User Tag List

Thread: That time you went for a ride but you weren't in THAT kind of shape

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default That time you went for a ride but you weren't in THAT kind of shape

One day at band camp, yesterday actually, I went for a ride with some long legged assassin who frequents this place. The mind is a funny thing, you remember how things were not how they are infact. I'm a wee touch out of shape right now but my brain and legs are deniers.

About one hr. into the ride my body assplodes in spectacular fashion yet my fantasy persists. "Nahhh I am just having a bad day". What utter BS, my arse is in need of some base miles. Ouch.

Old race horses never learn ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: That time you went for a ride but you weren't in THAT kind of shape

Oh, you mean how I am *every* day? hrm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile, the view from behind the other set of handlebars on this ride was, Holy crap don't lose that draft, I know my fitness is a little off but when is he going to slow the Fvck down. Thankfully an hour into the ride our fitness started to line up or tilt slightly in my favor. Never being one to pass up the opportunity to make a riding partner suffer, I pushed harder than my current lack of fitness should have allowed and got us back in a respectably slow time.

I guess it's time to cut back on the IPA consumption, fire up the yoga videos, and get ready for a long slow winter.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why, and I am not a golfer, but this thread reminds me of my favorite golfing expression:

"I wish I could play my normal game just once."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!

i remember a technical MTB group ride where i showed up (about 8 people), took a look around, and thought "I'm at the very least mid pack here". some beer guts, people having a good time, you know the crowd.

Then they started riding. It was like they had gotten shot out of a cannon, and I was tailgunning within 2 minutes. they were ALL better at EVERYTHING: on the flats, climbs, downhills, technical sections, dirt roads, you name it. I was literally the worst... everywhere. The only thing that kept me going was "one of these people will crack". (Then I cracked.)

Wasn't really fun at the time but in hindsight, one of my best rides ever. Stuck around until covid hit, and even held my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
    Not sure why, and I am not a golfer, but this thread reminds me of my favorite golfing expression:

"I wish I could play my normal game just once."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made the same mistake of judging other by their appearance and have suffered for it. This is definitely true in the mountain biking community. My mountain bike skills are mediocre at best, and I have had my ass handed to me by more than one beer gutted rider.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    LOL!

i remember a technical MTB group ride where i showed up (about 8 people), took a look around, and thought "I'm at the very least mid pack here". some beer guts, people having a good time, you know the crowd.

Then they started riding. It was like they had gotten shot out of a cannon, and I was tailgunning within 2 minutes. they were ALL better at EVERYTHING: on the flats, climbs, downhills, technical sections, dirt roads, you name it. I was literally the worst... everywhere. The only thing that kept me going was "one of these people will crack". (Then I cracked.)

Wasn't really fun at the time but in hindsight, one of my best rides ever. Stuck around until covid hit, and even held my own.
    That's basically me at any MTB group ride. Former roadie with respectable (for amateur) power to mass ratio, couldn't do body English on the MTB...

Good on you for hanging tough. Maybe one of these days I should get flat pedals for my MTB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Too Tall One of many...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never have that problem because I have been" laying down a good base" since the 80s. Never get out of the laying down a good base mode, but when I do....