User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 22 of 94 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This is also my take. I’m eligible based on my job, even though I’m on the sidelines at the moment. I’ve thought about this ethical issue. Getting it benefits more than myself so when it’s offered to my work group I will plan to get it. It’s even going to waste now for some people so if one makes a clear and informed decision on it, I’d say to get it. I will get it when it’s available.
    exactly. you aren't just getting this for yourself. you're getting it for your more vulnerable co-workers and loved ones. get the shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb and I are scheduled next Wed, for the J&J vaccine we'll see how it goes.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    what are your thoughts on the ethics around getting a shot based on a job categorization "loophole"... for instance, my industry is eligible, and the state website asks what industry you work in to determine eligibility, but my actual job is as low risk as they come-- 100% remote computer work. Some of my colleagues are getting their shots based on our industry, but I'm torn about it. Seems unethical, not fair to others etc. On the other hand, many folks say if you have a chance, you should take it, since any shots benefit everyone, and turning down an opportunity doesn't necessarily open up another opportunity for another more eligible person. It's a sticky situation. I do realize many, many folks are saying eff-it and taking advantage of any loop hole. I'm just not sure if that's me...
    What everyone else said: Get it.

I qualify in the same MA 'tier' based on both my job and comorbidities, so I didn't need to sweat this morality. Nevertheless I still felt guilt when I got my appointment!

But I feel even more relief now that I'm on my way.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    what are your thoughts on the ethics around getting a shot based on a job categorization "loophole"... for instance, my industry is eligible, and the state website asks what industry you work in to determine eligibility, but my actual job is as low risk as they come-- 100% remote computer work. Some of my colleagues are getting their shots based on our industry, but I'm torn about it. Seems unethical, not fair to others etc. On the other hand, many folks say if you have a chance, you should take it, since any shots benefit everyone, and turning down an opportunity doesn't necessarily open up another opportunity for another more eligible person. It's a sticky situation. I do realize many, many folks are saying eff-it and taking advantage of any loop hole. I'm just not sure if that's me...
    Don't let perfect get in the way of good. Get a shot

Some states have made criteria too complicated, and shots can get wasted.
    (hence the leftover shots. Many of our friends were all vaccinated this way with left over shots. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a buddy of mine walked up to his local Rite Aid yesterday about the end of vaccination time and asked about unallocated doses. They had some and he and his wife got their first shots of Moderna. This included an appointment for the second.

I dropped by my local Walgreens yesterday and asked about this and was told that it happens, but mostly people show up for their appointments so they don't have extras. Today I stopped in again and was told to try to get an appointment by going online at like 5:55 AM for when it opens up at 6:00 AM. Must be a feeding frenzy for appointments is all I can think. Also, I was told that here in Illinois, a walkup who gets lucky with an unallocated dosage is not guaranteed of the second shot, meaning it's just more of the same randomness.

I am registered with four independent entities that have knowledge of this (County, Walgreens, City of Chicago Dept. of Aviation and a hospital in Chicago that has been serving essential workers) and thus far have heard nary a peep about appointments.

Sadly, I think we will go from this being in short supply to there being a glut extremely quickly at which point much will go to waste and other parts of the world won't have enough. But that's another story.

How are folks who have had this getting it?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a buddy of mine walked up to his local Rite Aid yesterday about the end of vaccination time and asked about unallocated doses. They had some and he and his wife got their first shots of Moderna. This included an appointment for the second.

I dropped by my local Walgreens yesterday and asked about this and was told that it happens, but mostly people show up for their appointments so they don't have extras. Today I stopped in again and was told to try to get an appointment by going online at like 5:55 AM for when it opens up at 6:00 AM. Must be a feeding frenzy for appointments is all I can think. Also, I was told that here in Illinois, a walkup who gets lucky with an unallocated dosage is not guaranteed of the second shot, meaning it's just more of the same randomness.

I am registered with four independent entities that have knowledge of this (County, Walgreens, City of Chicago Dept. of Aviation and a hospital in Chicago that has been serving essential workers) and thus far have heard nary a peep about appointments.

Sadly, I think we will go from this being in short supply to there being a glut extremely quickly at which point much will go to waste and other parts of the world won't have enough. But that's another story.

How are folks who have had this getting it?
    Jim, just book an appointment and get the shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Jim, just book an appointment and get the shot.
    There aren't any appointments.

That's what I'm trying to do. I'm on four separate lists to be informed when appointments become available. So far, nothing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I'm trying to do. I'm on four separate lists to be informed when appointments become available. So far, nothing.
    They won't inform you. Try odd hours of the night or super early morning, I think most systems reset their appointments schedule once or twice a day. At least CVS CA is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim...have you tried this site?...around midnight seems to be working for people. I had to first quality on the Rite-Aid site then wait as the openings appeared on the vaxxmax site, then cut and paste the specific Rite-Aid location and get the appointment...it was like playing a virtual slot machine. I had my first jab of Moderna on Friday...runny nose, sore arm and the chills for a day and I just received notice of my 2nd jab for a month from now. Good luck.

https://www.vaxxmax.com
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are eligible correct? If not eligible then you have to work the system. Basically forget about everything else and chase pharmacists all day until you get a vaccination.

But if you are eligible, the several friends who are eligible and have had luck getting appointments when the Internet sites say NO have called their state’s central number (usually also the number provided for those who can’t do technology or don’t have a computer,) spent over an hour or so waiting until finally they’ve gotten someone on the phone, did a bit of an interview, waited some more and then bingo an appointment is granted. Call early, get on hold and do your best.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-14-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    You are eligible correct? If not eligible then you have to work the system. Basically forget about everything else and chase pharmacists all day until you get a vaccination.

But if you are eligible, the several friends who are eligible and have had luck getting appointments when the Internet sites say NO have called their state’s central number (usually also the number provided for those who can’t do technology or don’t have a computer,) spent over an hour or so waiting until finally they’ve gotten someone on the phone, did a bit of an interview, waited some more and then bingo an appointment is granted. Call early, get on hold and do your best.

I am eligible.

Interestingly, I hopped onto the Walgreens website about 20 minutes ago and was able to schedule an appointment for Wednesday. As of yesterday it was saying no appointments were available. Today it was green.

As a worker in the transportation industry I am eligible and will have to bring my employer ID with me. Hopefully there are no snags in the process.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Karen got her first poke in Albany Saturday instead of Utica in two weeks because a friend IM'ed her Friday and said sign up at the Armory and bring your NYS employee id card.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am eligible.

Interestingly, I hopped onto the Walgreens website about 20 minutes ago and was able to schedule an appointment for Wednesday. As of yesterday it was saying no appointments were available. Today it was green.

As a worker in the transportation industry I am eligible and will have to bring my employer ID with me. Hopefully there are no snags in the process.
    That's great news!

I feel your pain regarding getting an appointment. Here in Massachusetts demand far, far outstrips supply and when eligibility first got to my group the state's poorly designed website immediately crashed. I ended up as one of the lucky ~5% who managed to book an appointment that first day. It was a clusterf*ck for sure, and it's only beginning to ease up.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am eligible.

Probably means your area got a new infusion of vaccines. Likely the Johnson and Johnson, which means one poke and you are done.

Most areas seem to have limited appointments due to vaccine supplies, not because of the numbers of people in line (and there are lines because there are not enough vaccines,) but that's changing too as the eligibility is expanding and vaccine supply is increasing. I still expect mayhem will be involved when all are elligible. Our doctor has told us that once the vaccines are open to the general public, their office will have them to disburse to their patients which may help to reduce disorder elsewhere. So unless something unexpected happens, we will get our vaccines in the city in May or June.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Probably means your area got a new infusion of vaccines. Likely the Johnson and Johnson, which means one poke and you are done.

Most areas seem to have limited appointments due to vaccine supplies, not because of the numbers of people in line (and there are lines because there are not enough vaccines,) but that's changing too as the eligibility is expanding and vaccine supply is increasing. I still expect mayhem will be involved when all are elligible. Our doctor has told us that once the vaccines are open to the general public, their office will have them to disburse to their patients which may help to reduce disorder elsewhere. So unless something unexpected happens, we will get our vaccines in the city in May or June.
    I should have clarified - mine will be a 2-step process. The appointment actually included a second date about a month later.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have clarified - mine will be a 2-step process. The appointment actually included a second date about a month later.
    So not the J&J but the other ones. Surprisingly convenient to set 2 appointments up right from the start!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYS delivery systems (SUNY, FEMA) are telling you your second appointment when you are signing in for your first. Not sure what the grocery stores and pharmacies are doing.

New York State's delivery systems are remarkably well done. Each delivery system has their own group to be taking care of so the whole thing is as orderly as can be, web sites are slow when the bots are going nuts on them but otherwise very good.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    NYS delivery systems (SUNY, FEMA) are telling you your second appointment when you are signing in for your first.
    It was similar on the Walgreen's site. You couldn't book the first if there wasn't a second available and they had to be selected together. I was able to pick and choose my times but it was clearly a busy website because when I signed on I was going to get it done tomorrow and by the time I secured a second slot it was no longer available for tomorrow.

But overall the experience on the Walgreens website was pretty good. It does require you to create an account, which I guess isn't totally surprising, but something I would rather have avoided.

I now have an e-mail confirmation for both appointments and they include a 14-character alphanumeric confirmation number.

At least with Walgreens the appointments appear to only be distributed in pairs. This makes sense to avoid people not being able to get the second dose.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    NYS delivery systems (SUNY, FEMA) are telling you your second appointment when you are signing in for your first. Not sure what the grocery stores and pharmacies are doing.

New York State's delivery systems are remarkably well done. Each delivery system has their own group to be taking care of so the whole thing is as orderly as can be, web sites are slow when the bots are going nuts on them but otherwise very good.
    That's interesting (and encouraging) to hear. Except for 2 people we know, that hasn't been the experience for most friends in NYC and Columbia/Greene/Ulster counties. Our friends in the counties have all ended up going to Albany or further north - Troy & Saratoga Springs(?) I think. Our friends in the city all got their vaccinations in the Bronx before the city made those facilities Bronx-only residents. Our landscapers go to a clinic in Great Barrington MA, and even though they live in Hillsdale, the clinic gave them their vaccinations under MA regs after they had given up on NYS. My wife's pilates instructor got his second at the Javitts Center 24 hour facility but said that was kind of a nightmare. As above, our professor friend got bupkis for weeks, and then suddenly out of the blue got an appointment for April 28th in Albany. All eligible people, no funny business, but my impression is that none of it was particularly smooth operating until they sat down in the chair and rolled up their sleeve.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I am seeing and hearing the supply is getting better and better. Now the problem will become having enough people available to poke people in the arm. I was struck by how many people were on duty from the time I entered the fieldhouse. I passed as part of a multithreaded operation at least 20-25 people before getting to the floor where they were giving shots and there had to be thirty tables staffed with two people each, a half a dozen doctors roving the floor asking questions - then on the way out maybe another 8-10 people handling the timeout period and showing us to the door.

Three shifts a day, seven days a week, however many full time SUNYs that's a lot of people. Not to mention the National Guardsmen and State police hanging out.
    Tom Ambros