Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle riding while properly drunk or otherwise out of your mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bicycle riding while properly drunk or otherwise out of your mind

If you are neither of the above categories than take note, you get a hallpass.

Flannel long sleeve shirts.

My sincere, deep and hones apologies if you are they. I'll look deeply into your eyes and whisper "honey, no."

flan1.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-11-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bicycle riding while properly drunk or otherwise out of your mind

I worked at the Coffee Connection in Cambridge, MA summer after sophomore year in college while attending BU art school. One Saturday night after work I swung a leg over my bike to ride home to Brookline and went right over the other side. Though what I wore escapes me, I was listening to Bob Marley and made it home without further incident.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I worked at the Coffee Connection in Cambridge, MA summer after sophomore year in college while attending BU art school. One Saturday night after work I swung a leg over my bike to ride home to Brookline and went right over the other side. Though what I wore escapes me, I was listening to Bob Marley and made it home without further incident.
    Huge style points.

I've got another. Sitting on a beach with some pals maybe outside Tel Aviv maybe drinking to excess cheap wine. When we decided to break up the party I got on my bicycle and started wobbling home. "Oh looky at that State Flag just asking to be taken home". Imagine drunk me way up a flag pole unclipping this flag because the cord was locked? Imagine there were armed patrols incoming who, thank g-d, were too engaged to look up. I was pooping square bricks until they passed by. Still have that flag.

Who knew that riding bicycles while drunk was a good idea?

*PS There was NO flannel involved.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-17-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That could have ended poorly.
    I bet you've given that some thought over the years.

You captured the flag. I'd definitely keep that.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time I rode a bicycle drunk was the last time I was drunk and the last time I had a drink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was a youth I had an uncontrolled problem and it is fortunate I had no car because I'd ride my bike home and next day not remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always envied the sort of casual shirt and bike shorts look (e.g. what you see on the Radavist) but I feel ridiculous. Granted I'm not much of a clothes horse (and haven't been for over a decade) but it just doesn't look right - probably in the same way that I have trouble wearing an untucked shirt.

I did just order an LL Bean checked shirt as a Christmas gift from my parents so we'll see - don't think it will become bike gear though.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do an annual fall ride called the "Captain Morgan Eliminator".

The "highlight" of the ride was a series of matched elimination sprints through two parallel culverts, with one rider in each culvert. You'd race the other person, but have no idea how fast they were going, or in some instances if they were even trying to race you.

As it was a fall ride, hunter orange and warm clothes were a must, and we consumed lots of rum to stay warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a nearly constant patron and occasional employee of the Coffee Connection from '79 through the Starbucks buyout, so I'm sure our paths crossed back in the day. Fondly remembered times indeed.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Flannel-lined jeans are a plus for low-speed spills brought on by inebriation.

This may or may not have something to do with a recent celebratory lap of the neighborhood, after dark, on the fat bike. Covid risk from a labrador retriever licking your face while laying in a leafy gutter, that’s near zero, right?

PS tire pressure was all wrong
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I was a nearly constant patron and occasional employee of the Coffee Connection from '79 through the Starbucks buyout, so I'm sure our paths crossed back in the day. Fondly remembered times indeed.
    I was there summer of '81. Wonderful crew. I was a dishwasher.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was there summer of '81. Wonderful crew. I was a dishwasher.
    I mostly did fill-ins for holidays as a favor to management. The bar or retail. I was working for software startups in and around central square and living in somerville, allston, jp and brookline.
    Last edited by guido; 11-18-2020 at 05:25 PM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predict this thread has a long life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used To Be’s (what a great name for a bar) was about 2+ miles from my folks beach house in NJ.

Our options were: get a ride there and walk back or just ride the beach cruisers. This was way before Uber and cabs were scarce enough that even if you successfully called one it’d have been likely to get snagged by someone else before you were able to climb in.

Rt 35 was two lanes in each direction separated by a block in between, including said tavern. Speed limit 35-40 and full of jersey shore idiots on the weekend. Thank gawd the shoulder was clearly painted and nearly the width of a third lane on its own. I shudder to think.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 11-18-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I predict this thread has a long life.
    As described in an earlier thread, the second of my several collar bone fractures occurred on the way home from a wine tasting at the bosses back yard. I rode my bike so I that wouldn't have to drive home drunk. Crashed at the end of his driveway. Concussion, too!
    I gave up riding while drunk after that (late 70s).
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife laughs/cringes about my "and we were drinking stories" from my youth

Titles of a few of the stories could be:

Early 90's - Mte Ste Anne World Cup Famous People with Broken Collar Bones
    Early 90's Mte Ste Anne World Cup Pierced Lip Experience
    Late 90's - Mte Ste Anne - Gondola Ride to the "Sexy" Party
    Montreal / Hull and other dirty strip clubs with Olympic athletes
    A few fireball experiences that are best forgotten,if I could remember them.
    "I am the Mayor of Beer Town"

Bixi riding in Montreal at the jazz festival - wife was part of this one

A not so funny one is the junior athlete that was hit by a car walking back to his condo at Mount Ste Anne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask DCT about the time it took me 25 minutes to find his apartment in Greenwich on my bike from about a mile away earlier this year. Better than driving home from the bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    Ask DCT about the time it took me 25 minutes to find his apartment in Greenwich on my bike from about a mile away earlier this year. Better than driving home from the bar.
    That sounds like a worth venture.

Get him to tell about getting locked out of his hotel room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather see the flannel shirt crowd riding bikes than driving trucks.

Bottom line, as long as you are riding a bike, you get a pass on the style. Note: I have almost totally abandonned the bib short for my riding, even on the road.

As for riding while drunk I did it. Not very proud of it.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-24-2020 at 04:54 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast