Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
I can agree that Hitler comparison is over reach, but I do think claiming Trump is a wanna-be dictator is a fair accusation.

He can win the election outright, although I think the odds are against him. The question is how far will he go to try to invalidate the election, question the election, ask others to violate their oaths because only he can save the union
Comparisons with hitler are overreach only in the context of everything we now know about what hitler was ultimately responsible for. In other words, our hindsight with respect to hitler is perfectly 20/20. hitler was the apotheosis of evil, but he wasn't that in 1933 or 1938 or even 1939. Trump isn't there. Yet. (Though he is indisputably 'evil'.)

IMO, it is hard not to walk through a place like Yad Vashem (the Jerusalem version) and not come away with an eery chill as regards the elements of cult like hero worship, new and very effective forms of propaganda, creating narratives and making the 'facts' fit them, and stoking anger / hate / violence / fear, all of which are attendant to both hitler's and Trump's respective ascensions to power. Like Trump, hitler came to power in a democratic process (I guess "quasi democratic" is more proper with respect to Trump, but I'll leave that to another thread).

The answer to your question is - he will stop at nothing; there are no limits. Just when you think he is scraping the crud off the scum that's stuck in a hidden crevice at the bottom of the barrel, he finds a way to go lower. And the last three years have shown that Republicans will do nothing to stop him. The United States is teetering on the precipice. That may sound like hyperbole and 'left leaning propaganda.' Objectively, it really isn't.