User Tag List

Page 16 of 97 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I can agree that Hitler comparison is over reach, but I do think claiming Trump is a wanna-be dictator is a fair accusation.

He can win the election outright, although I think the odds are against him. The question is how far will he go to try to invalidate the election, question the election, ask others to violate their oaths because only he can save the union
    Comparisons with hitler are overreach only in the context of everything we now know about what hitler was ultimately responsible for. In other words, our hindsight with respect to hitler is perfectly 20/20. hitler was the apotheosis of evil, but he wasn't that in 1933 or 1938 or even 1939. Trump isn't there. Yet. (Though he is indisputably 'evil'.)

IMO, it is hard not to walk through a place like Yad Vashem (the Jerusalem version) and not come away with an eery chill as regards the elements of cult like hero worship, new and very effective forms of propaganda, creating narratives and making the 'facts' fit them, and stoking anger / hate / violence / fear, all of which are attendant to both hitler's and Trump's respective ascensions to power. Like Trump, hitler came to power in a democratic process (I guess "quasi democratic" is more proper with respect to Trump, but I'll leave that to another thread).

The answer to your question is - he will stop at nothing; there are no limits. Just when you think he is scraping the crud off the scum that's stuck in a hidden crevice at the bottom of the barrel, he finds a way to go lower. And the last three years have shown that Republicans will do nothing to stop him. The United States is teetering on the precipice. That may sound like hyperbole and 'left leaning propaganda.' Objectively, it really isn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good intelligent read, thank you everyone and genuine good luck for November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Then compare President Obama to Hitler too, as the same treatment happened under him. But you most likely will refuse to believe that.

Even so, if you feel the Hitler comparison is not an over-reach, you may need to brush up on history.
    I thought further about your comments.

I will assume you voted for Trump.

If it helps you to sleep at night to imagine his predecessor was equally guilty of crimes against humanity, fair enough.

If you did not know that this would be the outcome were he to become president, then you have no business suggesting I should brush up on my history.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I thought further about your comments.

I will assume you voted for Trump.

If it helps you to sleep at night to imagine his predecessor was equally guilty of crimes against humanity, fair enough.

If you did not know that this would be the outcome were he to become president, then you have no business suggesting I should brush up on my history.
    And if it helps you sleep at night believing all the extreme BS put forth on Trump, so be it. I sleep just fine. I hope you do too!

And by the way, if he loses, he'll leave the White House. Don't believe the hype. Yeah, I know what he said. He says a lot of things.

And yes, I voted for him the last time. This time? I was hoping to have someone worthwhile to vote for. Biden or Trump- for me, this choice sucks out loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if it helps you sleep at night believing all the extreme BS put forth on Trump, so be it. I sleep just fine. I hope you do too!

And by the way, if he loses, he'll leave the White House. Don't believe the hype. Yeah, I know what he said. He says a lot of things.

And yes, I voted for him the last time. This time? I was hoping to have someone worthwhile to vote for. Biden or Trump- for me, this choice sucks out loud.
    So...you are voting for him again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there's always Yeezy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So brush up on your history and posit a future with four more years of this disfunction this idiot has caused.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"America is trapped in an abusive relationship—not just with the pussy-grabbing President Donald Trump, our abuser-in-chief, but also with the Republican Party, its white Christian base, the police, and the increasingly uninhibited “good guys with guns,” whose vigilante actions are evidently becoming increasingly brazen. And unless liberals, leftists, and all Americans of good conscience are willing to confront the abusive character of the authoritarian right in no uncertain terms, I frankly don’t see how we can defeat surging fascism and set this country on a healthy democratic path."

The rest of the article, here:

https://religiondispatches.org/why-t...GO03a1YcquvzXw
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    So...you are voting for him again?
    Josh, as of today, I honestly don't know. I live in Massachusetts - so realistically and (unfortunately) it doesn't matter.

Trump has said plenty to lose my vote, Biden has never done anything over the years to earn my vote.

So where I'm at- Cliff notes edition:

Voting Trump is supporting my Party (yeah, and by default, the Donald), voting Biden - and I'm voting for Pelosi, Schumer, Hillary and Warren, all who make me want to vomit.

If Trump wins, we get 4 more years of the Government not working together, the media (and this place) wasting more time slamming him at every breath.
    If Biden wins, I see my taxes going up. His health worries me, Harris has not impressed me either. By not condemning the riots and violence and destruction of recent, you lose me...

Whoever I vote for, I'll be holding my nose tightly over my mask.

Maybe time to look at Jo Jorgenson...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh, as of today, I honestly don't know. I live in Massachusetts - so realistically and (unfortunately) it doesn't matter.

Trump has said plenty to lose my vote, Biden has never done anything over the years to earn my vote.

Voting Trump is supporting my Party (yeah, and by default, the Donald), voting Biden - and I'm voting for Pelosi, Schumer, Hillary and Warren, all who make me want to vomit.

If Trump wins, we get 4 more years of the Government not working together, the media (and this place) wasting more time slamming him at every breath.
    If Biden wins, I see my taxes going up. His health worries me, Harris has not impressed me either. By not condemning the riots and violence and destruction of recent, you lose me...

If nothing else (and there is plenty else) his destructive invective and attempts to cleave our citizenry should prevent support of Trump.

WRT your reaction to P, S, H and W: Cotton, McConnell, Lindsey G and quite a few others don't engender the same digestive system response?

If you don't want protests and the riots & destruction that sometimes accompany them, then I'd suggest you focus on addressing their root causes. I shouldn't need to enumerate them.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    WRT your reaction to P, S, H and W: Cotton, McConnell, Lindsey G and quite a few others don't engender the same digestive system response?
    They do, but not to the same level as those I mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If Biden wins, I see my taxes going up."

I see.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, your vote does matter and who your friends are voting for matters as well. Heck, I live in Maryland.
    Can I tell a brief motivational story about how much we have forgotten about voting matters? LOL I guess you have no choice.

In 2016 I was standing in line to vote. *This is the brief story so sit. There was a man laying on the floor who appeared to be in distress (he was experiencing a Grand Mal Seizure). I went to render assistance, he was surrounded by concerned citizens and one very serious voting place judge. The judge was listening to several people asking if the man would be able to vote. That was a real concern from folks right? Upshot was that the judge would get family members on the phone who would assist and yes he could vote.

When I returned to stand in line a woman who was near to twice my foolish age asked me what happened. Her immediate reaction was quick and visceral. She wanted assurances that his vote would be counted and that there was no monkey business to interfere with his vote (she was pointing at the grim faced poll judge).

She gets it.

When folks will not say exactly their intention that bothers me. Every vote counts.

For the record, in my lifetime I've only voted "for" a Presidential candidate one time all the rest were "against" eg lesser of two evils.

Also for the record, I'm a flag waving patriot who believes it is our duty to back the White House in spirit if not infact....until this W.H. What we are seeing is a immoral corruption of our founders intent.

Enabling white supremacist <<< I could stop right there yeah?

Our President, whomever they may be, also leads the nation by example. This W.H. is leading with the most cruel intentions which promote immoral character and subvert the very principles which I stand for and this is why I'm voting for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-26-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They do, but not to the same level as those I mentioned.
    Well, that is remarkable.

The video isn't anything wrt the monstrous catalog of vile, obstructionist and destructive behavior, of Cotton, Mitch and Lindsey...but somehow it's still worth watching.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisElec...82623659397601

And taxes? With the avalanche of challenges facing our country and the globe, and a metastasising cancer in the WH and GOP, that's your concern; a possible, deminimis tax increase. If you're concerned about $...M4A, reduction in a bloated military used largely to control the world's resources, etc., etc., etc. Your choice isn't related to Roe v Wade, is it??

There is obviously nothing more to say.

Cheers
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    a good intelligent read, thank you everyone and genuine good luck for November.
    ^^^^ This!! Thanks for the intelligent thoughtful responses and good luck in November. Without picking sides I know the circles I hang in here north of the 49th are mostly amazed and deeply saddened with the state of the polictical discord in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    And the last three years have shown that Republicans will do nothing to stop him. The United States is teetering on the precipice. That may sound like hyperbole and 'left leaning propaganda.' Objectively, it really isn't.
    Indeed, it is neither hyperbole nor "left leaning propaganda".

What with the fairly recent object lessons of history I am gobsmacked that slightly less than half the population refuses to acknowledge the danger and act accordingly. I am close to being speechless.

The father of a friend of mine was a heavy weight economist in Washington back in the '60s or '70s. Based on his perception of the US trajectory back then, he moved his family to Canada in the late '70s. Perceptive guy.

I also can't help but think that there is a substantial bit of "I'll show them" as regards people who should know better than to support Trump,but still do. Some have postulated that we never really grow up beyond grade school; for a lot of peeps I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hate the whole thing. The Trump administration has done some good things such as the treaty with Israel, UAE, and Bahrain, and the deal between Bosnia and Kosovo. Otherwise I'd like to see him go. The issue I have is the Democrat ticket, in some ways it would be a throw-away campaign like running Dole in 1996 against the incumbent Clinton. Biden was a bad presidential candidate who never got past New Hampshire. Harris dropped out because she was polling so poorly. But these are the two best choices to run against an incumbent. I would feel better about the Democrat ticket if Biden had chosen Klobuchar or Duckworth. I would feel even better if it was Evan Bayh and Klobuchar or vice versa.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A vote for Biden, is a vote for a National Time Out.
    In 4 years the Reformed Republican Party can run someone who understands republican government.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    A vote for Biden, is a vote for a National Time Out.
    In 4 years the Reformed Republican Party can run someone who understands republican government.
    What a wonderfully constructive way to phrase the situation!
    It should appeal to reasonable folks, particularly those who've raised children.
    Thank you; I feel a little better now...and I shall borrow it.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Willing to destroy the country for a low life pos.