we all will have been fully vaccinated. Likewise, I am hoping that (state and local mandates permitting), we can start having in-person meetings at work if all participants are fully vaccinated. Most of my cycling friends are getting the shots, so small group rides will be in my plans again. Beyond these kinds of instances, I don't think much changes for a while. The virus will still be circulating in the general population and herd immunity is (IMO) a long way off. Masks and distance will be the order of the day for months-to-years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about the sheer number of people who say they aren't getting any vaccine.
    I believe that COVID vaccinations are not (yet) mandatory in the US military. The military is a bit of a microcosm of US society as a whole. Some will jump to get the vaccine, others will continue to deny COVID and take comfort in conspiracy theories. Younger people will continue to believe they are immortal and bulletproof (as I did in my 20s...). It will be interesting to see if the DoD at some point makes COVID vaccinations mandatory.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thinking on it, i cant think of anyone i know in real life who is refusing to get the shot.

for me that means post vaccine and waiting period, i will impose few restrictions on myself beyond what has become social norms. i cant see any harm in going to a dinner party or other social gathering with other full vaccinated people. of course i still expect to have to wear a mask to home depot and it's still going to be a while before we go back to elbow to elbow happy hours in divey NYC bars, but aside from that, regular life should be a little easier to bear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family holds four tickets at the football field in Green Bay and my brother, who has been extremely cautious the past 14 months or so, plans to attend games in person this fall. I plan to join him as I have been doing for years. Of course, this decision will be based on common sense at the time. This particular stadium is very tight seating so we’ll see what happens. I certainly hope we can get back to seeing NFL games in person without feeling like we’re being irresponsible.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning to fly to CA after my second, primarily to visit two elderly relatives. Checking flight times and prices, they climb steeply toward the window two weeks on from my second, and I wonder whether I should go more or less immediately after the second dose. I have physical on Wednesday and will ask my doctor.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most common misperception I hear is that the mRNA vaccine alters your genetics.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those of you who've been (or are getting vaccinated) but also have young children, what are your thoughts on "returning to normal" before kids are vaccinated?
    My wife and I have both had two jabs, our kids are recently back in school full time masked (substantially all teachers/staff vaxxed). But there are drumbeats for me to get back to traveling (I'm in real estate), and I do worry about bringing something back from my travels unintentionally.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I am planning to fly to CA after my second, primarily to visit two elderly relatives. Checking flight times and prices, they climb steeply toward the window two weeks on from my second, and I wonder whether I should go more or less immediately after the second dose. I have physical on Wednesday and will ask my doctor.
    My $0.02: commercial airline flying has not been a source of COVID transmission since the very start of the pandemic. Many co-workers and one of my sisters have been regular flyers throughout the pandemic. I believe the airlines are being very vigilant enforcing mask mandates. I'm far more concerned about social settings where people ignore COVID protocols and party on like there isn't a world-wide pandemic.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Those of you who've been (or are getting vaccinated) but also have young children, what are your thoughts on "returning to normal" before kids are vaccinated?
    My wife and I have both had two jabs, our kids are recently back in school full time masked (substantially all teachers/staff vaxxed). But there are drumbeats for me to get back to traveling (I'm in real estate), and I do worry about bringing something back from my travels unintentionally.
    my kids have not been in-person school since last march, and almost certainly wont be back until September.

that said, all bets are off once they go back to school. you have no way of knowing what each other kids circle is doing or what precautions they are taking, and kids mingle and share everything. like, zero containment at that point.

my thoughts are that kids are in such a low low risk group that there is very little we can actively do, realistically speaking to reduce their risk even further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you accommodate the possibility of variants, all of which appear to be more highly transmissible than the original form for which the vaccines were formulated?

If the parents are vaccinated and children are not, don't the kids become variant canaries? Seems like some level of behavior modification is still a good idea.

Low risk is moot if you don't stay on the right side of the statistics.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    my kids have not been in-person school since last march, and almost certainly wont be back until September.

that said, all bets are off once they go back to school. you have no way of knowing what each other kids circle is doing or what precautions they are taking, and kids mingle and share everything. like, zero containment at that point.

my thoughts are that kids are in such a low low risk group that there is very little we can actively do, realistically speaking to reduce their risk even further.
    Here in the wilderness of central NY, primary/elementary/secondary schools have not been a significant source of COVID transmission. They're a controlled environment where the students are under near-constant supervision and mask mandates are enforced. Most districts are planning on full attendance within the next 30 days. If schools don't become a significant source of transmission by the end of the school year, the experiment will appear to be a success. Colleges, on the other hand, have been much less successful at curbing COVID transmission. Party on, Wayne! Party on, Garth!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Thanks for the Head's Up. How does someone register for those? I assume it's somewhere on the web.

Edit: Cape - that was quite a drive for you. At work there are lots of stories about people driving all over the place to get theirs.
    The second shot is a walk in, no registration needed. Again, I know at some point while it is open they are switching from Pfizer to J&J, so do check that. We found out about it from the local NPR station and a KMOV reporter (https://twitter.com/ChrisNagusKMOV/s...84836073172997).

Cape was a drive, but worth it. I teach at WashU, cases started to spike there and I teach a class in person....

(apologies for the local thread drift!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How do you accommodate the possibility of variants, all of which appear to be more highly transmissible than the original form for which the vaccines were formulated?

If the parents are vaccinated and children are not, don't the kids become variant canaries? Seems like some level of behavior modification is still a good idea.

Low risk is moot if you don't stay on the right side of the statistics.
    I agree with this 100%. We are still locked down in our home life: no restaurants, no socializing, etc.
    But at the end of the day, if I don't get back to business at some level sooner or later, there's not going to be much business to build back.
    I am leaning towards limiting travel to only what is necessary and bunching it together, then masking and distancing within my own house until I have a clear test result.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my experience. Had both shots a month or so ago. The first one just felt like a shot. Nothing more nothing less. The second one left me feeling tired for about 24 hours. Not exhausted just tired. A good night's sleep did little to help. Still worked all 9 hours the day of the second shot. I would describe myself as the early 50s, healthy, eat well, do have allergies to Penacilian & Sulfa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just confused about how normal things can actually be if the parents are vaccinated and the kids are not. I know the numbers and the statistical probabilities. We have several friends with kids who have tested positive (meaning the kids tested positive and brought the virus home with them,) resulting in the quarantine of the whole family. In two families, everyone got sick and in one only the kid showed any symptoms. Two kids are 10 and the other kid is 16. Everyone recovered but it wasn't fun. But kids do get covid.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-12-2021 at 11:54 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    My $0.02: commercial airline flying has not been a source of COVID transmission since the very start of the pandemic. Many co-workers and one of my sisters have been regular flyers throughout the pandemic. I believe the airlines are being very vigilant enforcing mask mandates. I'm far more concerned about social settings where people ignore COVID protocols and party on like there isn't a world-wide pandemic.

Greg
    Thanks.
    Jay Dwight