User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 85.49%
  • No

28 14.51%
Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    I wonder how many people he murdered with that little stunt.
    statistically <1 .

But the 12,000,000 doses not yet administered because of logistical snafu's, somewhere between 2,000-3,000.

Hizzonor Deblasio is saying NYC will inoculate 1,000,000 in January and he seems immensely proud of that accomplishment he will fall short of when, Israel which has approximately the same population of NYC, is doing 150,000+ a day now.

My friend who is living in Tel Aviv thinks US is really a disgrace. (He's an American Doctor)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    statistically <1 ....
    Hey, fractional people are people too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    statistically <1 .

But the 12,000,000 doses not yet administered because of logistical snafu's, somewhere between 2,000-3,000.

Hizzonor Deblasio is saying NYC will inoculate 1,000,000 in January and he seems immensely proud of that accomplishment he will fall short of when, Israel which has approximately the same population of NYC, is doing 150,000+ a day now.

My friend who is living in Tel Aviv thinks US is really a disgrace. (He's an American Doctor)
    Does anyone else worry that our national mishandling of this pandemic risks making us the target of biological warfare in the future? Why continue to spend zillions on planes/ships/tanks, when all that's really needed is a bit of aerosolized virus to make this country come apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Does anyone else worry that our national mishandling of this pandemic risks making us the target of biological warfare in the future? Why continue to spend zillions on planes/ships/tanks, when all that's really needed is a bit of aerosolized virus to make this country come apart?
    Biological warfare? We can't even defend against Russian Facebook bots to keep the country from coming apart.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a data point- apolitical - I think the reported doses administered are well behind the actual in the US. Distribution processes at the point pf care (ie, your local hospital) have needed to be set up so rapidly that data and tracking became secondary to getting the job done. Also, the allocation process in some states (use it all up before you get more) encouraged this. The hospitals doing distribution are the same ones busting at the seams with Covid patients, every other disease is still going on, and some are worse than ever this year (trauma and behavioral health), staff shortages/illness are up, finances are rough, etc. End of year reporting requirements for everything else also strain hospital data FTE resources this time of year. At my place, we've given 2400 and are caught up on reporting. However, a few days ago, we had given 1700 and only reported 250 to the state. It took a few days to work out the details and catch up. It seems simple on the surface, but there are disparate data systems and disparate HCP groups involved from an HR perspective (employees, contracted personnel,volunteers, private practitioners and their staff, etc.) I think you will see the gap between doses distributed and administered narrow in the upcoming week.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hospital is now saying this is due to a "bad actor" specifically a pharmacist, who is currently under arrest, not due to bad protocol or machinery defect or bad vaccines. The guy evidently removed the vaccines from refrigeration on the nights of Christmas Eve and Christmas. No motive given.

SOB. WTF?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/u...-arrested.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do not think that this is anything to worry about, I think you are missing the boat. (Not you caleb. I mean the rest of the readers.)

One of these days, someone is going to engineer something bad. Who knows why? That doesn't matter. We should get ready for it.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    If you do not think that this is anything to worry about, I think you are missing the boat. (Not you caleb. I mean the rest of the readers.)

One of these days, someone is going to engineer something bad. Who knows why? That doesn't matter. We should get ready for it.
    Well, there was an article recently about Russia developing Ebola and Mers variants in the lab.

The thing with COVID 19 is it uses the ACE2 receptor which is pretty common different parts of our body. It's prevalent in lungs, but also present in kidneys, heart etc which maybe explains some of the weird effects you see in some patients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mother Nature seeks a balance. It won't take humankind to engineer something bad.

And I agree. I am less worried about this pandemic than the next, and most worried about the inept response.

To climate change as well.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been thinking about this since May or June when it was apparent that we were failing an important test.

People at work started getting the vaccine. We have no info on how fast it will happen for all of us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a news clip that showed elderly folks waiting for up to 8 hours to get a vaccine here in Florida. Our tRump kissing Gov. does such a good job!

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    If you do not think that this is anything to worry about, I think you are missing the boat.
    One of these days? Reston (VA) and Fort Detrick (MD) come to mind. There was a bit of a scare in Reston some years ago.

Some folks were ready years ago when they built bunkers and stocked up.

The biggest threat to my being is some idiot driving a motor vehicle while texting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I saw a news clip that showed elderly folks waiting for up to 8 hours to get a vaccine here in Florida. Our tRump kissing Gov. does such a good job!

Mike
    Really. Why not just do a lottery and save people time and inconvenience. SMH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Just a data point- apolitical - I think the reported doses administered are well behind the actual in the US. Distribution processes at the point pf care (ie, your local hospital) have needed to be set up so rapidly that data and tracking became secondary to getting the job done. Also, the allocation process in some states (use it all up before you get more) encouraged this. The hospitals doing distribution are the same ones busting at the seams with Covid patients, every other disease is still going on, and some are worse than ever this year (trauma and behavioral health), staff shortages/illness are up, finances are rough, etc. End of year reporting requirements for everything else also strain hospital data FTE resources this time of year. At my place, we've given 2400 and are caught up on reporting. However, a few days ago, we had given 1700 and only reported 250 to the state. It took a few days to work out the details and catch up. It seems simple on the surface, but there are disparate data systems and disparate HCP groups involved from an HR perspective (employees, contracted personnel,volunteers, private practitioners and their staff, etc.) I think you will see the gap between doses distributed and administered narrow in the upcoming week.
    Agree. Here in IL, the # vaccinated was over the # of doses received in the first shipment, presumably by using the extra volume in the vials. That number plummeted to about 35% of doses received after the second shipment, but based upon what I’ve seen, I’m pretty sure it’s just the data lagging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevermind. Redundant rant.

I just hope there is more hands on leadership from the federal level and more personnel from federal agencies on the ground filling in the gaps where needed. That this becomes an absolute priority. What else is more important right now? Covid is it.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-01-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Put me to work.

Why aren't we enlisting licensed health care workers to put doses in arms in parking lots away from, or at least close to, medical facilities? With a wee bit of training I could help relieve actual docs and nurses from the burden. Giving shots ain't rocket science....ask my dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    One of these days? Reston (VA) and Fort Detrick (MD) come to mind. There was a bit of a scare in Reston some years ago.

Some folks were ready years ago when they built bunkers and stocked up.

The biggest threat to my being is some idiot driving a motor vehicle while texting.

Fort Detrick, of course, is where USAMRIID is located. Once upon a time, one of the only two BioSafety Level IV labs in the U.S. (the other being the CDC). Nothing of note has happened there, as far as I know.

The Reston thing was lucky. It was a version of Ebola that did major damages to non-human primates but not as much to humans. Still scary though. Even more scary is the fact that the monkeys carrying the virus came from the Philippines (IIRC). The virus came from a place geographically distinct and isolated from the Central African forests where Ebola-Zaire originated, but pretty much ended up being very similar.

And it doesn't take malicious actors to unleash hell. Russian ineptitude unleashing refined, weapon-grade anthrax in Ekaterinburg / Sverdlovsk back in the late 1970s. They then proceeded to cover it up for about two decades before the truth came out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Put me to work.

Why aren't we enlisting licensed health care workers to put doses in arms in parking lots away from, or at least close to, medical facilities? With a wee bit of training I could help relieve actual docs and nurses from the burden. Giving shots ain't rocket science....ask my dog.
    Drive up vaccines in Chicagoland start next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    Drive up vaccines in Chicagoland start next week.
    Giddyup.

"What if" the Red Cross trained volunteers? I'd want to be part of that.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Put me to work.

More government dysfunction here - believe it or not, in NJ, a paramedic CANNOT administer a vaccine. Sure, they can save your life with a field tracheostomy or chest tube in a moving ambulance or helicopter, but they can't (sarcasm) be trusted to give you an itty-bitty needle in the arm. Thus, we have to take nurses from the bedside to do this. Paradoxically, pharmacists can administer the vaccine. While this is good and appropriate, it's about the only time they touch a human body in a professional context and many are uncomfortable at first. A bunch of us around the state are working on this through our lobbyists and the Hospital Association. Common sense is not common.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA