Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't underestimate the value of a really good grinder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Don't underestimate the value of a really good grinder

79B3128C-C1EF-42F7-B1C5-3BECC0FBFC30.jpegThis Saeco has done it well since around 1992. When I worked at Espresso Royale in Ann Arbor, we opened up a third four-group machine to help speed up the lines. When we did that, we added a whole bean area with an amazing assortment. Since the owners didn’t want to invest in yet another full commercial grinder for decaf espresso on this line, we used this for two years for decaf. When it was retired, I grabbed it. It has been used daily ever since, and I changed the burrs just once. Now, it has mostly been used for French Press, which doesn’t put a big demand on the burrs, but I have brewed my share with the moca pot. If you can see it in the photo, it has shot so much coffee out from the burrs, it wore a hole in the plastic hinged lid. I had to attach a metal screen inside to deflect the grinds away from the plastic.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that is beausage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Now, who washes their moka pot? I was always told to only rinse, no soap and no scrub with a sponge of any sort. Solo dita e acqua - only fingers and water.
    Fingers and water, and then wiping with a dish towel. Fewer and fewer things in the kitchen get soap.

The worst is when someone, I’m not naming names, reassembles the wet moka pot. Grrr.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any experience with Wilfa or Fellow (Ode) grinders?

A reliable source in the UK is saying these are the buy once cry once Euro options that are less noisy, clunky as Baratza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Any experience with Wilfa or Fellow (Ode) grinders?

A reliable source in the UK is saying these are the buy once cry once Euro options that are less noisy, clunky as Baratza
    No personal experience, but by all accounts the Fellow Ode is geared for brewed coffee, not espresso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
    No personal experience, but by all accounts the Fellow Ode is geared for brewed coffee, not espresso.
    Good catch but actually only need for filter coffee, well, I do use a Moka pot which it says it's not for but I'm surprised that grinder couldn't handle stovetop espresso. I do like the look of that grinder though.

The Wilfa appears to come in a low and high end option

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good catch but actually only need for filter coffee, well, I do use a Moka pot which it says it's not for but I'm surprised that grinder couldn't handle stovetop espresso. I do like the look of that grinder though.

The Wilfa appears to come in a low and high end option
    Oh yeah, that was more of an FYI than a warning - I wasn't sure what your brew methods are. These may be of interest:

and

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for those links. I've dutifully added James Hoffmann to my man crush list. Never has anyone had me so wantonly want to open up my wallet and hand over €300 for a slow af burr grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided on the silver Wilfa Uniform grinder without the built in scale but now I can't find one in stock anywhere. If anyone can find a place where I can order one you would make my year. Take my money, Norway

https://youbarista.co.uk/products/wi...grinder-silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found it in Norway at the designer and former barista world champion's coffee shop but they only ship to Norway. I have a friend in Oslo but she probably won't visit Barcelona until summer and I'd like it way before then.

https://timwendelboe.no/product/wilf...v=04c19fa1e772

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our Niche finally arrived last week. Wow! 16g in -- 16g out, there is zero.001 mess on the counter (which is very important around here), super quiet, and a small footprint. We have a somethingsomething burr grinder that has stayed in the cupboard for years at time only brought out for short periods to make a mess and not the best shot. We go through a pound every four days here so Pete's grinders have done a commendable job but now every day is better than the day I bring home a pound from Pete's. AND, my wife just got up and said, "I love our new machine. It is sopretty."
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilfa Uniform silver without the scale in the lid incoming this weekend. I picked up some Java beans via Mozonte, Nicaragua and roasted by Right Side to christen once she's here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently went against my better judgement and got a Baratza Encore to use for my CupOne and V60. I forgot how loud grinders can be. However, so far I'm impressed with what I get out vs what I put in. However, the decibel level makes me (and wifey) appreciate the Eureka Atom that much more.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got my Wilfa Uniform Silver after waiting more than a year and a half but it is a thing of beauty. I'm weighing 12g of locally roasted Kenya AA on a Hario digital scale and grinding per 200ml cup with 58mm flat burrs. I started out in the middle of the recommended settings - 21 - for a V60 pour over and the coffee is flawless. I was having my beans pre-ground during the waiting period but this is great because I can have more than one type of bean and choose the cup I'm in the mood for. Shout out to Le Creuset's 200 ml ceramic mug it's the perfect size for pour over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got my Wilfa Uniform Silver after waiting more than a year and a half but it is a thing of beauty. I'm weighing 12g of locally roasted Kenya AA on a Hario digital scale and grinding per 200ml cup with 58mm flat burrs. I started out in the middle of the recommended settings - 21 - for a V60 pour over and the coffee is flawless. I was having my beans pre-ground during the waiting period but this is great because I can have more than one type of bean and choose the cup I'm in the mood for. Shout out to Le Creuset's 200 ml ceramic mug it's the perfect size for pour over.
    Congratulations, looks like a work of art as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to use my angle grinder on a coffee bean, but as soon as the grinder wheel made contact with the bean the bean flew across the garage, I never found the bean.

My priority when I was looking for a grinder was that it must be able to do a Turkish grind as well as other grinds I use, and those are hard to find, it's easy to find a dedicated Turkish only grinder but not one that will do Turkish and all the other grinds, so I ended up with the Kohl Pressogrind, it's a hand crank grinder with conical burrs. I got on their website just now but apparently, they're sold out, probably due to C19 BS. But it does all sorts of grinds course to fine powder type of grind for Turkish coffee, and the cost was only $30!

When my grinder breaks there is another grinder I learned about after I bought the Kohl that is also pretty good, made by Zassenhaus called the Santiago, as a bonus it also looks nice, plus has a 25 year warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the only thing that disappoints me about my Niche grinder is that it's not a true single-doser, in that there's still quite a bit of variance between what goes in and what comes out.

Sometimes, 16.60 g means 16.60 g +/- 0.05 g; other times, I get 16.20 g out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    I guess the only thing that disappoints me about my Niche grinder is that it's not a true single-doser, in that there's still quite a bit of variance between what goes in and what comes out.

Sometimes, 16.60 g means 16.60 g +/- 0.05 g; other times, I get 16.20 g out...
    Did you measure each particle??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Did you measure each particle??
    Do you mean ground particulate or beans?

Former, no. Latter, yes.

Either I'm doing it wrong (likely), or the grinder is not true "zero-retention" (I'd be satisfied with +/- 0.1 g).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i could handle .1 or .2....but .4 is a lot. hope you get that sorted. wouldn't mind a single dose grinder down the road.
    -Dustin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast