Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
It's a form of it. Yes, there are some restrictions on eligibility (as there would be with UBI), and there's some variation in the amount paid (as there also would likely be with UBI).

The idea that SSI is an earned benefit (usually emphasized by people who are taking out more than they put in) isn't much more true than it would be of UBI. Both SSI and a UBI are redistributive efforts to guarantee a basic level of sustenance and alleviate deep poverty.
I'm making no argument for or against UBI, but describing the US Social Security system as UBI doesn't compute for me (speaking with my tax accountant hat on). People pay into SS. The amounts they draw in retirement are based on the work they did in their career and amounts they paid in. They are not eligible to draw payments from that fund until they reach a certain age. It is not universal. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but I don't see how comparing/conflating SS with UBI helps someone make a case for UBI. Admittedly, I am not SS expert.