User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 29 of 94 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Please, please tell me that this is a real person from your distant past.
    We have a local bike rep named Dick Brink. and there was a technician at work named Richard Woodcock.

I'll drop and do 20 for the thread drift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    We have a local bike rep named Dick Brink. and there was a technician at work named Richard Woodcock.

I'll drop and do 20 for the thread drift.
    A well-known intellectual functioning test is the Woodcock-Johnson.
    don't believe me? look it up.

I feel like I'm 9 years old right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 30 hours past Moderna shot 2 and other than a mild shoulder soreness and maybe a little fatigue (I do love a good nap most days anyway) it has been a non-event.

And for the 9 year olds: What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

Anyone can Roast Beef.
    When you get thirsty, remember- Four out of Five Great Lakes Prefer Michigan

DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    A well-known intellectual functioning test is the Woodcock-Johnson.
    Teacher for 30 years you have no idea how many CSE meetings I sat in on when the old Woodcock-Johnson test got pulled out.

Yup, phrasing counts too.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure if the Woodcock-Johnson test was applied to some of the d*cks running this country, the results would probably not be flattering.

Now, Australia has done pretty well at containing Covid-19, a few hiccups aside. With vaccination, not so good. The vaccination program started in late-February with the aim of having everyone vaccinated by October. Sometime in March we were falling well behind the required targets. Some bright sparks in the Federal Government decided to blame the States. The States got grumpy and much finger pointing ensued. Then the EU got blamed. Then there was a press conference and the whole thing just seems like another instance of the "I don't hold a hose mate" (see here for details...https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...liday/11817356) notion of leadership and responsibility. In any event, the vaccination program has now been turned upside down with the incidence of clotting ruling out the Astra Zeneca vaccine for those under 50. We now have to switch to Pfizer vaccine and as that is made off-shore there will be the inevitable problem of sourcing it in sufficient numbers to vaccinate everyone under 50.

I think my in-laws have or about to be vaccinated, my parents haven't and myself and my partner were looking at July at some stage, but with this latest development, that timeline is going to be blown out considerably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    My 5' 1", 115 lb. daughter had Pfizer jab #1 two weeks ago. She's generally healthy and other than being easily affected by skin irritations (e.g., bug bites), not terribly sensitive to medications. She had a slightly sore arm 8-12 hours after the vaccination. Other than that, no side effects. She gets jab #2 next week. I'll let you know how she makes out.
    Following up with my daughter's experience with vaccination number two. No initial reaction, but her arm started getting sore about 6-8 hours post-vaccination with peak pain at the 12 hour mark. She said it wasn't terrible, just annoying. It didn't affect her falling asleep that night. What did affect her were the cold-like symptoms that appeared overnight. She woke up at the 15 hour mark with mild fever, headache, and general "achy-ness". She was able to get back to sleep and by morning, she was left with just a dull headache. The headache persisted until about 36 hours after vaccination. She had a good, uninterrupted night's sleep and woke up this morning feeling 100% normal. Hope this is helpful for other petite persons who are planning or thinking about getting the vaccine!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend who is well known for doubting things like terminal velocity and the speed of objects in a vacuum has latched hard onto mRNA as evidence of genetic engineered reprogramming of the body at the cellular level and cannot be bothered to read the actual science and he is slowly but surely breaking his wife's heart who is vaccinated and wants him to be vaccinated because he works in contact with clients (custom metal fabrication in fancy kitchens high dollar clients) and I am just so completely over pigheadedness that I kind of hope he steps off a curb and gets blindsided by a truck except that it would be really sad and he's actually a good guy and his wife is terrific and deserves better from him so he better stay around long enough to come to his senses.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Moderna Round 1 tomorrow.
    And yesterday, the guy who works 10' from me tested positive. So that's cool. Not sure if this nagging cough that developed yesterday afternoon is Moderna side-effect, the showers of oak pollen falling all around me, or the 'rona.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    A friend who is well known for doubting things like terminal velocity and the speed of objects in a vacuum has latched hard onto mRNA as evidence of genetic engineered reprogramming of the body at the cellular level and cannot be bothered to read the actual science and he is slowly but surely breaking his wife's heart who is vaccinated and wants him to be vaccinated because he works in contact with clients (custom metal fabrication in fancy kitchens high dollar clients) and I am just so completely over pigheadedness that I kind of hope he steps off a curb and gets blindsided by a truck except that it would be really sad and he's actually a good guy and his wife is terrific and deserves better from him so he better stay around long enough to come to his senses.
    As a simplified statement he is not wrong. The issue you need to discuss with him is whether this is necessarily bad. Let's say a person had a form of non-hodgkin lymphoma which was not responding to convential treatment, and CAR-T was your last chance? You are reprogramming your body to recognize the cancer and attack it. Would he be willing to undergoe treatment or would he prefer to die? Simple case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it always amazes me that functional married couples can exist with fundamental ideologic differences like that. voting for trump, deciding not to vaccinate, picking sram over campy, etc. how can a partnership like a marriage work when people cant come together on big issues like this. i dont get it.

that said, if he's your pal, you probably dont really want him to get hit by a truck just because he's refusing to get vaccinated right? if that thought even crosses your mind it probably means you're too emotionally invested in his decision and you should probably step away for your own mental sanity, especially if it sounds like there is about zero chance of changing his mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what's troubling me. Several family members and close friends have given in completely to conspiracy theories, vaccine and otherwise. It's caused a significant split in my wife's family, with effects that are likely permanent. My daughter and I have spoken about the subject at length. Her attitude has been to "live and let live" about the lies and stupidity up to a point - but when the stupidity becomes dangerous, then a line has been crossed. If someone wants to to believe the conspiracy theories and live in a fantasy world, that's their choice. The problem is when their beliefs become a danger to those around them. COVID denialism and refusal to vaccinate endangers the denier, their associates, and the population in general. Misinformation and lies is a danger to our entire world. How does one reconcile lifelong friendships and family relationships with blatant lies?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    it always amazes me that functional married couples can exist with fundamental ideologic differences like that. voting for trump, deciding not to vaccinate, picking sram over campy, etc. how can a partnership like a marriage work when people cant come together on big issues like this. i dont get it.
    I think you answered your own question. A partnership with these kinds of fundamental differences is not functional. Unfortunately, I'm living this experience right now. It's heartbreaking to watch a formerly logical human being become overcome by fear and turn to conspiracy theories and tribalism for support. In our current socio-political climate, I don't think these problems can be fixed.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    As a simplified statement he is not wrong. The issue you need to discuss with him is whether this is necessarily bad. Let's say a person had a form of non-hodgkin lymphoma which was not responding to convential treatment, and CAR-T was your last chance? You are reprogramming your body to recognize the cancer and attack it. Would he be willing to undergoe treatment or would he prefer to die? Simple case.
    He would likely refuse the CAR-T. He's never happier than when he can convince himself that he is the smartest person in the room. His problem is that he conflates doubt with intelligence.

He is never totally wrong. There is truth in everything he argues about. But it is agenda driven to reaffirm his own intelligence to himself in situations where he is least secure.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

that said, if he's your pal, you probably dont really want him to get hit by a truck just because he's refusing to get vaccinated right? if that thought even crosses your mind it probably means you're too emotionally invested in his decision and you should probably step away for your own mental sanity, especially if it sounds like there is about zero chance of changing his mind.
    No I don't. But he is tiring. Brilliant guy, finished high school, amazing metal fabricator, reads like a maniac, financially successful - but he goes off the tracks, specifically when he feels like someone is telling him what to do, especially if those people are at least presented as being smarter than he is. Or he perceives the situation as such. So he has to show that they aren't as smart as everyone thinks they are, that he sees all the holes in their ideas, etc. He's never not rational and clear headed. He's just human in frustrating ways.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-09-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I don't. But he is tiring. Brilliant guy, finished high school, amazing metal fabricator, reads like a maniac, financially successful - but he goes off the tracks, specifically when he feels like someone is telling him what to do, especially if those people are at least presented as being smarter than he is. Or he perceives the situation as such. So he has to show that they aren't as smart as everyone thinks they are, that he sees all the holes in their ideas, etc. He's never not rational and clear headed. He's just human in frustrating ways.
    Sounds like someone with significant insecurities. Very human and very common. We see it in these OT threads all the time. A secure person tries to logically articulate their arguments and then have a rational discussion. An insecure person constantly looks for an argument and devolves to personal attacks when threatened. Unfortunately, just part of the human condition/experience.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my 2nd Moderna jab...arm hurts, blood everywhere and I’m seeing double. Other than that, all went well.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Just got my 2nd Moderna jab...arm hurts, blood everywhere and I’m seeing double. Other than that, all went well.
    Mine is next week...I've never been more excited (terrified) for it than just now reading your post.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I just read this totally, utterly inspiring profile of one of the scientists responsible for this devastatingly effective new medical technology: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/h...na-kariko.html

Wow wow wow. Thank you Dr. Kariko!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Mine is next week...I've never been more excited (terrified) for it than just now reading your post.
    Easy peasy as I posted in jest...after the 1st jab I had a runny nose, a sore arm for two days and chills for a day. Then it was like a switch went off and all of the symptoms stopped. I’ll keep you posted on this one...so far, just a little soreness around the shot and I took a preemptive Motrin and drank a ton of H2O.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Now, Australia has done pretty well at containing Covid-19, a few hiccups aside. With vaccination, not so good.
    Lump Canada into that bucket as well. While there was some early wins, from where I stand our national and provincial policies have been atrocious for at least the last 9 months, as evidenced by the current 3rd wave infection numbers and lockdowns in BC and Ontario (not to mention the rest of the country). It's been amazing to see what a change in leadership and a strong focus on vaccinations accomplished in the US, in terms of vaccination and infection numbers.

Source: https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada-...n-coming-days/

source: https://twitter.com/trevortombe/stat...15994254639104

That ought to wipe that smug look off our collective faces and maybe spring our ineffective/lazy government into action. If there's one thing that gets Canadians riled up, it's under-performing the US in healthcare...

We have a close family member's daughter in Colorado who was set to be married last summer and had to postpone her marriage ceremony a few times but recently settled on a May date. I had really been looking forward to introducing my daughter to that side of the family, but at this rate the likelihood of me being vaccinated and/or the border being re-opened by then is looking pretty slim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Happy to say I got my one-and-done of Johnson & Johnson yesterday. A little stiffness and soreness today, but I went for a ride right after. The physical vaccination site was super well organized and staffed. I was able to get the online registration system to work satisfactorily, but it really isn't intuitive - certainly favors people who deal with this stuff daily and can try different strategies.