User Tag List

Thread: ALT.Gifts for Your Family's Distant Holidays

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ALT.Gifts for Your Family's Distant Holidays

Time to come up with some alternative gifts for those who expect them this holiday season. Something alternative for someone who would be pleasantly surprised to receive something handmade, creative, crafty, unique.

Liz Hamann - Hand thrown porcelain clay ware and stoneware done with superb technical finesse. We have several large bowls, some rimmed plates and a bunch of tea cups (large ones,) and they are all impressively thin and light in the hand. That takes skill. She is in the middle of switching work spaces, so if you see something you like on her site, then call her or email her and she'll try to match up available stock with your preferences.

Aubry Wood - Run by Matthew and Kyra Hart. Wooden bowls and utensils hand-carved from wood off of their farm property. I don't think they update their website, so you'll need to contact them to find out what stock is available. We have a bowl, several spoons and a spatula from them. We use the spatula almost every day.

Dette Flies - Hand-tied trout-fishing flies by local (probably global as well) fishing royalty. In business forever. Immaculately tied trout flies that trout will do their best to tear to shreds. Used to be in a small shop in Roscoe, NY but now in Livingston Manor. Still the Catskills.

Nordt Family Farms - Hand woven merino wool blankets. Un-be-lievably soft and warm. Not itchy! Very reasonable prices for hand-woven high quality product like this. From sheep to you.

Suga Pottery - I think if we could resist the temptation to buy pieces of pottery whenever we find them, we might end up having all Suga Pottery. Eh, maybe with some Liz Hamann bowls. But really, Ben Suga makes really nice beautiful pots with lots of variety that still works well together as a set. Like most of the hand-makers, contact with questions for current stock.

Blue Skies Workroom - Alyssa Salomon (my sister-in-law but I get nada zilch zero per sale) prints cyanotypes & silkscreens on fabric and paper to create tote bags, zippered pouches, linen towels, clever signs, pillows of several shapes and sizes, and hand-bound creative journals & notebooks, including her "Fill or Fondle books" which are a combination photo & design sampler of Alyssa's work and an opportunity to collaborate by adding work of your own. She also makes terrific linen aprons - check with her directly to see what designs she has available. We've given them as gifts to friends who love cooking and there have been tears each time.

Monolith Knives - Really terrific fixed blade and folding knives. I have one my wife bought me, and after I figured out how to stop cutting myself with it, it has been great. I've done all sorts of things with it that knives shouldn't do but do anyway because, well, you don't have a screwdriver/crowbar/hammer/axe handy at the moment. A+ gift for someone who needs a few scars to help build some character.

Kinderhook Farm - Some of the best meat around in these parts. Or so I've been told. Terrifically well run farm, nice to the animals (believe me, I've spoken with the chickens personally) and staffed by good people. I don't think they ship, but they might. They do have drive up service with plenty of distancing, so if you are in the area or passing through, you can order to go and go.

Richard Messina Designs - A master of hand forged gold jewelry. Incredible stuff. He makes other lovely pieces, but his hand-forged stuff is where the skill shows. Pieces here look smooth and gracefully curved after beginning as a flat bar or round rod of gold. There are often waiting lists for his cuffs and neck rings, understated pieces that are knock out in person.

Happy Chickens at Kinderhook Farms by Jorn Ake, on Flickr
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-23-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ALT.Gifts for Your Family's Distant Holidays

PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST WITH YOUR OWN SUGGESTIONS!

Local, regional, single maker, small business, craftsman, artisan, handmade, hand raised, etc.

Also worthwhile charities....
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-23-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a huge fan of Son of Man cider over these past few months - really tasty funky/dry Basque-style. Ships to most of the US.

https://www.sonofman.co/

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pen nerd love of Schon Dsgn pens is well known around these parts, but this thread is a good reminder to check them out if you're buying a gift for someone who likes to write. He offers a handful of options for designs, finishing, metals and pen type. And you're supporting a great maker who also likes bikes.

https://www.schondsgn.com/
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife & I are giving our daughter and her fiancé a gift of cash, to give to charities of their choice.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading her latest update, I donated again to Jacquie's gofundme for Charlie Cunningham.

Theirs is a match made in heaven.

https://gf.me/u/y2qfnx
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.eastvoldfurniture.com/ou...-learning-desk

Our friend Matt has a nice small portable desk for kids to use anywhere. This developed from the local charter school, Prairie Creek. They have an outdoor integrated learning experience for elementary students.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Time to come up with some alternative gifts for those who expect them this holiday season. Something alternative for someone who would be pleasantly surprised to receive something handmade, creative, crafty, unique.

Liz Hamann - Hand thrown porcelain clay ware and stoneware done with superb technical finesse. We have several large bowls, some rimmed plates and a bunch of tea cups (large ones,) and they are all impressively thin and light in the hand. That takes skill. She is in the middle of switching work spaces, so if you see something you like on her site, then call her or email her and she'll try to match up available stock with your preferences.

Aubry Wood - Run by Matthew and Kyra Hart. Wooden bowls and utensils hand-carved from wood off of their farm property. I don't think they update their website, so you'll need to contact them to find out what stock is available. We have a bowl, several spoons and a spatula from them. We use the spatula almost every day.

Dette Flies - Hand-tied trout-fishing flies by local (probably global as well) fishing royalty. In business forever. Immaculately tied trout flies that trout will do their best to tear to shreds. Used to be in a small shop in Roscoe, NY but now in Livingston Manor. Still the Catskills.

Nordt Family Farms - Hand woven merino wool blankets. Un-be-lievably soft and warm. Not itchy! Very reasonable prices for hand-woven high quality product like this. From sheep to you.

Suga Pottery - I think if we could resist the temptation to buy pieces of pottery whenever we find them, we might end up having all Suga Pottery. Eh, maybe with some Liz Hamann bowls. But really, Ben Suga makes really nice beautiful pots with lots of variety that still works well together as a set. Like most of the hand-makers, contact with questions for current stock.

Blue Skies Workroom - Alyssa Salomon (my sister-in-law but I get nada zilch zero per sale) prints cyanotypes & silkscreens on fabric and paper to create tote bags, zippered pouches, linen towels, clever signs, pillows of several shapes and sizes, and hand-bound creative journals & notebooks, including her "Fill or Fondle books" which are a combination photo & design sampler of Alyssa's work and an opportunity to collaborate by adding work of your own. She also makes terrific linen aprons - check with her directly to see what designs she has available. We've given them as gifts to friends who love cooking and there have been tears each time.

Monolith Knives - Really terrific fixed blade and folding knives. I have one my wife bought me, and after I figured out how to stop cutting myself with it, it has been great. I've done all sorts of things with it that knives shouldn't do but do anyway because, well, you don't have a screwdriver/crowbar/hammer/axe handy at the moment. A+ gift for someone who needs a few scars to help build some character.

Kinderhook Farm - Some of the best meat around in these parts. Or so I've been told. Terrifically well run farm, nice to the animals (believe me, I've spoken with the chickens personally) and staffed by good people. I don't think they ship, but they might. They do have drive up service with plenty of distancing, so if you are in the area or passing through, you can order to go and go.

Richard Messina Designs - A master of hand forged gold jewelry. Incredible stuff. He makes other lovely pieces, but his hand-forged stuff is where the skill shows. Pieces here look smooth and gracefully curved after beginning as a flat bar or round rod of gold. There are often waiting lists for his cuffs and neck rings, understated pieces that are knock out in person.

Happy Chickens at Kinderhook Farms by Jorn Ake, on Flickr
    THanks for this Jorn !!!
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Katherine Lincoln Jewelry: https://www.katherinelincoln.com/ - Brooklyn based jewelry designer (industrial/organic designs)
    Stylish Spoon: https://stylishspoon.com/#sthash.NMS79rWa.dpbs - NYC based small batch gluten free, dairy free, soy free baked goods

Both of the above are NYC based women entrepreneurs that care passionately about their products and are worthy of support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throwing a couple links around...
    Fine stuff out of Asheville, NC https://eastfork.com/
    For the glutinous side from Charleston, SC https://www.peninsulagrill.com/store...e-coconut-cake

And lets not forget the folks that support this place.
    The likes of, but not limited to:
    https://www.richardsachs.com/the-shop/
    https://www.wintercutlery.com/
    https://www.44bikes.com/shop/
    http://nixfrixshun.com/nixfrixshun-u...cle-chainlube/
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call there. Eric Estlund in particular. I know someone who is not a fan of big kitchen knives and has been asking for a "real" paring knife after our visits to Italy where paring knife use is an art form.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-25-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what to offer but I know what I need right now. A good pepper grinder that last your lifetime. I am sick of the disposable plastic ones. I am inclined to buy a Peugeot.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Not sure what to offer but I know what I need right now. A good pepper grinder that last your lifetime. I am sick of the disposable plastic ones. I am inclined to buy a Peugeot.
    I've found Peugeot to be inconsistent or horrible. Get a Perfex (it is also French.) Takes a little break-in and some adjusting to get dialed in, but after that, it is a forever grinder. Or if you can't find that, look for an Atlas. Old Greek style pepper grinder. Again, a little break-in required but once done, forever. Both of these can be found occasionally at curio and antique shops used, which if they run smoothly can be the way to go.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helena Pratt is a talented ceramicist based in Girona. We are fortunate to have a number of lovely pieces from her. Her work incorporates the sea, sun and sky of the Costa Brava region in unique ways. She is happy to take on special projects and easy to communicate with. She has been commissioned by many top restaurants in Spain. Dinner at the renowned El Cellar de Can Roca takes place over her bowls and plates (so I hear)!Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 12.56.53 PM.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/hellenicaceramics/?hl=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Dan's mugs over all that I have.

www.etsy.com/shop/danzulawskipottery
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handmade, crafty, creative, unique? Nerdy, maybe? If you're shopping for less sophistication, my friend Kyle makes monster art and merch that's preferred by 2 out of 2 highschool/college age kids in my house.

https://kyle-stanley-hunter-art.myshopify.com
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast