User Tag List

Thread: Coronavirus charities

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coronavirus charities

2020 has been a tough year for me in many ways but my family’s finances are not one of them. I am looking for charity suggestions to help people who have had it worse than us. While many in the US are worse off than a year ago we as a country are still in a much better place than a lot of the world. I saw news about indigenous communities in the Amazon doing very poorly and I am sure they are not alone. What organizations are other people here donating too that are doing good work helping people who really need it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus charities

I can't speak to a particular charity, but this tool might help you ID areas to search for a charity doing something.
    https://tracktherecovery.org/

if you select WA you can see for unemployment for example, the low income unemployment is 20%! Small business open is down 25%! King County has low income unemployment at 22.1% vs high income only down 2.6%. It might help you target searches for charities addressing those in need near you.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our local United Way established a Covid-19 fund which became a central clearinghouse to distribute donations to local charities whose needs increased as a result of the pandemic.

You may have something similar in Seattle. Contact your local United Way.

While I'm by no means wealthy, my situation is like sailor's family as I wasn't impacted by the pandemic. I donated my government stimulus check to the United Way fund mentioned above, rather than try to figure out which of the numerous local charities I could distribute the money to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer charities focused on other poorer countries as many people there are worse off than anyone here.
    https://grist.org/justice/deforestat...in-the-amazon/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I think there are many Americans who are in need right now and encourage you to donate to your local food bank, Doctors without Borders probably ticks a lot of boxes. Add a pandemic to already pre-existing medical catastrophe's and seems like a growing need. Someone needs to vaccinate 10s millions of refugees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local food banks. Truly the best spent money in terms of donations right now. We’ve been giving monthly to our very small local food bank. They are swamped. The director said one issue is that kids aren’t in school, so there is no free breakfast and lunch keeping them going. And reduced ability to check on families in rural areas. Kid comes to school hungry, social services can be notified to check on the family. No school, no indicator, no check. Food banks are really important.