User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 24 of 94 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I went to Walmart yesterday for my second shingles shot. Absolutely wrecked me. Shaking uncontrollably if I got out of bed. But I'd rather suffer this effect than not get the vaccine.
    I had a visit last week with my primary and asked about getting the shingles vacs and he suggested waiting awhile as I had just had my second poke of Moderna 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts from the MD’s here?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I had a visit last week with my primary and asked about getting the shingles vacs and he suggested waiting awhile as I had just had my second poke of Moderna 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts from the MD’s here?

Mike
    Mike...I'm not an MD and I don't play one on TV, but my wife is in healthcare and she cautions people in spacing out the shingles and COVID vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

Q: Can I give Shingrix at the same time as an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine?

A: Given the lack of data on the safety and efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines administered simultaneously with other vaccines, the COVID-19 vaccine series should routinely be administered alone. You should wait a minimum of 14 days after administration of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series to give a patient Shingrix. Alternatively, if a patient just received Shingrix, you should wait a minimum of 14 days before giving them the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series.

If a COVID-19 vaccine is given within 14 days of another vaccine, you do not need to be revaccinated with either vaccine. You should still complete the vaccine series on schedule. When we have more data on the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines given at the same time as other vaccines, CDC may update this recommendation.

To learn more about mRNA COVID-19 vaccine coadministration with other vaccines, see Clinical Considerations for COVID-19 Vaccination.

*Healthcare providers should defer vaccination for patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19, regardless of symptoms, until the patient has met the criteria for discontinuing isolation. While mild illness is not a contraindication to shingles vaccination, vaccination visits for these individuals should be postponed to avoid exposing healthcare personnel and others to the virus that causes COVID-19. When scheduling or confirming appointments for shingles vaccination, the provider’s office should instruct patients to notify them in advance if they currently have or develop any symptoms of COVID-19.

**In pre-licensure clinical studies involving 4,886 participants aged 50 and older who received Shingrix, the following side effects were reported after vaccination: myalgia (44.7%), fatigue (44.5%), headache (37.7%), shivering (26.8%), fever (20.5%), and gastrointestinal symptoms (17.3%) See the FDA prescribing informationexternal icon for additional information. In post-licensure safety monitoring of 38,902 reports to the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System through 22 October 2020, the most common signs and symptoms following Shingrix included: fever (23.9%), chills (20.5%), pain (20.1%), headache (19.1%), fatigue (16.4%), myalgia (11.4%), and nausea (10.9%) (October 2020 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices presentation slides available at https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/index.html).
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^
    This is why I love this place.
    Thanks RW!

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderna shot #1 today. No complications. No symptoms except my left shoulder now feels like I was punched by Conor McGregor (St. Patrick’s Day reference) . I tried to punch back but failed. No other symptoms and did about 2 hours on Zwift with no negative symptoms.

39°F and a totally uninspiring locale means Zwift, even as we get closer to late March.

Happy #1 is behind me. Hopefully everyone gets theirs very soon.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Karen's mom got her 2nd this evening. I get my 2nd in a week. Karen gets her 2nd 10 days after that.

What makes me really happy though is to hear of everybody else busting through the gates. Keep it coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently wrapped up the shingles shots and the first one was merely the annoying little brother to the second one, which made me feel lousy for most of a week. I’m not a doctor, but I wouldn’t recommend layering that experience on top of another bad time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got mine last night along with my partner at the Cleveland State basket ball arena. It run by the Army and it was done very smoothly. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. It was a strangely relaxing experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6,000 syringes/minute from this particular factory and still not enough...I like the name...Kojak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56456232
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Along the lines of what Bob posted above, there was also this....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...es-family-feud
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got an appointment for my first dose this coming Tuesday. Onondaga County has been very proactive throughout the pandemic. Last Friday, they added a waitlist to their COVID vaccination website for people age 50+ who aren’t otherwise eligible for the vaccine. If extra doses are available that would otherwise go unused, they become available to my demographic (age 50-60 without other eligibility). I signed up immediately. Midday today, I got an e-mail telling me appointments were available this week. Four days from sign up to shot. By the end of April, I’ll be able to give my 93 year-old mom a hug and a kiss for the first time in over a year! She got her J&J vaccine yesterday.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Just got an appointment for my first dose this coming Tuesday. Onondaga County has been very proactive throughout the pandemic. Last Friday, they added a waitlist to their COVID vaccination website for people age 50+ who aren’t otherwise eligible for the vaccine. If extra doses are available that would otherwise go unused, they become available to my demographic (age 50-60 without other eligibility). I signed up immediately. Midday today, I got an e-mail telling me appointments were available this week. Four days from sign up to shot. By the end of April, I’ll be able to give my 93 year-old mom a hug and a kiss for the first time in over a year! She got her J&J vaccine yesterday.

