Thread: The Digital Nomads Did Not Prepare for This

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Digital Nomads Did Not Prepare for This

The Digital Nomads Did Not Prepare for This | New York Times

"For a certain kind of worker, the pandemic presented a rupture in the space-time-career continuum. Many Americans were stuck, tied down by children or lost income or obligations to take care of the sick. But for those who were unencumbered, with steady jobs that were doable from anywhere, it was a moment to grab destiny and bend employment to their favor.

Their logic was as enviable as it was unattainable for everyone else: If you’re going to work from home indefinitely, why not make a new home in an exotic place? This tiny cohort gathered their MacBooks, passports and N95 masks and became digital nomads.

They Instagrammed their workdays from empty beach resorts in Bali and took Zoom meetings from tricked-out camper vans. They made balcony offices at cheap Tulum Airbnbs and booked state park campsites with Wi-Fi. They were the kind of people who actually applied to those remote worker visa programs heavily advertised by Caribbean countries. And occasionally they were deflated.

David Malka, an entrepreneur in Los Angeles, had heard from friends who were living their best work-abroad lives. In June, he created a plan: He and his girlfriend would work from Amsterdam, with a quick stop at a discounted resort in Mexico along the way.

The first snag happened almost immediately. In Cabo San Lucas, Mr. Malka and his girlfriend realized that the European Union wasn’t about to reopen its borders to American travelers, as they had hoped. Returning to the United States wasn’t an option: Mr. Malka’s girlfriend was from the United Kingdom, and her visa wouldn’t allow it.

The two decided to stay in Mexico a bit longer. At first it was glamorous, Mr. Malka said. Working by laptop — he manages a portfolio of vacation rental properties — they had the resort to themselves. But by the second week, their situation began to feel like “Groundhog Day.” The city and the beach were closed, so the couple never left the resort. Meanwhile, the travel shutdown was hammering his business.

“All we could do is sit by the pool or go to the gym,” Mr. Malka said. The repetition, boredom and isolation all wore on them."
    Last edited by guido; 11-10-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Digital Nomads Did Not Prepare for This

My sister and BIL are both software engineers. My sister has always worked from home, her husband has since the pandemic. They have a Tesla model Y and do road trips to remote locations and work. The network of charging stations is their only limitation but so far they've done what they want. I'm looking forward to being an online instructor in two years, I can do that from anyplace with a signal.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Digital Nomads Did Not Prepare for This

On one hand some digital nomads ended up stuck at places. On the other hands other enjoyed being able to choose which country offered the best places to live during a pandemic. I have joined a fair number of language exchange meetups over the last year and a half and during the summer I chatted with a number of digital nomads who decided that after the initial strong complete lockdown leaving in south of spain was a better alternative than staying in their home country where they had initially decided to retreat to stay close to family. I also met a group of Bulgarian students who were working as part of a stage for their university diploma. As they had to work remotely these girls had agreed with both their employer and university to do it from Andalucia instead of their home country, enjoying the beaches and tapas after work.

If you are living from the tourism industry like one of the example cited, I think it doesn't matter if you are a digital nomad or have a homebase, this is a difficult period.
    --
    T h o m a s