User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 27 of 94 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Well this afternoon I've been getting hot flashes. My wife thinks it is f#&king hilarious.
    Oof you get jabbed today too?

Edit: Just read it looks like you got it yesterday. Hope all is well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    Oof you get jabbed today too?

Edit: Just read it looks like you got it yesterday. Hope all is well.
    Thanks. I'm fine. I'm just a lightweight.

I had to get the typhoid vaccination for a trip to Ethiopia, and I spent the night of the first dose rolled up on the floor of the bathroom.

My wife, who also took her first dose that evening, slept like a baby.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Well this afternoon I've been getting hot flashes. My wife thinks it is f#&king hilarious.
    Me too!

Hope you're feeling better this morning.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Me too!

Hope you're feeling better this morning.
    I do, thanks. Hope you do too!

Definitely was a slightly strange day yesterday.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a secret to getting an appt for 30+ in NY? My brother lives there (Poughkeepsie) but works on his feet all day and doesn't have the luxury of noodling on the computer all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Is there a secret to getting an appt for 30+ in NY? My brother lives there (Poughkeepsie) but works on his feet all day and doesn't have the luxury of noodling on the computer all day.

Go here:

https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov

Do the data entry to show that you are eligible. DOB, gender, ZIP, etc. Click through.

Look through the list of sites, usually listed in distance from you but not always. Even if they say "No appointments" click to check. So many people are signing up and canceling that things change before the list will.

2 hours is not a long trip for a vaccine.

Some spots seem to always have availability or they change enough that appointments open up unexpectedly. That's why we went to SUNY-Oneonta. 2:15 away from us but easy drive and small town and totally relaxed.

If you see an appointment that looks good, click immediately. Some sites then will list available times. Click on one that gives you travel time. Sometimes it is just one day one time so you go straight through to the sign up. Sometimes someone else clicked before you and then you get a "no appointment available". Sometimes the mouse on the treadmill goes on break and you have to start over.

Once you latched onto an appointment, you have to go through a bunch of questions before you get the "confirm" screen. Most of the answers are obvious, but they do ask for insurance status. If you have commercial insurance, then they ask for name of company, policy # and primary. We put TBD on policy # just because it would have taken too much time. And they accepted that, because you show the card once you get to the vaccine site anyway. A lot of the info request is optional so we just blasted through those.

Usually the original list is still open in a previous window, but click on "reset" or "recheck" or whatever at the top of the list to refresh everything.

Keep going.

We found it to be far more successful to get an appointment signed up and confirmed, and then look for one sooner. If you find one, sign up for it. If you get it confirmed, cancel your original appointment. The system doesn't recognize that you already have an appointment. Do not hoard appointments, but do cancel after you get confirmation of a new appointment. You don't want to hit a glitch and end up with no appointment.

We used the site above and went from May 19th to March 28th for our first appointment. We got the March 28th appointment late evening on March 26th.

Edit: I believe there is a NYS vaccine center in New Paltz, probably at the SUNY.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-30-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Set appointment for tomorrow at the VA. So stoked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Friday around 11am CST. Felt amazing the rest of the afternoon, but by 8:30pm I was driving home from Des Moines with a severe fever, chills, and uncontrollable shakes. I nearly drove straight to the ER. This lasted until about 1am. Ever since I've had a sore/tired arm but no other symptoms. Would do it again if I had to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the Pfizer poke on Tuesday evening. Felt pretty tired yesterday, shoulder is a bit sore and itchy, but pretty good overall.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ms. Clean39T is weighing getting the jab now that her group is almost ready.. she has some underlying risk factors, weighs ~110lbs, and is highly sensitive to supplements and medications (takes children's tylenol for example). Anybody out there have any experience with how this hits someone who is somewhat undersized and sensitive? She doesn't get the yearly flu vaccine and is a worried about side-effects......but on the other hand, she'd like to be more comfortable going outside, wants to lower her anxiety around getting it from grocery shopping and that sort of thing, and wants to do her part as a citizen.. The option is to continue to isolate as we have been, maybe see if more data comes out that would push one way or the other, or go ahead and get it.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Ms. Clean39T is weighing getting the jab now that her group is almost ready.. she has some underlying risk factors, weighs ~110lbs, and is highly sensitive to supplements and medications (takes children's tylenol for example). Anybody out there have any experience with how this hits someone who is somewhat undersized and sensitive? She doesn't get the yearly flu vaccine and is a worried about side-effects......but on the other hand, she'd like to be more comfortable going outside, wants to lower her anxiety around getting it from grocery shopping and that sort of thing, and wants to do her part as a citizen.. The option is to continue to isolate as we have been, maybe see if more data comes out that would push one way or the other, or go ahead and get it.
    My 5' 1", 115 lb. daughter had Pfizer jab #1 two weeks ago. She's generally healthy and other than being easily affected by skin irritations (e.g., bug bites), not terribly sensitive to medications. She had a slightly sore arm 8-12 hours after the vaccination. Other than that, no side effects. She gets jab #2 next week. I'll let you know how she makes out.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather take my chances with the vaccine.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in for Pfizer # 2 on Monday.

No reaction to the first dose.

My wife got J & J about a month ago...sore arm and a bit of a lump there that she complained about but that was it.

Both my parents (in their 80's) had both Pfizers with no reports of side effects, same with my older brother.

My wife's son had Moderna # 1 a couple of weeks ago, also with no side effects.

I am gonna try and get out for a ride Monday early, just in case.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over and over again, the science says benefits outweigh the side effects, especially given the newer risk of more highly contagious variants. You don’t want to get covid but if you do, you definitely want symptoms mitigated as much as possible.

My whole family is skinny. We have assorted allergies, some skin, some airborne. So far all of us have gotten at least first vaccines. Some have gotten both. My reaction was similar to getting a tetanus shot or a flu shot. Or maybe one of each. Sore arm, a bit foggy headed for a day with some weird body temp fluctuations. My wife had no reaction whatsoever. She’s the one who is highly affected by insect bites, but she didn’t even miss a step after the vaccine. At the inoculation center, their primary interest is whether you’ve ever had a serious reaction to a vaccine in the past. Like passing out. If so, they put you in a waiting area for 30 minutes and assign an observer to you (at least they did where I got my shot) and then the EMT’s are right there at the ready.

However if you are prone to anxiety, that may be a worthwhile thing to communicate. So if this is part of her hesitancy, then she should mention it during the process. The person administering my vaccine was a nurse. She had a very calm and confident approach, and her questions were for important information, not just a recital, even though she had obviously asked them many times before. So I can see where telling the staff about one’s anxiety would be received in the same way as any other medical information.

All the reading I’ve done says the variants are going to become more of a factor this spring and summer. Already in NYC, the numbers of new cases and deaths have plateaued, and health officials are warning of a new wave. By getting vaccinated, you are helping to move toward herd immunity and lessening the potential severity of covid should you somehow become infected by a variant that slips past. And if she does have sensitivities to things in her body, better she has some relatively minor side effects from the vaccine than a possibly heightened reaction to a covid infection.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-03-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got this message from the NYC Public Advocate, Jumaane Williams, a minute or two after I typed my message. Variants are the wild card that has everyone worried. Get vaccinated.

http://press.advocate.nyc.gov/mail/u...23409.15&gen=1
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing we absolutely cannot do is loosen up our discipline. We're close to turning this around, we can't relax and get another wave going, it'll only mean more variants if we slide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please encourage her to get it, ideally at a site with emergency medical personnel.

I’m allergic to shellfish and had read about the tiny chance of an anaphylactic reaction so was calmed by the presence of some Boston emts. Who I ended up chatting with while hanging out in the post-vax area.

I had no problems and doubt she will. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have about three different questions imbedded in here.

1. Undersized- my wife is also about 110 lbs, and she had a sore arm.
    2. Side effects- you need to differentiate between side-effects and normal reaction. A sore arm at the injection site etc are pretty common. If you feel tired, have a rash etc, these are just the body's immune response and intend. If this is how the body is reacting to the shot, imagine how much worse it could be if they are actually exposed to the virus.
    3. Allergic reactions- I read the allergic reaction is more common in people with reactions to PEG. If you wife does not have a known allergic reaction to PEG, I think you can go, and then wait around afterwards. If something bad happens, the professionals are there. (I did bring my own epipen.)
    I have two friends that developed TIA after the second Pfizer shot. Whether this is related to the shot, or just happened is hard to say. One was a doctor, and he is thankful because he was vaccinated, and now he can get checked out for possible health issues which may lead to a stroke... So he did not see any downside to getting vaccinated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one has died from the vaccine, I have been told by doctor friends. Also, if there's one vaccine to get it's this one.

My wife says she won't get it for xyz reason. We will see.

Talked with two people yesterday: one in NYC: classmate of daughter in elementary school came home with it and both parents died. Then one in SF: colleague in his early forties with no coanything died.

I have signed up and can wait because I live in the middle of nowhere. But I am very ready.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    No one has died from the vaccine, I have been told by doctor friends. Also, if there's one vaccine to get it's this one.
    The AstraZeneca vaccine has accounted for 7 deaths in the UK so far. I’m with everyone else, tell your wife that it’s her responsibility to be vaccinated, as there are people out there all over the world waiting in line to do so...we are very fortunate.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.