Greg
    That sounds well organized. Wonder why NYS as a whole doesn't do that?

I talked to a guy about doing some excavation on our property. He's 63 and lived in Hillsdale all his life. Said he'd get a vaccine but isn't good with computers so hasn't gotten an appointment. I'll find out Monday morning if he really wants one and we'll do a sit-down and see what we can come up with on my laptop. I think his 90 year old mom needs one too.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad has two older siblings who live in far NW NJ, and while my aunt and her husband are internet savvy, my dads brother is old school and has never had internet/smartphone etc.
    My aunt lined up all four of theirs shots, and while my uncle is an outlier in our family in terms of connectedness, I’m sure it’s not unique across the country.

Hopefully we get there for all US adults sooner than later, but barriers definitely fall along socioeconomic lines
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    That sounds well organized. Wonder why NYS as a whole doesn't do that?

I talked to a guy about doing some excavation on our property. He's 63 and lived in Hillsdale all his life. Said he'd get a vaccine but isn't good with computers so hasn't gotten an appointment. I'll find out Monday morning if he really wants one and we'll do a sit-down and see what we can come up with on my laptop. I think his 90 year old mom needs one too.
    That’s a great reminder. We all need to look after our neighbors, especially those who aren’t internet savvy. My sisters arranged for my mom to get her vaccination from a visiting nurse. It made the experience much less stressful and tiring. Perhaps that option may be available for your acquaintance’s mother.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else get an itchy arm?
    I had my 1st shot- Maderna about 11 days ago. Had a sore arm for two days- That went away.
    But then 9 days after shot I started getting itchy at the injection site?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Anyone else get an itchy arm?
    I had my 1st shot- Maderna about 11 days ago. Had a sore arm for two days- That went away.
    But then 9 days after shot I started getting itchy at the injection site?
    Covid arm.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-reaction.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incoming additional vaccines so age drops to 50 as of 8AM tomorrow morning. Figure that means 8:00:01 the site will crash but we'll start working then.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck! Tell us how it goes. I am a little interested in the web site performance because I think I know what tech they are on and I'd love to in-your-face my company on it...
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Good luck! Tell us how it goes. I am a little interested in the web site performance because I think I know what tech they are on and I'd love to in-your-face my company on it...
    We both got online at 7:59AM. I couldn't get the list of available appointments to show up after selecting a vaccination site. Then when I finally did, the appointment was taken already. So back to the beginning and then I couldn't get the list of appointments to come up again. My wife being a pro and able to do 12 things at the same time, got on the phone while she was also online (mad skills) and got through to an excellent woman on the phone who set me up for a May 19th appointment. Meanwhile my wife signed up online for the same date/time. So we both have appointments for May 19th at SUNY Albany. However, a close friend of my wife called and said her neighbor is doing appointments for people after having figured out the system, and she was able to get my wife an appointment for April 30th in Newburgh (Middleton NY). She'll work on another appointment for me later in the day. I guess there are peak and off-peak hours that are part of the whole deal too. Anyway, at least we have an appointment for May 19th. We'll see what happens with the neighbor of my wife's friend.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news that you have appointments. If you get something sooner then you can cancel the May 19th, but to be on the list is a good thing.

I forgot to tell you that you should get yourself a bot to try and get an appointment. That apparently is what all the cool kids are doing.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Great news that you have appointments. If you get something sooner then you can cancel the May 19th, but to be on the list is a good thing.

I forgot to tell you that you should get yourself a bot to try and get an appointment. That apparently is what all the cool kids are doing.
    I guess I actually need a cool kid who has a bot, because I have no idea how one gets a bot or makes them do one's bidding once one has a bot.

I think this neighbor is going to be our ticket. She did all the legwork on this thing earlier to get her mom an appointment months ago, and now she's been doing it for friends and friends of friends.

I also called the excavator guy and had a nice conversation about vaccines. His niece found out on Saturday that no one in his family had appointments and by Sunday had organized appointments for everyone. So he was pretty happy.

I am firmly convinced that the world would implode if there weren't women out there making sure things happen.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books